New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2022 · So Real It's Unreal

Peter Figen
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · So Real It's Unreal

Another go 'round with the Vise-Grips dikes and the ultra-fab Rodenstock Digaron 105mm 5.6 Macro. I started out thinking that I'd just focus stack the jaws and let the rest go out but I just kept going and 250 exposures later I'm glad I did, but what a pain in the ass. I shot wide open at f/5.6 so the slices had to be very small and both Helicon and Zerene got confused with that many slices of 600mb per slice and started making double images no matter what parameters I used. So I made about seven sub focus stacks, which worked pretty well on their own, but when I tried to combine those sub stacks in either software, I got even more double images, so I loaded up those seven into Ps and used the Align Layers command but not the Blend Layers as that really won't work on a hi-res image, and then manually masked them with layer masks, which wasn't really as hard as it seems. Even so, there were weird things going on like the linear "grain", if you will on the flat surfaces near the handles took a little dogleg turn when it wasn't supposed to. More retouching. Obviously I do these for fun as no company, even, or perhaps, especially Vise-Grips is going to pay what this would be worth for a ten dollar product. I keep one pair in each guitar case for trimming strings.

Edited on Jun 30, 2022 at 02:36 AM · View previous versions

Jun 29, 2022 at 04:08 PM
MJKoski
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · So Real It's Unreal

Oh yeah. That's some superb light setup. Angles and form of the tool are clear and almost graphic. Good work!

Jun 29, 2022 at 04:17 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · So Real It's Unreal

MJKoski wrote:
Oh yeah. That's some superb light setup. Angles and form of the tool are clear and almost graphic. Good work!

Thank you. And, btw, I'm listening to those great Finnish speakers, Genelec as I type.

Jun 29, 2022 at 04:42 PM
MJKoski
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · So Real It's Unreal

Excellent choice as well

Jun 30, 2022 at 03:30 AM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · So Real It's Unreal

MJKoski wrote:
Excellent choice as well

And a great company as well. It was just announced today that Finland and Sweden will become NATO members.

Jun 30, 2022 at 04:14 AM
ftllens
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · So Real It's Unreal

and Unreal is becoming Real.

is there a lot of breathing on this lens?

Jun 30, 2022 at 06:21 AM
MJKoski
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · So Real It's Unreal

Oh man, this has been a rough ride since february. All the uncertainty. Happy for Sweden too

Peter Figen wrote:
And a great company as well. It was just announced today that Finland and Sweden will become NATO members.

Jun 30, 2022 at 07:13 AM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · So Real It's Unreal

ftllens wrote:
and Unreal is becoming Real.

is there a lot of breathing on this lens?

Yes, there is. There is no focusing helicoid on the lens and, in order to focus, it has to be mounted on a focusing bellows like a Novoflex or Cambo Actus. The whole lens moves closer or further from the subject when focusing and then there is a manually adjustable floating element group that is set for the distance you're working at. But there's no compensation that a cinema lens would have for breathing.

Jun 30, 2022 at 08:41 AM
Creative Edge
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · So Real It's Unreal

Peter,
beautiful image, the lighting, the composition all work great together... Great job

Jun 30, 2022 at 09:24 AM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · So Real It's Unreal

I can see how all those "grain" lines running in different directions would be tough for a focus stack stitch, good stuff!

Jun 30, 2022 at 09:40 AM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · So Real It's Unreal

RoamingScott wrote:
I can see how all those "grain" lines running in different directions would be tough for a focus stack stitch, good stuff!

Yeah, it was weird, and maybe I hit just the right combination of conditions that created the artifacts. That did not happen in the first image I posted last week of the same tool, but that was a more straight on camera angle, and I ran the stitch with all three modes in Helicon and both modes in Zerene. I guess that sometimes you're still pushing the boundaries of what the software is designed for and just have to manually finish the job.

Jun 30, 2022 at 10:20 AM
Bill Gass
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · So Real It's Unreal

Love the shot...Nice work.

Jun 30, 2022 at 12:30 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · So Real It's Unreal

Thanks Bill.

Jun 30, 2022 at 01:33 PM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · So Real It's Unreal

Peter, you are dedicated to perfection
No lint or hairs, no spots or specs, no annoying reflections, some great contrast in the B&W area. This is almost like a selective color shot, I really like how this looks I am not on a calibrated monitor, I am on an Apple 5k display, in my minds eye I would like to see the luminance of the yellow reduced (not adding saturation) to become a bit deeper in color depth? Now, you know I have no business doubting your choice but I love your technical work, wish I had the understanding of how to pull anything like this off!
I hope they pay you dearly for your efforts
Karl

Jun 30, 2022 at 02:50 PM
tigawoods

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · So Real It's Unreal

nice shot man!

Jun 30, 2022 at 06:44 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · So Real It's Unreal

tigawoods wrote:
nice shot man!

Thank you.

Jul 01, 2022 at 01:43 AM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · So Real It's Unreal

Karl Witt wrote:
Peter, you are dedicated to perfection
No lint or hairs, no spots or specs, no annoying reflections, some great contrast in the B&W area. This is almost like a selective color shot, I really like how this looks I am not on a calibrated monitor, I am on an Apple 5k display, in my minds eye I would like to see the luminance of the yellow reduced (not adding saturation) to become a bit deeper in color depth? Now, you know I have no business doubting your choice but I love your technical work, wish I had
...Show more

Karl, I'll check the colors. I'm working on an Eizo high end, and of course, I also have the product to compare to. I just downloaded a pdf of one of their logos from their website and that yellow is darker and less yellow, more orange, but looking at another pair of these here on my coffee table, the actual yellow is much brighter, much closer to my image, but that doesn't mean I'm opposed to revisiting that, and it caught your attention enough to mention it. But do get that monitor calibrated. It will make a difference. I have that screen right next to the Eizo, and nothing I can do to that, calibration wise, will make it even close to the Eizo, but since I only use that one for palettes and tools, I just use the manual controls to try and force it to closer to the Eizo, well, at least not brighter. If I drop that logo in, I'll have to adjust one or the other so they're more or less the same.

And, Karl, there is no pay. I just did this for fun, if you can call it that. And no matter how well you clean and dust off tools like this, there is always a ton of crap to clean up. I'm not trying to be a documentary photographer with these. I'm more like a photo illustrator, plus this is an extraordinarily sharp lens with 100 megapixels, so when you're zoomed in, the detail is overwhelming. If there's a tip that got chipped off by half a millimeter you don't see that with your naked eye but it's quite distracting when it's huge, so I fix it. This is like the idealized perfect sample that they never produce anymore for photo shoots. I'll go ahead and drop the logo in and make as 30x40 print and send it to them. Who knows. Maybe they'll bite. Or snip. These days I'm splitting my time between doing these type of images and recording music, most for my gf, but for me as well. We've had so many remote recording sessions lately that it's kinda crazy. Even recorded a piece with Gee playing accordion last week for a new show on Apple TV, which I know nothing about yet. After doing photography for 45 years, I am totally addicted to digital audio and so much of what I know from Photoshop transfers over to audio, at least in the abstract.

Jul 01, 2022 at 03:42 AM
Rajan Parrikar
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · So Real It's Unreal

Superb image. You managed to infuse 'life' into what is a decidedly static subject.

Jul 01, 2022 at 10:38 AM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · So Real It's Unreal

Rajan Parrikar wrote:
Superb image. You managed to infuse 'life' into what is a decidedly static subject.

Thanks Rajan. Definitely some sort of insect like proboscis thing going on.

Jul 01, 2022 at 11:39 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · So Real It's Unreal

A technically fascinating and very competent image. What photography of subjects like this is supposed to look like! Though I'm concerned that now I may have nightmares about being attacked by an army of these things...

Not related, but the title of the thread ("So Real It's Unreal") got me thinking that a certain genre of landscape photographs might warrant an inversion: "So Unreal It's Real!"

I'll close the door behind me on the way out... ;-)

Dan

Jul 01, 2022 at 11:56 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.