Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       6       end

Archive 2022 · Who hates the R7 rear button's layout and too smal size body ?

Z250SA
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · Who hates the R7 rear button's layout and too smal size body ?

TeamSpeed wrote:
Someone chose the wrong screen name. It should have been Lecturemaster, because that is a majority of the post contents, not images.

Well, I like her images better than her lectures, soo...

Jul 02, 2022 at 07:20 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · Who hates the R7 rear button's layout and too smal size body ?

Z250SA wrote:
Well, I like her images better than her lectures, soo...

Goes to show how much you know. Maybe you should attend a lecture in person to determine the sex of the lecturer.

At least you post on the correct forum, unlike some other members that have to have their thread moved to the correct forum.

Jul 02, 2022 at 10:19 AM
Z250SA
• • •
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · Who hates the R7 rear button's layout and too smal size body ?

Imagemaster wrote:
Goes to show how much you know. Maybe you should attend a lecture in person to determine the sex of the lecturer.

At least you post on the correct forum, unlike some other members that have to have their thread moved to the correct forum.

Oh, I´m pretty good at sexing eagles. Not your white headed, of course, but ours are close enough and I would guess that your avatar is female. Furthermore our neighbours once had a cat named Dan, until "he" gave birth to kittens. Eagles, kittens, Canadians, you know... Hence my conclusion, not necessarily the ultimate though, as we, or at least some of us, learn along our path into the future.

Jul 02, 2022 at 11:28 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · Who hates the R7 rear button's layout and too smal size body ?

Z250SA wrote:
Oh, I´m pretty good at sexing eagles. Not your white headed, of course, but ours are close enough and I would guess that your avatar is female. Furthermore our neighbours once had a cat named Dan, until "he" gave birth to kittens. Eagles, kittens, Canadians, you know... Hence my conclusion, not necessarily the ultimate though, as we, or at least some of us, learn along our path into the future.

You can guess all you want if my avatar is a female or male, but the fact is you don’t have a clue.

If you think an avatar is indication of the member’s sex or otherwise, I don’t know what yours says about you.

Jul 02, 2022 at 01:21 PM
Z250SA
• • •
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · Who hates the R7 rear button's layout and too smal size body ?

Imagemaster wrote:
You can guess all you want if my avatar is a female or male, but the fact is you don’t have a clue.

If you think an avatar is indication of the member’s sex or otherwise, I don’t know what yours says about you.

At least I had two independent estimates to base my first guess on. That is exactly two more than the usual number needed to judge some unobtainable gear totally unusable here around!

My avatar says exactly what it should. I don´t pretend to be neither more nor less than nothing. My name is Nobody.

Jul 02, 2022 at 03:27 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · Who hates the R7 rear button's layout and too smal size body ?

duncang wrote:
You need a 101 in marketing lesson. If you already own an R5/R3 you are most definitely not in the target market for the R7 so why would Canon prioritise layout compatibility with these cameras over affordability for the target market ?

Albeit a lot of R/R5/R6 shooters bought an R7 anyway. One control feature I really like on the R7 is the AF/M switch with depth of field preview button in the middle. I'm sure a lot of R/R5/R6 shooters would appreciate that addition. Visiting the menus just to use MF was really humbug with the older R cameras.

Jul 02, 2022 at 08:15 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · Who hates the R7 rear button's layout and too smal size body ?

Gochugogi wrote:
Albeit a lot of R/R5/R6 shooters bought an R7 anyway. One control feature I really like on the R7 is the AF/M switch with depth of field preview button in the middle. I'm sure a lot of R/R5/R6 shooters would appreciate that addition. Visiting the menus just to use MF was really humbug with the older R cameras.

Why would you not use the AF/M switch on the lens?

EBH

Jul 02, 2022 at 08:30 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · Who hates the R7 rear button's layout and too smal size body ?

EB-1 wrote:

EBH

Some lenses don't have a AF/M switch (e.g., RF 50 1.8 and RF 16 2.8) and you have to visit the menus to switch the control ring to MF operation. The body switch control allows you to engage MF operation without looking away from the EVF.

Jul 03, 2022 at 02:53 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · Who hates the R7 rear button's layout and too smal size body ?

Gochugogi wrote:

EB-1 wrote:

EBH

Gochugogi wrote:
Some lenses don't have a AF/M switch (e.g., RF 50 1.8 and RF 16 2.8) and you have to visit the menus to switch the control ring to MF operation. The body switch control allows you to engage MF operation without looking away from the EVF.

Yikes! Is that some cost savings measure for the RF lenses only? I have a couple dozen EF lenses and IIRC every one has a switch.
The 600/4 RF, 24-105/4 RF and 100-500 RF also have a lens switch, so I didn't realize there was a horrid design on some of the new lenses. I have used a body switch on Nikons starting with the F4s, but that also retracted the screw drive. I hope that DOF control button can be reprogrammed for some other useful purposes.

EBH

Jul 03, 2022 at 03:18 PM
Mike_5D
• • • •
p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · Who hates the R7 rear button's layout and too smal size body ?

EB-1 wrote:
Yikes! Is that some cost savings measure for the RF lenses only? I have a couple dozen EF lenses and IIRC every one has a switch.
The 600/4 RF, 24-105/4 RF and 100-500 RF also have a lens switch, so I didn't realize there was a horrid design on some of the new lenses. I have used a body switch on Nikons starting with the F4s, but that also retracted the screw drive. I hope that DOF control button can be reprogrammed for some other useful purposes.

EBH

The 50/1.8 and 16/2.8 are both small, cheap lenses that merge the MF and control rings into one, selected with a switch. The 24-105 STM and 24-240 are the same way. Regardless, you can enable full time MF and manually focus any time without going into the menus.

Jul 03, 2022 at 03:44 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.5 #11 · p.5 #11 · Who hates the R7 rear button's layout and too smal size body ?

EB-1 wrote:
I hope that DOF control button can be reprogrammed for some other useful purposes.

EBH

It can. I have eye focus enable/disable on the DOF button.

Jul 03, 2022 at 08:37 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.5 #12 · p.5 #12 · Who hates the R7 rear button's layout and too smal size body ?

Mike_5D wrote:
The 50/1.8 and 16/2.8 are both small, cheap lenses that merge the MF and control rings into one, selected with a switch. The 24-105 STM and 24-240 are the same way. Regardless, you can enable full time MF and manually focus any time without going into the menus.

Both of the new RF-S lenses (18-150 and 18-45) lack external switches for AF/MF and IS, so having a body switch is nicer than cruising the menu.

Jul 04, 2022 at 06:14 PM
Mike_5D
• • • •
p.5 #13 · p.5 #13 · Who hates the R7 rear button's layout and too smal size body ?

Gochugogi wrote:
Both of the new RF-S lenses (18-150 and 18-45) lack external switches for AF/MF and IS, so having a body switch is nicer than cruising the menu.

True. Nice to have but not as necessary as it looks given the ability to have full time manual. I do like how they wrapped it around the DOF button so nothing was lost. I just wish it has 3 wheels like the R6.

Jul 04, 2022 at 06:18 PM
hugodrax
• • •
p.5 #14 · p.5 #14 · Who hates the R7 rear button's layout and too smal size body ?

qc_mountain wrote:
Coming from the 7DMkII and 5DsR the R7 is awkward to use i have medium size hands and the body feels too smal my pinky as nothing to hold to . I dont know how people with big hands can hold it comfortably ? . I think Canon could have done much better especially on the rear button layout . It will take time to get use to it

Francois.

I noticed going from a 6D to 1dx mark III how much more comfortable it is to hold and use. I was always under the impression small bodies were more comfortable. Nope, seems bigger is better.

Jul 10, 2022 at 01:29 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.5 #15 · p.5 #15 · Who hates the R7 rear button's layout and too smal size body ?

I am still waiting for my R7 but as a previous Olympus shooter, the R5 is too fat and bulky for me, so I am pretty sure that the R7 will feel more comfortable in my hands. The height is not a problem if you include an Arca-style base plate which will increase the height of the camera by 1/4”.

hugodrax wrote:
I noticed going from a 6D to 1dx mark III how much more comfortable it is to hold and use. I was always under the impression small bodies were more comfortable. Nope, seems bigger is better.

Jul 10, 2022 at 06:16 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.5 #16 · p.5 #16 · Who hates the R7 rear button's layout and too smal size body ?

Some people like pickup trucks, some big SUVs, some sports cars.

I have to say, I'm liking the size, button layout, and button customization of the R7 body. Its the right body and grip size to handle my 100-400 II and is small and manageable with the kit lens and my smaller EF-S lenses. Can't ask for more than that. Still playing with the customization options, but I'm getting there.

Been playing with Fv mode and its much more obvious to use than the M6II implementation.

Jul 10, 2022 at 07:19 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.5 #17 · p.5 #17 · Who hates the R7 rear button's layout and too smal size body ?

Some people even like the teeny-weeny Smart Car! Different strokes for different folks.

Jeff Nolten wrote:
Some people like pickup trucks, some big SUVs, some sports cars.

I have to say, I'm liking the size, button layout, and button customization of the R7 body. Its the right body and grip size to handle my 100-400 II and is small and manageable with the kit lens and my smaller EF-S lenses. Can't ask for more than that. Still playing with the customization options, but I'm getting there.

Been playing with Fv mode and its much more obvious to use than the M6II implementation.

Jul 10, 2022 at 08:26 PM
riokid
• • • • •
p.5 #18 · p.5 #18 · Who hates the R7 rear button's layout and too smal size body ?

I am waiting for PEIPRO or SmallRig comes up with an ARCA plate for the R7. As of now I can adapt to the R7 size and layout much better than the Sony A6400 /A6600

Jul 10, 2022 at 09:52 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.5 #19 · p.5 #19 · Who hates the R7 rear button's layout and too smal size body ?

SmallRig plates are 3/4 plates so you don’t get the extra 1/4” height on the battery side of the camera for your pinky to rest on. Peipro plates are great and I hope the offer the slim version too, which is what I have on my R5.

riokid wrote:
I am waiting for PEIPRO or SmallRig comes up with an ARCA plate for the R7. As of now I can adapt to the R7 size and layout much better than the Sony A6400 /A6600

Jul 10, 2022 at 10:58 PM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
p.5 #20 · p.5 #20 · Who hates the R7 rear button's layout and too smal size body ?

hugodrax wrote:

People have been buying old grips like the 20d and cutting off the part that goes into the battery compartment, and then mounting the grip onto the R7. Seems to be a cheap way to make the camera fit the hands better.

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?p=19399336
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?p=19399352

Jul 11, 2022 at 04:42 AM
       6       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

6       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.