New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2022 · DIF with R7 and RF 100-400 with RF 2x TC

Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · DIF with R7 and RF 100-400 with RF 2x TC

Rolling shutter effect with maybe 20% of shots. 80% no problem.

Not bad for 'cheapo' camera with 'cheapo' zoom and 2x TC.

2 - heavy crop from different shot

Edited on Jun 30, 2022 at 04:35 PM · View previous versions

Jun 30, 2022 at 03:13 PM
LS_Ren

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · DIF with R7 and RF 100-400 with RF 2x TC

In terms of rolling shutter/readout speed, how would you say it compared to R5 & R6?

Jun 30, 2022 at 03:50 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · DIF with R7 and RF 100-400 with RF 2x TC

LS_Ren wrote:
In terms of rolling shutter/readout speed, how would you say it compared to R5 & R6?

Sorry, no idea. If I have shot a burst of 10-30 frames, it is no issue for me if 80-90% show no rolling-shutter effect.

Jun 30, 2022 at 04:18 PM
RKnecht
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · DIF with R7 and RF 100-400 with RF 2x TC

That looks pretty darn good to me.

Jun 30, 2022 at 04:20 PM
armd
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · DIF with R7 and RF 100-400 with RF 2x TC

Pretty impressive Tony. Can’t wait to land one.

Jun 30, 2022 at 05:24 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · DIF with R7 and RF 100-400 with RF 2x TC

For context, the R7 + 100-400 lens cost only $2,100. The R5 + 100-500L lens cost $6,800. For posting on the internet and social media the R7 + RF 100-400 lens will do a better-than-average job … if you have the skillsets. The higher-resolving RF 100-500L lens will get you even more sharpness and resolution/detail, which is great if you are having to crop the image.

Jun 30, 2022 at 06:40 PM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · DIF with R7 and RF 100-400 with RF 2x TC

Or just go right down the middle and use the EF 100-400 II, great sharpness and middle cost tier.

Jun 30, 2022 at 10:39 PM
Tom Reynolds
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · DIF with R7 and RF 100-400 with RF 2x TC

The R7/100-500 doesn't like dark subjects and struggles to focus. The spotted towhee is one of the few.
http:/ /https://www.flickr.com/photos/15934944@N08/52185829415/in/dateposted-public/

This shot tests the cropability of the R7. This is a significant crop
http:/ /https://www.flickr.com/photos/15934944@N08/52185829415/in/dateposted-public/

Jun 30, 2022 at 11:37 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · DIF with R7 and RF 100-400 with RF 2x TC

I wonder if increasing the exposure by +1 or +2 will help to brighten up the shadow areas and improve on the AF acquisition.

Tom Reynolds wrote:

The R7/100-500 doesn't like dark subjects and struggles to focus. The spotted towhee is one of the few.

Jul 01, 2022 at 10:27 AM
Scotts007
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · DIF with R7 and RF 100-400 with RF 2x TC

Imagemaster wrote:
If I have shot a burst of 10-30 frames, it is no issue for me if 80-90% show no rolling-shutter effect.

The Rolling Shutter effect is a huge reason why I haven't considered making the jump to a mirrorless body. Can someone explain to me, why it doesn't appear on all photos? If it happens to one shot in a burst, shouldn't it happen to all of them? And this is only when using the electronic shutter, correct? The mechanical shutter eliminates this effect?

I apologize to all - I've been trying to wrap my head around the "rolling shutter" for about 8 months now, and just can't seem to get a grasp of it.

Jul 01, 2022 at 04:54 PM
Mike_5D
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · DIF with R7 and RF 100-400 with RF 2x TC

Scotts007 wrote:
The Rolling Shutter effect is a huge reason why I haven't considered making the jump to a mirrorless body. Can someone explain to me, why it doesn't appear on all photos? If it happens to one shot in a burst, shouldn't it happen to all of them? And this is only when using the electronic shutter, correct? The mechanical shutter eliminates this effect?

I apologize to all - I've been trying to wrap my head around the "rolling shutter" for about 8 months now, and just can't seem to get a grasp of it.

Yes, mechanical shutter or electronic first curtain shutter eliminates rolling shutter effects. He is likely only seeing rolling shutter on some frames due to the nature of his subjects. You mainly notice it when there's something in frame that you KNOW should be straight. The same thing can happen with a fisheye lens. Shoot something natural with curvy lines, crop in a little, and many may not even know you used a fisheye. But shoot a telephone pole or brick wall near the edge of frame and everyone will know.

Jul 01, 2022 at 04:59 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · DIF with R7 and RF 100-400 with RF 2x TC

Scotts007 wrote:

Do you know how to do a Google Search?

Jul 01, 2022 at 05:10 PM
agvogel
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · DIF with R7 and RF 100-400 with RF 2x TC

Scotts007 wrote:

There would be no difference in rolling shutter between DSLR and MILC when using mechanical shutter. There can still be some rolling shutter present when using MS if the shutter speed is faster than the flash sync speed, because the entire shutter is not exposed at once (someone correct me here if my facts are off).

Now when we go into electronic shutter, the readout speed of the sensor will vary depending on the camera. In cameras with stacked sensors, like the Z9, the readout speed (i.e. the time it takes to go from reading the top line to the bottom line) can be very fast, making the rolling shutter effect essentially equivalent to that you'd see with a mechanical shutter. Readout speed is affected by a few factors, but generally, cameras with stacked sensors have faster readout speeds.

If the readout speed of the sensor is much slower, say, 1/30 second, then that means there is a 1/30s lag between when the top line of the sensor is read vs the bottom - so if an object is in motion, it will look skewed.

Hope that helps.

Jul 01, 2022 at 05:11 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · DIF with R7 and RF 100-400 with RF 2x TC

agvogel wrote:
There can still be some rolling shutter present when using MS if the shutter speed is faster than the flash sync speed, because the entire shutter is not exposed at once (someone correct me here if my facts are off).

That is not the same as rolling shutter. That is the light from the flash not synching with the opening of the shutter.

Jul 01, 2022 at 05:16 PM
agvogel
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · DIF with R7 and RF 100-400 with RF 2x TC

Imagemaster wrote:
That is not the same as rolling shutter. That is the light from the flash not synching with the opening of the shutter.

Right, I'm not saying it's the same concept. But the flash sync speed is the fastest speed at which the shutter fully opens; any faster, and the sensor is partially covered at all times during the exposure, which can look like skewed moving objects in the final image.

Jul 01, 2022 at 05:28 PM
Scotts007
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · DIF with R7 and RF 100-400 with RF 2x TC

Imagemaster wrote:
Do you know how to do a Google Search?

Yes, I do. I've read that. I've searched this forum and others. Read reviews. But thanks for assuming that since I can't wrap my head around rolling shutter, that I am automatically too stupid to do research on it. I'm sorry to have asked a question on your post. Won't happen again.

Jul 01, 2022 at 09:06 PM
Scotts007
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · DIF with R7 and RF 100-400 with RF 2x TC

Mike_5D wrote:
Yes, mechanical shutter or electronic first curtain shutter eliminates rolling shutter effects. He is likely only seeing rolling shutter on some frames due to the nature of his subjects. You mainly notice it when there's something in frame that you KNOW should be straight. The same thing can happen with a fisheye lens. Shoot something natural with curvy lines, crop in a little, and many may not even know you used a fisheye. But shoot a telephone pole or brick wall near the edge of frame and everyone will know.

---------------------------------------------

agvogel wrote:
There would be no difference in rolling shutter between DSLR and MILC when using mechanical shutter. There can still be some rolling shutter present when using MS if the shutter speed is faster than the flash sync speed, because the entire shutter is not exposed at once (someone correct me here if my facts are off).

Now when we go into electronic shutter, the readout speed of the sensor will vary depending on the camera. In cameras with stacked sensors, like the Z9, the readout speed (i.e. the time it takes to go from reading the top line to the bottom
...Show more

Thank you both for the information. While I think I am understanding some of this, I know I am not understanding all of it.

Jul 01, 2022 at 09:14 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · DIF with R7 and RF 100-400 with RF 2x TC

Scotts007 wrote:
Yes, I do. I've read that. I've searched this forum and others. Read reviews. But thanks for assuming that since I can't wrap my head around rolling shutter, that I am automatically too stupid to do research on it. I'm sorry to have asked a question on your post. Won't happen again.

Not my fault that you make assumptions about a simple question I asked you, and went to the trouble of showing you how you can find MANY more explanations through Google than you can here.

Yes, I do. I've read that. Read what

Chill out.

Jul 01, 2022 at 09:23 PM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · DIF with R7 and RF 100-400 with RF 2x TC

Scotts007 wrote:
---------------------------------------------

Thank you both for the information. While I think I am understanding some of this, I know I am not understanding all of it.

I suspect that if you use mechanical shutter you get it all at once, all the data in the scene. Closer anyway

Electronic shutter, are you familiar with video at all? It goes more line by line I guess, especially interlaced. Taking more time to capture gives the motion in the subject. Though each part of the sensor may actually only be exposed 1/2000 or the ss you set

Some distortion even on film since at high ss you had a slit of the shutter exposing the film. Not all at once

Jul 01, 2022 at 09:24 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · DIF with R7 and RF 100-400 with RF 2x TC

No cropping, jpeg SOOC

Jul 01, 2022 at 11:55 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.