New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2022 · Maybe its me…but R7+Canon Adapter+EF100-400L

Herb
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Maybe its me…but R7+Canon Adapter+EF100-400L

Camera set to Servo and HS electronic shutter…my wife tossed the ball for our golden retriever and I fired off the R7. Seemed to me that there shots that looked OOF. Changed to next lower HS and that looked like they were all in focus.

Is it possible that the AF and my EF lens couldn’t keep up but a RF lens would have?

Jul 01, 2022 at 10:17 PM
mdees88
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Maybe its me…but R7+Canon Adapter+EF100-400L

100-400 V1 or V2?

Jul 01, 2022 at 11:44 PM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Maybe its me…but R7+Canon Adapter+EF100-400L

mdees88 wrote:
100-400 V1 or V2?

V2

Jul 02, 2022 at 08:11 AM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Maybe its me…but R7+Canon Adapter+EF100-400L

This is subjective but it seems that the IS on my 100-400 II wanders more and takes longer to settle on an object on my R7 than my other tele lenses including my Sigma 100-400 C. The still images I've taken have been sharp however. The Canon II seems steadier on my 90D. The Sig is quite steady with the R7. I don't know how this translates to subject tracking at high frame speed since I haven't done much of this yet. Funny, the Canon II will settle after a bit, maybe its training me to be steadier. I wonder if there is some interaction between the IBIS and the 100-400 II's IS? One day i should do some field testing. For now I'm sticking with the Sigma since its lighter and narrower and has been quite sharp in use.

My other EF lenses seem improved or the same. IBIS is brilliant with non-IS lenses like the 60 macro. Too bad one can't turn off IBIS without turning off the lens IS.

Edited on Jul 02, 2022 at 09:35 AM · View previous versions

Jul 02, 2022 at 09:20 AM
Sy Sez
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Maybe its me…but R7+Canon Adapter+EF100-400L

Herb wrote:
Camera set to Servo and HS electronic shutter…my wife tossed the ball for our golden retriever and I fired off the R7. Seemed to me that there shots that looked OOF. Changed to next lower HS and that looked like they were all in focus.

Is it possible that the AF and my EF lens couldn’t keep up but a RF lens would have?

Chech this out from minute 9;00----Might answer your question?--------Rolling shutter in ES Mode?

Pre warning: It's a Chelesa/Tony Vid

Edited on Jul 02, 2022 at 11:45 AM · View previous versions

Jul 02, 2022 at 09:32 AM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Maybe its me…but R7+Canon Adapter+EF100-400L

Overall nice review and I can't disagree with any of their points. However they never used or commented on any EF lenses let alone the AF accuracy of the 100-400 II. Their comment on the advantage of the R3 is valid. If I were seriously or frequently trying to shoot the kind of wildlife they were from the kayaks, I'd have to spend the big bucks for the R3 and 100-500. Fortunately I don't. 15 fps is fast enough for me and burst mode is there for very specialized use. I wish they'd used cRAW in their buffering demonstration. Anymore, full RAW is about as useful as dual pixel RAW.

And the video also reinforces why I am glad I got the kit lens, as I think it will suit my wife's needs, mostly dogs, travel, and people quite well as shown. Its lighter than her old kit, so she'll bring it with her on our travels and I can borrow it for macro, wildlife, etc and stick to my trusty FF for most of my shooting. win win.

Jul 02, 2022 at 10:37 AM
jedibrain
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Maybe its me…but R7+Canon Adapter+EF100-400L

Herb wrote:
V2

I've got this lens on the R6, and it has a very high focus hit rate, though not 100% end up critically sharp. I'd say upper 90%s.

For action, make sure you are shooting with a very high shutter speed - 1/1600th if you can. Try that and see if it helps. If not, then try again with the IS switched off. It can actually work against you when panning the camera or following action.

Another thought, see if the menu system allows you to choose between focus priority and shutter priority. Not sure if that is an option anymore. But some cameras used to have a setting where it would fire the shot whether or not it had focus confirmed, but you could turn that off. Beware though, sometimes its frustrating when its off. As a slightly less crisp shot can be better than no shot at all.

-Brian

Jul 02, 2022 at 11:38 AM
golfnphotog
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Maybe its me…but R7+Canon Adapter+EF100-400L

Which adapter do you use for R7 with the Canon 100-400 Version II. My Canon has been collecting dust since I switched to Sony, but time to give the R7 a try.
Does the 1.4x extender (V2) work well as well?

Thank you

Jul 07, 2022 at 10:54 AM
jedibrain
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Maybe its me…but R7+Canon Adapter+EF100-400L

golfnphotog wrote:
Which adapter do you use for R7 with the Canon 100-400 Version II. My Canon has been collecting dust since I switched to Sony, but time to give the R7 a try.
Does the 1.4x extender (V2) work well as well?

Thank you

Either of the EF - RF adapters will work. I don't particularly find the control ring super necessary, though in some cases its nice to have an extra dial to assign something to. But you could save the money and get the plain adapter. They work perfectly.

I have not personally tried the 1.4x vII, but the vIII works great with the 100-400III. I can't even notice a change in image quality at all. I think there were some improvements in the vIII optically, but I'm sure the vII would work. From the camera's perspective, its not going to care. The AF system can easily handle the TC either version.

-Brian

Jul 07, 2022 at 11:56 AM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Maybe its me…but R7+Canon Adapter+EF100-400L

I've been using the 100-400 II on my R7 (with std Canon adapter) to track our 8 week old playing puppies. Not very exotic, but they are easy to find and they move very quickly and erratically. My hit rate has been quite good, I think, and I will be happy to use this combination for real wildlife. The IS seems to be performing well for static targets, better in general than my earlier assessment above. The images are sharp even in indoor low light, hand held with shutter speeds one third the effective focal length.

I'll be sticking with my trusty EF zooms including the 55-250 STM, 70-200 f4 L, 70-300 IS II, Sigma 100-400 C, and Canon 100-400 II. All of which work perfectly, I'm happy to say.

Jul 07, 2022 at 01:24 PM
armd
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Maybe its me…but R7+Canon Adapter+EF100-400L

There's no reason why it shouldn't perform well. The 100-400 work fine on the R5/R6. I would suspect that it will require tweaking of the af system (case, other settings) and perhaps require a firmware update. If you recall, people were having problems with the 100-500 when it first came out with the R5/R6 and they released firmware updates for both the lens and camera.

Jul 07, 2022 at 08:29 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.