New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2022 · R7 Q&A plus tips and tricks

Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · R7 Q&A plus tips and tricks

As with any new Canon camera that comes out, the Basic Instruction Manual is not very helpful, and the Advanced User Guide does not explain everything very clearly all of the time.

So this thread is for questions that you can't find in either of the above, or are not explained clearly enough.

To start off: There were rumors that you would be able to turn on an adjustable sound so that you could hear a reproduction of the electronic shutter firing. I see no such option.

It is either silent electronic shutter or audible mechanical shutter.

Jun 29, 2022 at 04:32 PM
Bill60

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · R7 Q&A plus tips and tricks

Try Yellow 3, volume. Well hidden
Cheers
Bill

Jun 29, 2022 at 06:22 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · R7 Q&A plus tips and tricks

Bill60 wrote:
Cheers
Bill

When I select Shutter Volume, it shows "Played only through headphones" at the bottom of the screen.

Jun 29, 2022 at 07:30 PM
KINGOFKNGS
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · R7 Q&A plus tips and tricks

On the R7, if you’re shooting in electronic shutter and turn the camera off to change lenses, beware that the shutter stays open and the sensor is exposed. The camera has to be in mechanical shutter mode or EFCS mode for the shutter to go down when the camera is turned off.

Jun 29, 2022 at 08:12 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · R7 Q&A plus tips and tricks

https://www.wimarys.com/canon-eos-r7-advanced-manual/

Jun 29, 2022 at 08:32 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · R7 Q&A plus tips and tricks

Bill60 wrote:
Cheers
Bill

Got it. Had to go to Red 7 first and set Silent shutter function to OFF and Shutter Mode to Electronic.

Jun 29, 2022 at 08:34 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · R7 Q&A plus tips and tricks

Is there any reason to use HDR PQ mode? Does it change RAW files? Googled, but no comprende.

The combination of IS and IBIS seems variable with different lenses. My 100-400 II wanders more than my Sigma 100-400 Contemporary. Seems like the Canon stabilizes after a bit, like its training me to hold steadier. The Sig is stable from the start.

Is there a difference between human and animal face detection? Both settings seem to equally find human, puppy, and bird eyes. Its remarkable how small the bird head can be and it still home in. Be nice to have one setting for everything. Haven't tried car eyes.

Jun 29, 2022 at 08:51 PM
Tom Reynolds
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · R7 Q&A plus tips and tricks

Terrible manual.

I had the OM-1 setup well before the R7 and I still haven't attacked customization on either camera.

Jun 30, 2022 at 12:05 AM
PinholeR5
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · R7 Q&A plus tips and tricks

KINGOFKNGS wrote:
On the R7, if you’re shooting in electronic shutter and turn the camera off to change lenses, beware that the shutter stays open and the sensor is exposed. The camera has to be in mechanical shutter mode or EFCS mode for the shutter to go down when the camera is turned off.

Not true. If you use Silent Shutter, then it stays open when you shut off the camera. However, you can turn Silent Shutter off and then set the camera to electronic shutter mode with no problem and the shutter will shut down when you turn off the camera.

Jun 30, 2022 at 10:03 PM
KINGOFKNGS
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · R7 Q&A plus tips and tricks

I believe turning the silent shutter off made it so that I could not select electronic shutter as an option any more. It was grayed out on my camera when I tried it. I'll have to try again tomorrow.

PinholeR5 wrote:
Not true. If you use Silent Shutter, then it stays open when you shut off the camera. However, you can turn Silent Shutter off and then set the camera to electronic shutter mode with no problem and the shutter will shut down when you turn off the camera.

Jun 30, 2022 at 10:09 PM
PinholeR5
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · R7 Q&A plus tips and tricks

I had the same problem originally. I set it to silent shutter and then the option to close the shutter was grayed out. I turned off the silent shutter and then was able to set the shutter to close at power off. After thinking about it, it makes sense. Silent shutter means no sound and if the shutter closes every time you turn the power off it would make a sound .

Just go to Red Menu Tab 7 and set

Silent shutter function: OFF
Shutter mode: Electronic.

Then you can go to the Yellow Menu Tab 5 and set

Shutter at shutdown: Closed. (it shows an icon representing closed or open)

Jun 30, 2022 at 10:22 PM
Bill60

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · R7 Q&A plus tips and tricks

Another Option i think, is to turn off the silent shutter option as above, stay in the electronic shutter mode, and then go to yellow menu 3, and turn the shutter volume to the far left - which effectively is silent. This does not interfere with yellow menu 5 - shutter at shutdown.
Seems odd but unless my hearing is impaired ( and thats always a possibility), it seems to do the same as silent shutter.
It seems that the shutter volume, only operates on the electronic shutter ie i can't seem to change the volume on either mechanical or EFC.

Jun 30, 2022 at 10:56 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · R7 Q&A plus tips and tricks

I haven’t received my R7 yet but it’s already giving me a headache!

Jul 01, 2022 at 07:27 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · R7 Q&A plus tips and tricks

Movie recording. Since I never shoot video, I was looking for an option to disable the MOVIE position that is next to the ON position, since it is so easy to switch past ON to MOVIE. Closest solution I could find was to into the MENU - red - 10 - 'Shutter btn function for movie' and set that to 'Half Press - Metering Only'

Jul 01, 2022 at 05:06 PM
yagimaxx

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · R7 Q&A plus tips and tricks

Imagemaster wrote:
Movie recording. Since I never shoot video, I was looking for an option to disable the MOVIE position that is next to the ON position, since it is so easy to switch past ON to MOVIE. Closest solution I could find was to into the MENU - red - 10 - 'Shutter btn function for movie' and set that to 'Half Press - Metering Only'

I set my movie mode button to turn off/on the eye AF function. If you toggle through the customize menu you can deactivate the movie button altogether.

Jul 03, 2022 at 05:52 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.