Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3              5       6       end

Who hates the R7 rear button's layout and too smal size body ?

Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Who hates the R7 rear button's layout and too smal size body ?

qc_mountain wrote:
Yes exactly Canon missed on the size and the layout of the buttons. It is a good camera nevertheless.

Francois.

No, Canon didn't miss on anything. There is no such thing as one camera fits all sizes. They made the R7 to fit what the majority of photographers want, not what the minority wants.

Yea Canon!

Jun 29, 2022 at 06:20 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Who hates the R7 rear button's layout and too smal size body ?

They are made for people with small-medium and narrow hands, not for full-sized, wide American hands. I also don't know if that fnky control wheel will be a one-off failure like the R's weird controller.
I expect that market research indicated many users would not like the ergonomics of the 3-fingered grip but would buy R7s anyway. I think Homer Simpson would approve.

EBH

Jun 29, 2022 at 10:49 PM
mdporter1999

p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Who hates the R7 rear button's layout and too smal size body ?

R6 is smaller than the 7DII. Camera bodies are made for the average person. Full size, wide American hands? What does that even mean? The average American male is 5'9" and average female is 5'4". Neither is going to sport massive hands.

Jun 29, 2022 at 11:01 PM
Uarctos
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Who hates the R7 rear button's layout and too smal size body ?

It's cheaper to build a smaller camera than a larger one. Nothing surprising here.
For long shooting sessions is always better to have a bigger and more comfortable grip, even with small lenses, not to mention the wildlife/sport crowd, who are using very large and heavy superteles. The 7D2/5D4 grip size is just about right. R5 is borderline comfortable for those with large hands, myself included.

Jun 30, 2022 at 01:41 AM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Who hates the R7 rear button's layout and too smal size body ?

Nationality nor body stature is indicative of the hand size or finger length. There are short people that can palm a basketball for example, and taller folks who cannot.

The SL rebel series and M series are very popular all over the place, so with R7 being a bit larger, it fits better than those. It is just a passing complaint regarding the size, it will eventually go away. The comparison, and this expectation of size, likely comes from those sporting the older DSLR models (7D, xxD) and those maybe just moving to canon mirrorless.

I think the smaller rigs products like their bottom plates will be very popular once they have an R7 product.

Jun 30, 2022 at 02:39 AM
Uarctos
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Who hates the R7 rear button's layout and too smal size body ?

Still, nobody uses a Rebel with a 400/500/600mm lenses.
When out on the golf course I'm shooting for 6-8 hours with the 600mmf4. Same when I am up into the mountains. It's much more comfortable to have a proper grip, for your hand comfort and endurance. Not to mention that you can better stabilize your combo and can better hold your camera when the wind blows. Smaller lenses are far easier to shoot with, but it wouldn't hurt either if it had a better grip.

Edited on Jun 30, 2022 at 09:52 AM · View previous versions

Jun 30, 2022 at 04:14 AM
PhotoCyclist

p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Who hates the R7 rear button's layout and too smal size body ?

EB-1 wrote:
They are made for people with small-medium and narrow hands, not for full-sized, wide American hands. I also don't know if that fnky control wheel will be a one-off failure like the R's weird controller.
I expect that market research indicated many users would not like the ergonomics of the 3-fingered grip but would buy R7s anyway. I think Homer Simpson would approve.

EBH

Made for the average - Worldwide.

The average American is far from the tallest - albeit maybe some of the fattest from my visits there. Pity the Dutch for the R7, at over 6' average for men and 5'6" for women.

The R7 will be nice for the average Japanese male at a little over 5'7"...

Jun 30, 2022 at 06:40 AM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Who hates the R7 rear button's layout and too smal size body ?

My pinky fits, well, 75% of it. It feels secure and comfortable. Guess I have "average" hands.

Seriously, I'm liking this body and its button layout. I find I don't have to move my thumb much to reach one to the joystick and thumb wheel. I can find the ISO, M-fn, AF-on, * and info buttons without removing my eye from the VF. Can't ask for more. I can adjust everything I need on the fly, yet its simple enough that my wife can use it without complexity. She likes taking pictures but doesn't want to learn photography.

I also like that the body is the same size/weight as the 77D, a few oz more than the SL2. It feels very light with the kit lens. Yet the grip is sufficient that its not unbalanced with the adapter and heavier lenses like the 15-85 or 24-70 f4 L. I can use the 100-400 L which was very awkward on the M6II. A pretty good compromise IMHO.

My wife likes the feel and weight of the camera and should be perfect for her dog show use. I'll set C3 up preset for dogs in the ring and she can use P mode otherwise. Her use is casual enough we won't conflict much. So I see this camera replacing both her 77D and my M6II. But I'm keeping my 90D.

I evaluated the kit lens yesterday and it is pretty sharp. roughly equivalent to the 15-85 on the 90D. Not not as sharp as the G1X3 or 16-35 f4 L on the 90D at the edges. It is sharp wide open and doesn't gain much stopping down which is good since its a slow lens. I used it for some focus stacking and it worked well, not focus breathing much. It will be a useful lens and any keeper images should stand up well next others in the slideshow.

Jun 30, 2022 at 09:47 AM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Who hates the R7 rear button's layout and too smal size body ?

qc_mountain wrote:
Yes this winter will be struggle with gloves for sure i dont even want to think about it for now.
Francois.

I don't get it. How is the R7 so different from the R5 when it comes to using gloves?

Jun 30, 2022 at 10:32 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Who hates the R7 rear button's layout and too smal size body ?

Uarctos wrote:
Still, nobody uses a Rebel with a 400/500/600mm lenses.
When out on the golf course I'm shooting for 6-8 hours with the 600mmf4. Same when I am up into the mountains. It's much more comfortable to have a proper grip, for your hand comfort and endurance. Not to mention that you can better stabilize your combo and can better hold your camera when the wind blows. Smaller lenses are far easier to shoot with, but it wouldn't hurt either if it had a better grip.

Duh. Canon marketed the R7 more for Rebel-type users than those shooting with a 600mm f4. 99.99% of their target market for this camera don't shoot for 6-8 hours with a 600mm f4.

Want a bigger camera than the R7, then go buy one.

Jun 30, 2022 at 10:48 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Who hates the R7 rear button's layout and too smal size body ?

The 600/4L is better suited to the R3 or R5 with the grip. The 100-500L is more suited to the R7 or R5/R6.

Jun 30, 2022 at 11:06 AM
Uarctos
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Who hates the R7 rear button's layout and too smal size body ?

Nope. It is dedicated to the wildlife and sport shooters and 'is continuing the legacy of our formidable EOS 7d cameras". Read it on their webpage.

Jun 30, 2022 at 11:12 AM
Uarctos
• •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Who hates the R7 rear button's layout and too smal size body ?

Yeah, but R3 has only 20Mpx, and the R5 is 3 times the cost for less reach. The R7 could have been much better for pennies more.

Jun 30, 2022 at 11:15 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Who hates the R7 rear button's layout and too smal size body ?

Uarctos wrote:
Nope. It is dedicated to the wildlife and sport shooters and 'is continuing the legacy of our formidable EOS 7d cameras". Read it on their webpage.

Really big size difference when you remove the optical viewfind from the 7D2, eh?

Jun 30, 2022 at 11:24 AM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Who hates the R7 rear button's layout and too smal size body ?

I agree. I will happily pay $500 or more (not pennies more) if they would give us a stacked BSI sensor, etc, etc. But it is what it is. They need to hold back some or the best features for the Mk II I guess, so they can get us all to upgrade later on, and pay more money for it.

Uarctos wrote:
Yeah, but R3 has only 20Mpx, and the R5 is 3 times the cost for less reach. The R7 could have been much better for pennies more.

Jun 30, 2022 at 11:26 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Who hates the R7 rear button's layout and too smal size body ?

Uarctos wrote:

It's also a tiny but well featured camera for travelers. A great replacement for the SL2 and M6. The 7D series was a bit of a boat anchor in comparison.

Jun 30, 2022 at 11:47 AM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Who hates the R7 rear button's layout and too smal size body ?

If Canon were to make a pro level APS-C sensor, you'd bet they charge pro level prices for it. No pro takes a 7D to the olympics or for NatGeo. They take a 1 series and big glass and get paid to do it. The R7 is for the rest of us who want to go the the beach or estuary and get decent pics of BIF and not trade our retirement to do it. If you want pro level then pay for it and be prepared to carry it.

I'm even considering the RF 100-400 which is diety awful slow but looks to be pretty sharp. To have a 2 3/4 lb camera with that kind of reach? Even if its limited to daylight it is quite attractive.

Edited on Jun 30, 2022 at 11:58 AM · View previous versions

Jun 30, 2022 at 11:54 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Who hates the R7 rear button's layout and too smal size body ?

With all these complaints about the size of the R7, it's shocking that Sony was able to make it in the camera market at all.

Jun 30, 2022 at 11:55 AM
Uarctos
• •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Who hates the R7 rear button's layout and too smal size body ?

It may be, but I have cited from Canon's website. I am disappointed, but I'll wait for more reviews and images in order to decide if I'm going to buy it or not. It's not a straight buy, for me.

Jun 30, 2022 at 11:55 AM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Who hates the R7 rear button's layout and too smal size body ?

Uarctos wrote:
It's not a straight buy, for me.

Everyone should evaluate how well a new item suits their needs. This is my first R. It is the first one to hit what I needed in a new camera. It out does the M6II for AF features and can easily use my bigger EF glass. If Canon comes out with a couple more converted M lenses like the 11-22 and 22 f2, I'll be very happy. But this is the level I'm looking for. That this doesn't fit your 7DII replacement criteria is unfortunate but the way of product development. Its definitely a first world problem like my not liking f8 as a maximum aperture.

Jun 30, 2022 at 12:08 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password