New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

"No, the EOS-M is not dead" says Canon

icharlie

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · "No, the EOS-M is not dead" says Canon

Guys hope they'll release new M Lenses.

https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/news/no-its-not-dead-the-eos-m-line-does-have-a-place-in-our-range-says-canon

Jun 29, 2022 at 10:36 PM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · "No, the EOS-M is not dead" says Canon

I'm repeating myself, but I really like the M6 II. It's small, lightweight, somewhat robust, has good battery life, more than 30 megapixels, shoots *.CR3 files, can zip JPGs over to my phone in a heartbeat, has USB charging, uses the small, modestly priced but good quality M lenses, any EF lens you like works natively, has great (for me) AF, decent manual controls, and more.

I toss it in a tiny shoulder bag, it weighs little and is very portable.

A few more lens options wouldn't hurt (faster or longer primes, maybe a 150-300 zoom) but I would buy its replacement in a heartbeat, unless Canon goes nuts with the price.

Jun 29, 2022 at 11:14 PM
AmbientMike
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · "No, the EOS-M is not dead" says Canon

People have been predicting it's demise. For years. Hasn't happened yet

One list of the best sellers in Japan had the black and silver models of m50 and m50 II occupying 4 of the top ten spots last year. So I'm hesitant to believe that the M is dead.

Jun 30, 2022 at 12:15 AM
dmahar
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · "No, the EOS-M is not dead" says Canon

I really enjoyed the 4 M-series bodies I have owned over the years as supplements to my dslr bodies - particularly for use when travelling, hiking or for use in an underwater housing.

So come on Canon release some new M bodies and lenses!!!

Jun 30, 2022 at 12:30 AM
brad-man
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · "No, the EOS-M is not dead" says Canon

I have an M5 and I was waiting for a M5 mkll. My hope has faded a wee bit, but I'm a stubborn SOB...

Jun 30, 2022 at 12:48 AM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · "No, the EOS-M is not dead" says Canon

It’s been three years since any camera release and longer I believe for any lenses. Actions speak louder than words…

Jun 30, 2022 at 03:50 AM
Z250SA
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · "No, the EOS-M is not dead" says Canon

Stock, demand, profit and expectations. In any order, but mostly profit. From Canon´s point of view.

Perhaps they expect that the R10 will bring/save some over to the R-camp. At least it is a good test (from my 5D4 -> R5 and getting an R10 view). Loosing the rest of the populace to the phones-are-as-good-as-cameras-camp.
Perhaps a R100 could be a next step. Perhaps it will be without an EVF.

Edited on Jun 30, 2022 at 08:52 AM · View previous versions

Jun 30, 2022 at 04:36 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · "No, the EOS-M is not dead" says Canon

For a long time, I've been saying that the M-series cameras and EF-M lenses would be finished, once the first R-series APS-C camera was released. That is now. Don't get me wrong, the M-series is great. I often use my M5 and M6 with EF-M lenses (and EF-S, EF, LTM, ...). Regardless, I maintain that the EF-M lineup is dead. OTOH, Canon will continue to say there is a future for M, until tha last one in current existence is sold. Then, no more.

Jun 30, 2022 at 06:23 AM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · "No, the EOS-M is not dead" says Canon

brad-man wrote:
I have an M5 and I was waiting for a M5 mkll. My hope has faded a wee bit, but I'm a stubborn SOB...

I just grabbed a refurb M6 II from Canon and picked up an external EVF in order to have a reliable host for my EF-M lenses. Still have the M5, but its integrated flash doesn't work (probably exposure to moisture at some point), and it has a habit of not turning on if turned off in the last few minutes prior, as I do to save battery. This now requires a battery pull to get the camera working again.

I'll say that the M6 II is a much more responsive camera, and the files are nicer - and I like having the power button on the right shoulder, as it means that I can operate the camera one-handed.

Overall, I'd appreciate Canon continuing the EF-M line, as I think the RF APS-C cameras (R7, R10) simply do not fill the same niche. That said I'm still planning to migrate over to RF with the R7 primarily for access to RF lenses as well as to eventually have a full-frame mirrorless system (probably R6 II).

Jun 30, 2022 at 07:28 AM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · "No, the EOS-M is not dead" says Canon

ALSO

An updated EOS M5 with IBIS would be a near instant buy.

Jun 30, 2022 at 07:39 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

matejphoto
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · "No, the EOS-M is not dead" says Canon

I was a HUGE fan of the EOS M line and I still own 3 EOS M bodies (Original M, M50 and M6m2) and 9 different lenses for the mount (which can't be used with any other camera system, even with an adapter).

But to be the EOS M was a strategic mistake, they should have made the RF-s mount in 2012. It would look a bit funny and the lenses would take to taper like the new RF-s lenses.

I think as soon as Canon makes couple of smaller RF primes I will sell of the EOS M system. I currently shoot most of my youtube videos on the M6m2 and 22mm pancake, I just like how small and light it is.

My opinion video:
https://youtu.be/VgW97V5PuWw

Jun 30, 2022 at 08:11 AM
Tom_W
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · "No, the EOS-M is not dead" says Canon

The M series, due to its compact format, is quite popular. Price-performance ratio is great.
Will the R series APS-C end the M? I would think that depends on the sales of the M series going forward. If it remains popular, it stays. Canon can run both lines in parallel if they want.

Jun 30, 2022 at 08:14 AM
jedibrain
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · "No, the EOS-M is not dead" says Canon

TeamSpeed wrote:
It’s been three years since any camera release and longer I believe for any lenses. Actions speak louder than words…

M50mkII was released in November of 2020, so 18months or so ago. Still, I'm not confident in the future of the M line, despite being an M owner and fan.

-Brian

Jun 30, 2022 at 08:23 AM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · "No, the EOS-M is not dead" says Canon

Hurray - weight, size and mpx are the important items for me in an apsc camera.

I have the m5 and find it (and the 11-22 and 15-45) to be practical to hang around my neck, while walking. DSLR = not, r5/r7/r3 =not. RP/R10 = not because too big with lens. I don't adapt lens because at that point, for weight, I might as well be using my R5.

I hope canon puts out a new m5. But I am tempted to m6vII (34mpx).

I am sceptical of IBIS as adding too much weight.

Canon will continue to sell it and produce new cameras as long as they sell. And they are selling well in Japan.

Edited on Jun 30, 2022 at 10:45 AM · View previous versions

Jun 30, 2022 at 10:18 AM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · "No, the EOS-M is not dead" says Canon

jedibrain wrote:
M50mkII was released in November of 2020, so 18months or so ago. Still, I'm not confident in the future of the M line, despite being an M owner and fan.

-Brian

That was a pretty light refresh, I am still not quite sure what all it really added to the mix. I will have to out and look. Ah, added better eye AF from the R5/R6, as the largest of the updates.

Jun 30, 2022 at 10:35 AM
AmbientMike
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · "No, the EOS-M is not dead" says Canon

It'd be interesting to see the first thread predicting the demise of the M system. I'm pretty sure it was considered on the verge of being discontinued, according to threads, in 2016. Probably sooner.

Still hasn't happened.

According to the article they aren't discontinuing dslr's, either. Probably because they are interested in selling cameras in a market that has contracted. Though may be ahead of 2003-2006

Jun 30, 2022 at 10:47 AM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · "No, the EOS-M is not dead" says Canon

Yes, it does seem Canon is only interested in a "maintenance" mode for the M series and DSLR lines right now, meaning the factory is still producing small numbers of whatever models were considered "current" at the time.

They did say they would do this as long as there was a demand. That demand drops year after year though, so unless Canon comes out with new camera models in the M or DSLR lineup, those are basically going into obsolescence mode.

This means that about 8 DSLRs are still available from Canon, with 4 of them being the 90D, 5D4, 6D2 and 1DX3, the other 4 being in the Rebel line up.There are 3 M models still available as well.

Now with the RF bodies, there are 5 FF options, and now 2 APS-C options for a total of 7 available models. I think the 2 newest additions are going to put the nail into the coffin for a few of the DSLRs and at least 2 of the 3 M models, and in the next year or two, the counts will go from 11 vs 7 to maybe 7 vs 7.

Jun 30, 2022 at 11:19 AM
brad-man
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · "No, the EOS-M is not dead" says Canon

johnctharp wrote:
I just grabbed a refurb M6 II from Canon and picked up an external EVF in order to have a reliable host for my EF-M lenses. Still have the M5, but its integrated flash doesn't work (probably exposure to moisture at some point), and it has a habit of not turning on if turned off in the last few minutes prior, as I do to save battery. This now requires a battery pull to get the camera working again.

I'll say that the M6 II is a much more responsive camera, and the files are nicer - and I like having
...Show more

I'm also waiting to pick up a refurbished M6mk2, I'm just waiting for a sale. We'll see which comes first, the sale or the next generation of top shelf M body.

Jun 30, 2022 at 11:37 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · "No, the EOS-M is not dead" says Canon

TeamSpeed wrote:
Yes, it does seem Canon is only interested in a "maintenance" mode for the M series and DSLR lines right now, meaning the factory is still producing small numbers of whatever models were considered "current" at the time.

They did say they would do this as long as there was a demand. That demand drops year after year though, so unless Canon comes out with new camera models in the M or DSLR lineup, those are basically going into obsolescence mode.

This means that about 8 DSLRs are still available from Canon, with 4 of them being the 90D, 5D4, 6D2 and
...Show more

+1

I think the term "maintenance mode" is a very good description for why Canon is still producing the M series and a few of DSLR's. Once the existing DSLR user base dries up from people switching over to MILC you will then see that era come to an end. For many it's already happened.
Canon will never produce another new DSLR design. M series.... maybe, but definitely not another DSLR.
Just imagine if Canon did invest heavily in a newly designed mirror flapper with all kinds of cool new tricks but still not up to par with the AF system on their mirrorless bodies. How many would they actually sell? Near zero is my guess.

Go to B&H right now and try to buy a 6DII body. There's a good reason why that body would be out of stock and only kits available.

Jun 30, 2022 at 12:00 PM
AmbientMike
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · "No, the EOS-M is not dead" says Canon

https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/news/the-10-best-selling-cameras-in-japan-last-year-no-full-frames-no-dslrs-no-nikons

Jun 30, 2022 at 12:22 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password