New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2022 · OM cameras

eddieb
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · OM cameras

Thinking of moving from Canon to OM mostly for weight and size. What does the future look like for the brand. Hate to spend money for gear that might not be around in a year or two.

Jun 29, 2022 at 07:04 PM
dcisive
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · OM cameras

I dove in a few weeks ago and added the 12-40 f2.8 ProII, 40-150 f2.8 Pro and 100-400 Oly lenses. So far it has utterly amazed me with it's performance in all areas, not just focus but especially higher ISO's. With ON1 software I easily shoot at ISO 12,800 and it appears as ISO200. While retaining all the detail. I never expected this. I'm looking at possibly letting my R5 and RF lenses go. I compared the sharpness and detail rendered the other night and the OM didn't miss a beat keeping up. Its quite shocking indeed. The lowered weight is a very welcome relief to my sore shoulders and back.

Jun 29, 2022 at 07:16 PM
BidinTime
• •
[X]
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · OM cameras

You should compare the sizes and weights before you make any moves.

I have been tempted to leave m43 to go for a format that produces better IQ, but I haven't given my collection of glass. I bought the OM-1 but that's been a mediocre improvement. So, I may still someday leave m43.

For kicks, I compared my OM-1 and 300 mm with my friend's Canon birding setup. Mine was shorter but heavier.

I think switching to m43 because it's smaller is like getting a motorcycle because you want to save gas. There are so many other factors to consider.

Jun 29, 2022 at 07:53 PM
Robin Smith
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · OM cameras

Smaller and less expensive taken as a whole. Capabilities are great (many lenses, faster/slower, bigger/smaller) and good secondhand market. 2-stops of extra depth of field for any field of view is a big advantage for most of the time. World beating IS. No idea what the system holds in the future, but m43 is likely to be around a long time, if only for video applications.

Jun 30, 2022 at 09:21 AM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · OM cameras

Even if the company went out of business today, the cameras would work for yeas to come. So I would not worry. Besides, you can always buy back into Sony etc.... I would not believe the above hyperbole regarding ISO 12,800. The sensor is small and more noisy than FF - you can't change physics. But today's noise reduction algorithms make this issue less than it has been in the past. I use Topaz DeNoise but there are many good products on the market right now.

Jun 30, 2022 at 10:15 AM
ElvisD
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · OM cameras

My opinion is that JIP is a "take no prisoners" type of company. They didn't buy the camera division because they care about photography or the Olympus legacy. They got a great deal to take the division - and its legacy costs - off Olympus' hands.

So far the marketplace seems to have a very strong appetite for the new products coming out. The OM-1 is only now showing consistent availability more than four months after launch. The 150-400 still has a months long wait list. Their other new lenses seem to be well-received.

Such demand would tend to indicate that OMDS is performing at, or above, expectations, but, only JIP knows for sure.

I'm comfortable enough with the situation to continue to buy OMDS gear.

Jun 30, 2022 at 11:08 AM
David Garcia
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · OM cameras

I purchased the OM-1 kit and 300 F4 to replace the Fuji XT-3, as Fuji was limited with respect to long glass. I thought the OM-1 would be a good alternative for travel for times when I don’t want to carry my R5 and long glass. I must say that I am pleasantly surprised… especially with the combined body/lens IS. The 300 F4 Pro with MC-14 is amazingly steady at an equivalent 840mm… and I was able to shoot a Buck profile at 1/250 shutter… and perhaps lower if I had tried. There go the days of shutter speeds of 1 1/2 or 2x the focal length. Also, the animal AF and tracking are fabulous, along with all the other built in features.

Jun 30, 2022 at 09:57 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · OM cameras

eddieb wrote:
Hate to spend money for gear that might not be around in a year or two.

I don't think gear simply evaporates...

Jul 01, 2022 at 09:03 AM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · OM cameras

eddieb wrote:
Thinking of moving from Canon to OM mostly for weight and size. What does the future look like for the brand. Hate to spend money for gear that might not be around in a year or two.

JIP bought Vaio from Sony many years ago and they are still producing laptops.

Jul 01, 2022 at 10:56 AM
eddieb
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · OM cameras

More concerned about parts availability.
molson wrote:
I don't think gear simply evaporates...

Jul 02, 2022 at 11:20 AM
Chuck Eklund
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · OM cameras

Certainly one of the big three would be a safe bet. And staying put might best meet your needs. However, individuals have been predicting the end of Olympus and now OM systems since the 4/3 days. Look at it this way, should your dire concern come true, there will all kinds bodies to garner parts from . . .

Molson is right. Gear and parts don't evaporate. There are running model T's around and Ford stopped making parts for them a long time ago.

Jul 02, 2022 at 03:39 PM
dcisive
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · OM cameras

I got motivated enough to trust the OM setup that I just put my entire R5 and RF lenses up for sale. I've been so blown away but the shear feature set and performance of this guy that I've thrown in the towel lugging around FF gear and lenses. Those days I'm afraid are OVER for me. The OM I hope will be just the beginning of more to come. You probably forgot that there were a number of bad financial dealings with the internal leaders of Olympus, they sunk their own ship. JIP has a significant amount of $$$ clout let alone I have to believe better leadership. The OM-1 has been a GREAT start for them with plenty of backorders not planned. Now they've stepped up production to alleviate the backorders by end of summer according to what they've said. The top U.S. dealers have already notified perspective buyers of the venerable 150-400 f4.5 will be able to get theirs in a matter of WEEKS not months. It's looking good for OM.

Jul 02, 2022 at 08:20 PM
RickPerry
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · OM cameras

Like many of the above members, I have been amazed at the performance of my OM-D EM-1 mkiii. I let go of my Leica system (CL with great Zeiss and Voigtlander glass) in a desire for in-bod- stabilization, great auto focus etc. I had no idea how many other features these Olympus cameras have these days. The 40-150 f 2.8 tele, along with 15 Pan/Leica f 1.7 and the 60 Oly macro is all I need. Happy to have come back to the Olympus fold.

Jul 03, 2022 at 04:49 AM
psubadger

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · OM cameras

I'll say that as a current Pentax user that's hoping to soon get an OM-1 and Olympus kit, the news around the OM brand is so much more optimistic. There has also been more progress on lenses and bodies by Olympus than I've seen at Pentax, where lenses and cameras have been quite evolutionary (new lens motors on existing optical designs, AF refinements vs new systems).

Jul 21, 2022 at 09:43 AM
Tom Reynolds
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · OM cameras

I evaluated an OM-1/100-400 versus a Canon R7/100-500. I had both in my hand and shot 2500 images with the Canon R7/100-500 before choosing the OM-1/100-400 and sending the Canon back

The weight and size savings comes from the Olympus 100-400 lens which is the same 800mm FF equivalent as the Canon 100-500. Neither the 300 f/4 nor the 150-300 give a significant weight and size advantage.

In hand, I would say that the weight and size advantage is huge! The Canon 100-500 is heavy, long and fat compared to the Olympus 100-400. A Canon R5 attached to the 100-500 would be even worse.

With lens ring/foot attached (published weights never do that) the Olympus is more than 1/2 pound lighter and significantly shorter at 500mm. Plus, the Canon 100-500 lens is fat which seemingly makes getting on the bird harder. (Your mileage may vary.) All that might not seem like that much until you get it in your hands.

Tom

Jul 21, 2022 at 01:54 PM
psubadger

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · OM cameras

Glad to hear this. I was considering a Canon setup like that and the extra size/weight seemed like it could be nice or it could be burdensome. Since I decided against the Canon, I'm glad to hear that it's burdensome in the hand, haha.

Jul 22, 2022 at 08:00 AM
Tom Reynolds
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · OM cameras

Some people like beefier, heavier rigs. I watch a professional friend of mine, not a large lady, hand hold a R5/100-500 without difficulty and I see other professionals hand hold a Z-9/800pf which is a chunky rig.

My guess is that even if a photographer could handle a larger setup, the smaller lighter setup would still be better for them.

Some photographers argue that they can hold the heavier rig steadier. Maybe, but once you have the bird in focus the OM-1 will keep it in focus anywhere in the frame.

Jul 22, 2022 at 11:28 AM
Woody Meristem

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · OM cameras

"Hate to spend money for gear that might not be around in a year or two."

Worrying about the future of OM systems is just plain silly, your gear will be around as long as you own it. If OM goes out of business your cameras and lenses won't disappear or instantly stop working.

Jul 23, 2022 at 09:53 PM

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.