New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

By the window

jos.thien79
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · By the window

Just a quick shot of my baby. I've been terribly busy to do any photography lately. When I saw my baby playing by the window, I just grab my camera and took a picture. Not much editing here, just crop and playing with light a bit. The photo was taken with Sony A7ii and Vivitar 55mm f/2.8 macro

By the window by Thien Nguyen, on Flickr

Jul 01, 2022 at 09:58 AM
Camperjim
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · By the window

First, I would recommend you consider a tighter crop. I have included a couple of examples.

Second, kids are full of excitement, energy, curiosity. Aside from holding the window blinds, you did not catch any of that. Instead you got a more or less blank, deer in the headlights stare.

I am also a little puzzled about posting what you called a "grab" shot. What sort of help, information, critique are you looking for? If it is about the lighting, I would agree that worked well with a decent exposure and nice range of tones. I also think the B&W treatment worked well.

Jul 01, 2022 at 12:48 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · By the window

Or perhaps a crop like:

Jul 02, 2022 at 04:34 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · By the window

Gorgeous child, Thien!

I agree about the tighter crop, but full body is a must - little man is adorable.

Jeff

Jul 03, 2022 at 02:04 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · By the window

I get the diff crops, for more emphasis on your son. Otoh, the OP has him smaller in scale compared to his surroundings ... emphasizing his size, relative to the exploration of his world.

As Jim mentioned, I'd like to see him as he was engaged to his world, rather than captivated by you (which is part of his world, technically ... just doesn't relate to the blinds). But, with kids and memories ... sometimes you just have to take what you get. You'll remember this moment and the surrounding moment it invokes for you, either way.

Different topic: Don't leave him alone around those blinds. They can be lethal for the little tykes. I lost my nephew in a set of them ... and you can't imagine just how short an amount of time it takes. Not an isolated incident, happens more than it should. Do your homework, educate yourself to whether or not yours are problem.

Jul 03, 2022 at 04:12 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jos.thien79
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · By the window

beavens wrote:
Gorgeous child, Thien!

I agree about the tighter crop, but full body is a must - little man is adorable.

Jeff

Thanks, Jeff! He just turned 1 a few days ago. And I agree that full body is a must.

Thien

Jul 06, 2022 at 06:45 PM
jos.thien79
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · By the window

RustyBug wrote:
I get the diff crops, for more emphasis on your son. Otoh, the OP has him smaller in scale compared to his surroundings ... emphasizing his size, relative to the exploration of his world.

As Jim mentioned, I'd like to see him as he was engaged to his world, rather than captivated by you (which is part of his world, technically ... just doesn't relate to the blinds). But, with kids and memories ... sometimes you just have to take what you get. You'll remember this moment and the surrounding moment it invokes for you, either way.

Different topic: Don't leave him
...Show more

Thanks about the lesson with the blinds. I didn't know about it. By the way, my baby likes to play with the blinds though. About my baby's expression, it may just a mere look to many people but it means something for me since I know what my baby was thinking when he looked at me. And like you said, sometimes we just take what we get.

Thien

Jul 06, 2022 at 06:49 PM
gaopa
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · By the window

nice photo of a cute kid......

Jul 17, 2022 at 07:43 PM
Artekka

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · By the window

I'm a fan of the current crop emphasizing how small they are given that we as adults have reference to the size of the windows and the blinds. I think if you were to crop anything out, it should be the carpet/rug. I'm not a fan as it adds an additional element to pull my eye from the child. Cropping out the bottom and a bit of the left while maintaining the aspect ratio should keep a lot of the space above the head to again show how small they are.

I understand why people are saying that a child traditionally is captured with excitement, energy, joy, etc, but the reality is that isn't always the case. It's okay to take pictures of children or anybody for that matter in neutral or inquisitive mood. You captured innocence here and that's okay. They're just exploring and holding on as best they can. This is the critique forum though so it is only our opinion to let you know what looks best to us, not necessarily what you like.

Congrats on them turning 1. Keep shooting.

Jul 20, 2022 at 09:57 PM
Melor
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · By the window

I like CamperJim's close crop. I favor portraits such as this in a little tighter. This one does it for me. If I had to go full body, I go NZ style... AuntiPode removed the unneeded part above the head bringing it in tighter but still full body.

When cropping for web display the ratio is highly flexible. When for frames on the wall, digital frames, etc. I tend to look at my images at different ratios. Usually the desired ratio will cause me to favor a tighter or looser crop or sometimes not selecting an image to work with. For example this image would probably not be my first choice for an electronic photo frame. For this reason when shooting portraits I usually try to capture a few shots in both landscape and portrait orientation because you might find a different location to display than your usual or intended orientation.

Paul

Paul

Jul 21, 2022 at 08:36 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password