New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

R5 - record to multiple cards

artsupreme
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · R5 - record to multiple cards

I have large memory cards and have my camera set to record cRAW + small jpeg to both cards in my R5's. I was shooting next to a buddy who had a large CFexpress and 64gb SD card in his, setup to record to multiple as well. During the middle of a burst he said "Card 2 full ?!?!?" when his camera stopped shooting because the SD card was full.

Does this make sense that the R5 would not continue to shoot and write to the CFE card when the SD card became full? I would think the R5 would keep shooting to the card with memory left, but this didn't happen. He had to remove his SD card to continue shooting.

If this is the case, then is there any way to write RAW's to both cards and avoid the camera from freezing when the SD card is full?

Jul 01, 2022 at 01:22 PM
artsupreme
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · R5 - record to multiple cards

I think I answered my own question for a solution....that it would have to be setup to record separately, and then choose cRAW for both cards in red menu #1. I still would think that "record to multiple" should keep shooting if a smaller card fills up and there's still room on the other card.

With that said for burst mode on the R5 with cRAW, would I be affecting performance by writing cRAW to both cards? In this case, I'm using the ProGrade Digital 256GB UHS-II SDXC Memory Card cards:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1499809-REG/prograde_digital_pgsd256gbck2bh_256gb_uhs_ii_v90_sdxc.html

Jul 01, 2022 at 01:32 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · R5 - record to multiple cards

artsupreme wrote:
I have large memory cards and have my camera set to record cRAW + small jpeg to both cards in my R5's. I was shooting next to a buddy who had a large CFexpress and 64gb SD card in his, setup to record to multiple as well. During the middle of a burst he said "Card 2 full ?!?!?" when his camera stopped shooting because the SD card was full.

Does this make sense that the R5 would not continue to shoot and write to the CFE card when the SD card became full? I would think the R5 would keep
...Show more

I think it has always been like that with the 2-slot Canons. You should select the file format/size for the two cards proportionally.

EBH

Jul 01, 2022 at 01:41 PM
artsupreme
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · R5 - record to multiple cards

This is very interesting as I've never looked into it but yes, if you want to use the SD card as a backup and have the camera set to "record to multiple" the camera will stop shooting if the SD is smaller and fills up.

Now I'm wondering, if the camera is setup to record separately and you select RAW to write to both cards, will the camera also freeze up when the smaller SD card is full?

Jul 01, 2022 at 01:54 PM
artsupreme
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · R5 - record to multiple cards

It's rare to stumble on something that the FM community can't answer. If I had a small capacity SD card I could test quickly but I don't.

The question remains, will an R5 stop shooting when a smaller SD card fills up when the camera is set to "record to separate" to write RAW files to both cards?

I would hope the camera keeps shooting and just writes to the CFE card, but having learned the camera freezes when set to "record to multiple" makes me wonder.

Jul 03, 2022 at 11:45 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

jedibrain
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · R5 - record to multiple cards

I believe if you set the camera to record separately and put what ever selection on each h card separately it will continue to shoot when one fills up. I think I only ran in to this one time with my 5d3.

It would be easy enough to test. Just fill up a card on your computer so it only has a few shots of space left. Put an empty card in the other slot and try it.

I always shot raw to one card an jpg to a smaller SD. Now I shoot raw to both, or raw +jpg on occasion. That way I have a full backup.

Brian

Jul 03, 2022 at 01:39 PM
artsupreme
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · R5 - record to multiple cards

jedibrain wrote:
I believe if you set the camera to record separately and put what ever selection on each h card separately it will continue to shoot when one fills up. I think I only ran in to this one time with my 5d3.

It would be easy enough to test. Just fill up a card on your computer so it only has a few shots of space left. Put an empty card in the other slot and try it.

I always shot raw to one card an jpg to a smaller SD. Now I shoot raw to both, or raw +jpg
...Show more

I plan to do this when I get back to the computer but I'm on the road and won't be able to get to it for a couple days. It's very important to know for those special occasions when you want to write to both cards for redundancy.

I plan to use it later this year on a Safari and I can't have the camera freeze at the most opportune time like what happened to my buddy the other day. It couldn't have happened to him at a worst moment. I would've bet that the R5 would have kept shooting after the smaller SD filled, but it froze on him and now I know to stay away from "record to multiple" unless you have two identically sized cards in there.

For any of the other brainiacs on FM, will writing cRAW to both CFE and this SD card linked below slow performance and cause me to hit the buffer much quicker? I'm assuming so, but I'm sure there's someone here who can dive into the transfer speeds and confirm how much it would affect performance in e-shutter burst mode:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1499809-REG/prograde_digital_pgsd256gbck2bh_256gb_uhs_ii_v90_sdxc.html

I'm using the Delkin 2TB CFE cards :

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1570534-REG/delkin_devices_dcfx1_2tb_2tb_cfexpress_power_memory.html

Jul 03, 2022 at 02:25 PM
JohnSil
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · R5 - record to multiple cards

artsupreme wrote:
This is very interesting as I've never looked into it but yes, if you want to use the SD card as a backup and have the camera set to "record to multiple" the camera will stop shooting if the SD is smaller and fills up.

Now I'm wondering, if the camera is setup to record separately and you select RAW to write to both cards, will the camera also freeze up when the smaller SD card is full?

Art, I had the same thing happen to me and I didn't think it would happen either. In my case I was recording Raw to the CF card and jpeg to the SD card. I was using the CF as a storage but didn't think it would fill up, when it did, same thing the camera stopped. I thought the SD would seamlessly pick it up.
I put in another card and like you I haven't investigated it further.
BUT here's what I think.....
I think you can pick which card previews on the back screen. IF the preview card fills first the camera can no longer preview and the camera will stop unless you go into the menu and change the preview to the other card? I think that's what happens.
For example if you pick the cards to record in succession, records to one card then when it fills to continue onto the other card it will not stop because the preview is set up to change with the card that's recording. But it's possible that when the camera is instructed to record two different file types to two different cards, if it can't do that it simply stops! I'd be really panicked to find out if I recorded, say a wedding and found a full half of it wasn't recorded on Raw because a card had filled and I didn't know it. Probably set up to save us from our own stupidity!!
If you want to test it just put your cards into the computer and fill them up then put them into the camera, erase a few shots and try it!
John

Jul 03, 2022 at 07:40 PM
bipock
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · R5 - record to multiple cards

Itís been this way for awhile. Happened a couple times on my 1Dx3s and 1Dx2s. I set mine to record cRaw to both.

You can set it to record cRaw to the main and jpegs to the secondary.

Jul 03, 2022 at 09:35 PM
artsupreme
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · R5 - record to multiple cards

I finally had a chance to test this out. If you have different sized cards and you think you are going to use the SD slot as a backup on an important shoot, be very careful because the camera will freeze when the smaller SD card fills.

I just tested all methods with a 512GB CFE and 256SD card. If set to "record to multiple", the camera freezes and will not shoot when the SD card is full. If set to "record separately", it does the same thing.

With that said the only time you don't have to be careful when using the 2nd slot as a backup is if your CFE and SD card are the same size. Then they would both fill at the same time and you wouldn't have any memory left.

I thought for sure the camera would have continued shooting and writing to the bigger card after the smaller card filled up but I was wrong. This would be a nice option to have in a future firmware update.

Jul 09, 2022 at 12:16 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password