Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       5       6       end

Who hates the R7 rear button's layout and too smal size body ?

Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Who hates the R7 rear button's layout and too smal size body ?

lighthound wrote:
With all these complaints about the size of the R7, it's shocking that Sony was able to make it in the camera market at all.

Yeah, and they even managed to shoot with 600 f4's attached to them.

Jun 30, 2022 at 01:12 PM
PhotoCyclist

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Who hates the R7 rear button's layout and too smal size body ?

Uarctos wrote:
Nope. It is dedicated to the wildlife and sport shooters and 'is continuing the legacy of our formidable EOS 7d cameras". Read it on their webpage.

Indeed! That is exactly correct - wildlife and sport amateur/hobbyist/serious photographers who are not professional, the 7-series has never been aimed at Pro's. They will go R1 (when released) and/or R3 plus L lenses to cover their needs.

The R7 makes a very nice pairing with the R6 as a wonderful two-body solution for those more serious non-Pro's looking to cover all bases. Naturally, the R5 would be a great, albeit more expensive, compliment too.

Seeing the size of the R7, I may even consider one - I had thought no chance, I'm happy with my R5 but really like those dimensions now I see them compared to the 7D.

Jun 30, 2022 at 01:38 PM
artsupreme
• • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Who hates the R7 rear button's layout and too smal size body ?

What does everyone expect for $1500 bucks? Croppers aren't my thing but I would rather have a smaller and lighter camera that can be made bigger with a bottom plate versus a larger/heavier camera that cannot be made smaller. For $1500 and some good post processing this thing will produce a final image as good as any camera out there in decent lighting. I would understand the complaints if Canon crippled it with old DSLR'ish AF, but it sounds like Canon delivered a great AF system in the R7.

Jun 30, 2022 at 01:40 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Who hates the R7 rear button's layout and too smal size body ?

Let's put this in perspective and compare it to the Sony combo. Yup .... the R7 is definitely too small.

Jun 30, 2022 at 01:42 PM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Who hates the R7 rear button's layout and too smal size body ?

The Sony's small size is what put alot of people off the Sony gear, myself included. I would constantly go to the store and try out the different Sony bodies, and I couldn't see myself shooting hours with them. The R6 is about as small as I would like to go for an hours long shoot with a camera body personally.

The M50 is ok for me for just a few shots here and there, and the R7 would be fine too for small periods of time.

At least the canon R7 grip is deep and allows easy grasp of the body over the Sony.

Jun 30, 2022 at 01:51 PM
Poefolk
• •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Who hates the R7 rear button's layout and too smal size body ?

You can attach a battery grip to the Sonys.

Jun 30, 2022 at 02:14 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Who hates the R7 rear button's layout and too smal size body ?

I bought the Sony A7R2 + 3 lenses … twice … but I just wasn’t comfortable with the ergonomics and menu and couldn’t get used to it. It was so much more fun shooting with my OM-D II. I switch to Canon as soon as they released the R5 and 100-500L.

I have a dislike for battery grips. Never owned one in my 40+ years of involvement in photography.

TeamSpeed wrote:
The Sony's small size is what put alot of people off the Sony gear, myself included. I would constantly go to the store and try out the different Sony bodies, and I couldn't see myself shooting hours with them. The R6 is about as small as I would like to go for an hours long shoot with a camera body personally.

The M50 is ok for me for just a few shots here and there, and the R7 would be fine too for small periods of time.

At least the canon R7 grip is deep and allows easy grasp of the
...Show more

Jun 30, 2022 at 02:34 PM
Uarctos
• •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Who hates the R7 rear button's layout and too smal size body ?

I am shooting sports at pro level with full frame and the 600mm f4. I am also shooting distant wildlife and need long glass and a very good Aps-c with many Mpx. I am hiking with a full frame and the 600mmf4, on long, steep climbs in isolated places. I am putting a good deal of effort in shooting large carnivores that are extremely difficult to find, let alone approach. If I were living in places like Alaska, BC or US, where wildlife can be easily approached I could not care less about many things, grip included. I don't care how small Sony is, it doesn't make the R7 any better.

Jun 30, 2022 at 02:58 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Who hates the R7 rear button's layout and too smal size body ?

Uarctos wrote:
I am shooting sports at pro level with full frame and the 600mm f4. I am also shooting distant wildlife and need long glass and a very good Aps-c with many Mpx. I am hiking with a full frame and the 600mmf4, on long, steep climbs in isolated places. I am putting a good deal of effort in shooting large carnivores that are extremely difficult to find, let alone approach. If I were living in places like Alaska, BC or US, where wildlife can be easily approached I could not care less about many things, grip included. I don't care
...Show more

Who cares what you shoot and what you don't like about the R7?

Don't buy it. Whining about it ain't going to change it.

Jun 30, 2022 at 03:09 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Who hates the R7 rear button's layout and too smal size body ?

Wait for the R1. With 100MB you can crop to the same angle of view as an APS-C camera, and you will be able to enjoy all the bells and whistles of a high-end flagship camera with zero blackout, etc. The R7 is a non-pro camera but the R7 II will be a semi-pro camera with better weather sealing, better AF speed and accuracy, etc. But you may not see the R7 II for another couple of years. Canon needs to sell as many R7’s as they can before they bring out the next iteration of the 7 series.

Uarctos wrote:
I am shooting sports at pro level with full frame and the 600mm f4. I am also shooting distant wildlife and need long glass and a very good Aps-c with many Mpx. I am hiking with a full frame and the 600mmf4, on long, steep climbs in isolated places. I am putting a good deal of effort in shooting large carnivores that are extremely difficult to find, let alone approach. If I were living in places like Alaska, BC or US, where wildlife can be easily approached I could not care less about many things, grip included. I don't care
...Show more

Jun 30, 2022 at 04:34 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Who hates the R7 rear button's layout and too smal size body ?

Poefolk wrote:
You can attach a battery grip to the Sonys.

Exactly...that is where the R7 fails for me.

Of course the A1 is too tiny for me to shoot comfortably all day with a 600/4 attached. But with the grip the ergonomics for my hands are some of the best I've used.
I think the only camera that feels better to me in the hand is the R3.
But I prefer the A1 gripped to the R5 gripped and to the Z9.
YMMV

Jun 30, 2022 at 04:51 PM
EverLearning
• • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Who hates the R7 rear button's layout and too smal size body ?

bobbytan wrote:
I don't get it. How is the R7 so different from the R5 when it comes to using gloves?

Blessed with living on the Canadian prairies and its temperate winters (cough, cough), I wear gloves or mitts when shooting for about seven months of the year. I have quite the variety of hand protection; ranging from moderately thin gloves used in October and April to gloves that have foldback finger tips to big mitts (specifically used because of the very thick insulation on top but much thinner on the underside (but still insulated)) and the space above the hand for putting chemical warmers. I can tell you that the big gloves (without the finger tips folded back) and the mitts make it a challenge to shoot with the R5. The R7 is about 29% smaller surface than the back of the 7DM2. That is significant. It is about 12% smaller surface than the R5. Although a less dramatic difference than the 7DM2 to R7, it is still a notable difference when winter shooting is already a bit of a challenge with the R5.

It gets even more difficult to accurately hit those small, close-together buttons when the fingers start to get cold and less dextrous.

I understand the R7 is what it is. I am just giving you a first person explanation of how the R7 is different from the R5 when it comes to using gloves.

Jul 01, 2022 at 10:23 AM
Sy Sez
• • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Who hates the R7 rear button's layout and too smal size body ?

The body size suits me fine.
As to the button/dial layout I don't hate it, but I imagine that when pairing it with my R5, the differences could be somewhat frustrating.

Jul 01, 2022 at 10:28 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Who hates the R7 rear button's layout and too smal size body ?

Sy Sez wrote:
The body size suits me fine.
As to the button/dial layout I don't hate it, but I imagine that when pairing it with my R5, the differences could be somewhat frustrating.

+1
Took the words right out of my mouth.
I know to some people it's trivial, but trying to pair the R7 with the R5 just wouldn't work for me because they changed the layout.

I have however considered maybe reconfiguring my R5 buttons such that I start using the bottom wheel to control ISO to match how I would set-up the R7. This might eliminate shutting it off inadvertently. I'd then move the aperture up to the top on the R5 because I rarely change that on the fly.

Jul 01, 2022 at 11:05 AM
armd
• • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Who hates the R7 rear button's layout and too smal size body ?

Finally got my hands on an R7 today - sadly just to hold and play with for a few minutes. Coming from other gear, I have observations which are largely similar to those already presented. Best "feeling" i.e. ergonomic camera on the market today, hands down, is the R3. I still like the buttons/dial "feel" on the A1 but it just isn't as natural, is blocky and without a grip I much prefer a Canon R5. The Z9 reminds me of the older 1dsii - not refined and it's heavy and awkward.

The R7 feels a tad smaller than my R5, and I do regret that they didn't mimic at least the R6 layout. In my hands, the grip is comfortable though the on/off switch is annoying. As lighthound observed, I may have to reconfigure the R5 because there is no parallel to that upper wheel and I'll have to figure out a less disruptive way to manage ISO/Aperture. Apart from the cost, I suspect that Canon didn't think R7 users would rely on manually changing ISO. Likewise, the rear button layout is disappointing as I rely on two BB for rapid change of the af. Normally, I have the shutter assigned to AED/Auto, one BB spot, and the second zone. On the R7 af-on can easily be assigned one of the two, though the * is too far to the right.

Overall, these are minor quibbles aren't deal breakers IMHO and ones which can be easily mitigated. As long as the camera performs as advertised... and I can't wait to land one! Happy 4th everyone.

Jul 01, 2022 at 11:52 AM
Sy Sez
• • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Who hates the R7 rear button's layout and too smal size body ?

armd wrote:
there is no parallel to that upper wheel and I'll have to figure out a less disruptive way to manage ISO/Aperture.

I haven't got mine yet, but when pressing the ISO button then adjusting ISO with the QC dial, is there no way to get the QC dial back to Aperture, like re-pressing the ISO button?

Jul 01, 2022 at 12:14 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Who hates the R7 rear button's layout and too smal size body ?

The designers don't seem to work together at Canon. We've seen that before. How could they not consider that people will use the R5, R3 and R7 in various combinations?

Is it possible to use easily control manual aperture/shutter and use Auto ISO with EC as with many of the Canon DSLRs? Are people using AF-On for subject-based AF and the * for spot AF or how do you quickly switch?

EBH

Jul 01, 2022 at 12:22 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Who hates the R7 rear button's layout and too smal size body ?

Geez, two different cameras in two different formats and some want the controls to be identical. I am currently shooting with Canon and Olympus. Which one should I complain about not having the same controls as the other one?

Guess what? Camera manufacturers make cameras that are easy for the majority of photographers to use, not for the minority. I shot for a number of years at temperatures from -20 to -40 with a Canon SLR. Sure, it had fewer and larger controls, but I shot with bare finger tips. You also had to forward the film very slowly or you would risk getting static charges marring the film. The camera was under my parka until the couple of minutes when I needed to shoot. My gloves came off for those two minutes of shooting. Then camera back under parka, gloves back on or in pockets with hand warmers.

Now of course they could make larger controls on cameras, but then the majority would complain they were too easily accidently bumped or caught on something.

Now an even more fun time was working as a telephone installer in those same cold conditions. Hike up a rock-solid telephone pole using your spurs, then take off your gloves to open a metal terminal, pull out the small- gauge pair of wires you needed from a glomp of grease-filled cable, then use tiny plastic connectors to splice to another pair of small guage wires. Your fingers are now too numb to continue, so you carefully go back down the pole and get back into your van. Inside the van, you hold your numb fingers over warm-blowing air from the defroster for 15 minutes, then go back up the pole to finish the job.

Ah, the good old days.

Jul 01, 2022 at 12:50 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Who hates the R7 rear button's layout and too smal size body ?

EB-1 wrote:
How could they not consider that people will use the R5, R3 and R7 in various combinations?

How about because the majority of photographers don't use such combinations?

Just like the majority of photographers do not visit this site.

Jul 01, 2022 at 12:52 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Who hates the R7 rear button's layout and too smal size body ?

I would rather just keep using the 90D, but it doesn't work with the RF 600/4.
Unfortunately I cannot find the R7 in the states and would have to pay a ridiculous price for a third party procurement next week, which means no warranty.
The key factors I'm not sure about are two AF buttons and Manual with Auto ISO and EC. I can live with the other poor ergonomics, but will probably relegate it to the heap of useless Canon bodies I already have. I really want to get about 10-12 keepers over its usage period.

EBH

Jul 01, 2022 at 01:35 PM
1       2      

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password