New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

EF to RF Adapters...

die_kruzen
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · EF to RF Adapters...

Hello all. I have several DSLR lenses I would like to adapter to a new R body (probably R6). The main ones I would like to adapt are:

135L
70-200L (v2)
50 1.2
85 1.8
45 2.8

My guess is that these would all work with Canon's new set of adapters, however what I am unclear about is whether they would also support continuous focus for these lenses. Or, is the continuous capability reserved for RF lenses only.

Thank you in advance.

Jul 01, 2022 at 04:28 AM
dugaut
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · EF to RF Adapters...

I used the 70-200 f/2.8 EF on an R5 with a control ring adapter (Canon) and have used that lens on a 1DX II. I noticed not one bit of difference in terms of focus speed or accuracy, except of course I had more features with the R5.

Jul 01, 2022 at 06:39 AM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · EF to RF Adapters...

The question wasn't about focus speed or accuracy though, it was with using the continuous focus mode. I see no reason why the lenses wouldn't work the same on the R bodies as the DSLRs, so I would have to say yes, continuous focus on the R using EF lenses would be as good, if not better, than on the DSLRs.

Jul 01, 2022 at 06:46 AM
jedibrain
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · EF to RF Adapters...

If by continuous focus, you mean the mode where its constantly trying to focus the lens even when you are not pressing any AF related buttons (Such as when the camera is hanging from the sling pointing at the ground), then I think the answer is yes. I don't have all of those lenses, but all the EF lenses I do have will do the continuous AF.

Also, unless you have a specific need for that feature, I think you'll find it horrible and turn it off ASAP. It is also a drain on the battery.

The only real 'limits' are that the older EF lenses can't all keep up with the full mechanical shutter rates of the new bodies. The 135L for example can't hit 12FPS on the R5/6 in MS or EFCS mode. In ES mode they can still do the 20, at least if wide open and at an appropriate shutter speed (there are limits described in camera's manual).

Overall I think you'll see nothing but improvement moving to the R bodies with a new R6. I love mine.

-Brian

Jul 01, 2022 at 08:11 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · EF to RF Adapters...

die_kruzen wrote:
Hello all. I have several DSLR lenses I would like to adapter to a new R body (probably R6). The main ones I would like to adapt are:

135L
70-200L (v2)
50 1.2
85 1.8
45 2.8

My guess is that these would all work with Canon's new set of adapters, however what I am unclear about is whether they would also support continuous focus for these lenses. Or, is the continuous capability reserved for RF lenses only.

Thank you in advance.

Yes, AF will be fine. Lens IS is a bit weird and will not stop when you remove the finger.

EBH

Jul 01, 2022 at 10:20 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password