Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5      
       end

Who hates the R7 rear button's layout and too smal size body ?

riokid
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #1 · p.6 #1 · Who hates the R7 rear button's layout and too smal size body ?

TeamSpeed wrote:
People have been buying old grips like the 20d and cutting off the part that goes into the battery compartment, and then mounting the grip onto the R7. Seems to be a cheap way to make the camera fit the hands better.

I started working on an old 60D battery grip that I found in my junk box.
So far I have done 2 mods.

1. Disassembled the top part and removed the part that goes into the battery compartment connection. I cut all the wires that will no longer be needed. I screwed the top back and it looks clean.

2. Dremeled out the little nipple since there is no corresponding hole on the bottom of the R7.

I will find some thick rubber to cushion the contact area to the bottom of the R7.

Hopefully the combination will not wiggle too much

Jul 13, 2022 at 10:34 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #2 · p.6 #2 · Who hates the R7 rear button's layout and too smal size body ?

I won't comment on feel as I haven't touched one yet, but is there any talk about the possibility of a grip extension like you can get on Sony cameras as shown below. I'm guessing no third battery battery grip will be possible or is it possible?

If the R7 is like the Sony A7 bodies it will feel rather small. Not sure what they were thinking especially given there is no battery grip extension option.

I don't need to pick up the camera though to say I hate the back layout, why they changed a proven formula from R6/R5 is crazy IMO. I can get around the small buffer by shooting max 15fps and using CR3. 30fps is not something I would use 99.99% of the time. Also annoyed how loud the mechanical shutter is, but rolling shutter is very poor for ES, but for many birds and wildlife the only option IMO.

I mostly just want to use one for a year or two so my 500 f/4L IS II can be used again. It's ok on the A9 but R7 would be massive improvement in AF and I get eye tracking.

Jul 13, 2022 at 11:23 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #3 · p.6 #3 · Who hates the R7 rear button's layout and too smal size body ?

The R7 is so tiny—the R10 even smaller—I suspect they were mainly designed to replace the EOS M and Rebel/Kiss series. I bet we'll see an APS-C R sans EVF soon (to replace the EOS M200). Indeed, the R7 displaced my old M6 and, although only slightly larger, feels much better in hand, mostly due to the beefy grip. I suspect we'll see the most popular EF-M lenses ported over soon. The R7 isn't really a replacement for the 7D MK II or 90D: too fragile and small and lacks a battery grip to power the great white lenses used by birders and field sport shooters.

I don't mind the higher placement of the QCD on the R7 and got used to it after a couple days, easily switching back and forth between it and my other cameras. The original EOS R was a lot hard to get used to—no QCD and the silly touch bar.

Jul 14, 2022 at 01:05 AM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #4 · p.6 #4 · Who hates the R7 rear button's layout and too smal size body ?

Gochugogi wrote:
The R7 is so tiny—the R10 even smaller—I suspect they were mainly designed to replace the EOS M and Rebel/Kiss series.

For my wife and I, the R7 replaces the M6II, 77D, and 90D. I disagree that the R7 isn't a direct successor to the 90D. It feels equally solid, is equally weather sealed, and the grip height and depth are identical. The downside I see is the R7's battery life is half or less that of the 90D. With the EF adapter the R7 weight is identical to the 90D. With adapter, the R7 weighs 5 oz more than the M6II with adapter and EVF.

Comparison with the 7DII is difficult. The 7DII is a bruiser body, as fat and heavy as the 5D3, the heaviest of the 5 series. One of the things I like about the 5D4 is that it is lighter than the 5D3. I prefer the size, weight of the 6D2 which is 80/90D size. I've never used a grip since I rarely shoot portrait orientation; all my displays are landscape orientation. Well, my iPad can be reoriented.

I, for one, am really liking the R7's button layout. My thumb and index finger can find every essential control without removing my eye from the viewfinder. And my thumb doesn't run into my nose. I like the on/off location, convenient for my thumb to turn on as I bring the camera up. Since its a power hungry mirrorless, I tend to turn it off when not in active use, like the M or G. I like the instant video access. I think it is a well designed layout and I'm willing to adjust to using it.

I'll be keeping my 90D for more battery intense sessions or when my wife has the R. And it will replace my 80D for slide photocopying as Gochugogi and I have joked about. 90D CRAW files are smaller than 80D RAW files so its more storage efficient. I'll be selling the M6II kit, 80D, 77D, and an SL1 still in the cupboard. The only M lens I really want remounted is the 11-22. We'll see on the others, but I agree they are coming. Maybe Rokinon will remount the 12 f2. IBIS will help it. Oh, and without the 77D and M we will only have two types of battery to keep track of.

Jul 14, 2022 at 11:09 AM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password