FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Z30

jwolfe
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Z30

Sure in the old days that was true. Now not so much. The market has moved to enthusiasts and pros. Sure a vlogging camera might sell 50k units a year, but a Z500 would likely sell much more and at $2000 at least.

Nikon is going to lose more users if they donít start getting serious about higher end bodies. I will probably never switch, but everyone is not as patient.

CanadaMark wrote:
Low-end bodies make them a lot of money, and it's probably very easy for them to get a product like the Z30 to market as it's still using older tech and they do not require such advanced sensors. I'm not sure exactly what it looks like today, but in the DSLR days Nikon made over 80% of it's imaging revenue from entry level DX bodies & kits, so while enthusiasts like us are waiting for the higher-end stuff, that's not necessarily where the money is from Nikon's perspective. Entry level bodies also get people into the Nikon system, and some
...Show more

Jun 29, 2022 at 05:14 PM
jwolfe
• • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Z30

Umm. Iím not sure if you and I occupy the same planet. Stills shooters are still a large market and always will be. You can shoot burrowing owls or the super bowl with an iPhone.

Sure itís smaller than it used to be, but saying itís dead is just idiotic.

JadedWriter wrote:
"Where's my camera built solely for stills?" That market is so effing dead and if they did make said camera it would be Leica priced to offset the amount of people that wouldn't buy it. The future of photography isn't a bunch of old dudes.

Jun 29, 2022 at 05:18 PM
JadedWriter
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Z30

I don't think you're understanding me here. People asking for a camera with 0 video specs are not going to get that camera is the point I'm trying to make. Because believe it or not you do have to cater to the hybrid market with your product because if you don't nobody is going to look at your camera and it's going to get trounced in the reviews. I have a Z9, I do almost 0 video with it, but the few times I have had to I'm glad it has that capability because the thing can almost double for a cinema camera. If I am ever asked by my job to provide both stills and video for an event and I'm out there by myself doing it I can do it with my Z9 and Z7II. It's just that simple. I actually had to do something like this with my X-T3 and X-H1 and did a video with stills and video from this combination. 100% stills only limits your marketability and your ability to do your job on the field if you're a one man crew. You can shoot burrowing owls or the superbowl with an Iphone, but there's a good chance that nobody's going to care or pay you a nickel for that footage because it's going to look like everybody else's footage either in the stands or too from the owl to actually be good.
jwolfe wrote:
Umm. Iím not sure if you and I occupy the same planet. Stills shooters are still a large market and always will be. You can shoot burrowing owls or the super bowl with an iPhone.

Sure itís smaller than it used to be, but saying itís dead is just idiotic.

Jun 29, 2022 at 05:29 PM
ArizonaImage
• • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Z30

For $700, I dont think you'll find a camera with IBIS. The Z50 should have had it at that price range. I am glad Nikon got its foot in this category, sure it lacks some features, but, its not for pros. Vloggers are hardly picky about cameras at the beginning.

Jun 29, 2022 at 06:49 PM
Ripolini
• • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Z30

JadedWriter wrote:
... just because it's not aimed at you doesn't exactly mean it won't sell.

I'm not a Nikon shareholder so I have no interest in how many Z30 cameras Nikon will sell. It's a product I can forget of.

ekam wrote:
Not sure why everybody asks for IBIS when it is bundled with VR lens.

Is it an interchangeable lens camera?

OwlsEyes wrote:
It's not designed for you...
Price is about $700 US (no lens)...

I guess it's not designed for most of fellows who replied.
Z9 too is not a product for me and my photography. Did I ever criticize that camera?
I feel I have the right to criticize Nikon when they castrate deliberately a product, or simply forget small simple implementations that would render their products more appealing to a larger cohort.

Jun 30, 2022 at 02:49 AM
OwlsEyes
• • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Z30

Ripolini wrote:
I'm not a Nikon shareholder so I have no interest in how many Z30 cameras Nikon will sell. It's a product I can forget of.

Is it an interchangeable lens camera?

I guess it's not designed for most of fellows who replied.
Z9 too is not a product for me and my photography. Did I ever criticize that camera?
I feel I have the right to criticize Nikon when they castrate deliberately a product, or simply forget small simple implementations that would render their products more appealing to a larger cohort.

Ripolini...
I'm not criticizing you, I am just making the assumption that you are not in 16-29 demographic looking to capture the your youth and display it via snap chat or tiktoc...
Me, I'm just a 57 year old high school biology teacher. I'm, quite possibly, the oldest educator in my building of 3500 adolescents.
I'm known for my photography in the area, and kids visit me about this all of the time. Most of my colleagues have toddlers, travel, and are under 30. The kids all want to be famous, show themselves online, and get as many likes as possible.
A tiny percentage are serious about this; many in bands, drama, or sports. They ask about cameras and how to improve their videos... The Z30 is for that group.

So let's say only 4 kids out of 3500 in grades 9-12 will buy the Z30. There are 15,000,000 high school students in the US (alone). If four of 3400 buy the Z30, that's over 17,000 units sold.

Why is marketing to this logical?...
First none of these kids will be buying a Z9/Z900, etc... too much $$$. Second, these are US numbers only, so scale this up to reflect the total buying population. Third, I've limited myself to high school students... so scale to include a nominal number of college-aged and younger adults. Finally, you have now introduced a population to a brand. When buying expensive equipment that has a specific UI, most people exhibit a degree of brand loyalty.... PC users stick with PCs & Mac users stick with Macs. People often buy multiple generations from the same automative company... I'm on Mini Cooper #6.

Affordable products introduce a consumer to a brand and allows for up- sales as interest and wealth increases.

So, I stick by my point... the camera was not designed for you (or me...)

regards,
bruce

Jun 30, 2022 at 06:26 AM
JadedWriter
• • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Z30

Yup the camera is designed just like the ZFC to attract a younger audience. ZFC sold well in Japan, this probably will as well. If this camera can generate a user base that will buy like a Z6IV in 3 years or whatever and a lens or two then it's a win for Nikon. You can't always cater to 40-50 and up with a higher amount of disposable income all the time. This could easily be a Christmas camera since it's kind of in that ball park price range especially if they rebate it. They probably make more on this profit wise than they would a Z8 for all we know.
OwlsEyes wrote:
Ripolini...
I'm not criticizing you, I am just making the assumption that you are not in 16-29 demographic looking to capture the your youth and display it via snap chat or tiktoc...
Me, I'm just a 57 year old high school biology teacher. I'm, quite possibly, the oldest educator in my building of 3500 adolescents.
I'm known for my photography in the area, and kids visit me about this all of the time. Most of my colleagues have toddlers, travel, and are under 30. The kids all want to be famous, show themselves online, and get as many likes as possible.
A
...Show more

Jun 30, 2022 at 07:01 AM
2of9
• •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Z30

All I have to say is ... FINALLY.

They're definitely late into this specific market. It's definitely competing with the Sony ZV-E10. I've been needing a camera like this....6 years ago :/. I got a Z50 recently and it's enough. The Z30 would compliment the Z50 pretty well but I don't see a "good" reason to move to the Z30 if you already have a Z50 and I'm sure Nikon knows that.

After the Z30 was released, I saw my Youtube feed filled with content creators using the Z30...so Nikon's marketing team definitely knows their target audience for this camera. I still think it'd be a solid photography camera, especially using the Z50/Zfc sensor. An excellent camera for someone in the market for a camera like this. If you know what kind of photography you're doing and know what you need, you already know the answer to "do i need this camera"

Jun 30, 2022 at 07:44 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

mawz
• • • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Z30

ArizonaImage wrote:
For $700, I dont think you'll find a camera with IBIS. The Z50 should have had it at that price range. I am glad Nikon got its foot in this category, sure it lacks some features, but, its not for pros. Vloggers are hardly picky about cameras at the beginning.

Olympus EM10.4, Panasonic GX85, G7, G100 all have IBIS for that money or less

-note the G100 is a direct competitor to the Z30 for the streamer market.

Jun 30, 2022 at 08:53 AM
ArizonaImage
• • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Z30

mawz wrote:

I stand corrected. Nikon should file for bankruptcy immediately.

Jun 30, 2022 at 10:38 AM
2of9
• •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Z30

mawz wrote:

Those are all M43 sensor cameras too. Personally, I wouldn't really care but some people do care about M43, APSC, Full-Frame sensors in a camera. I'd assume smaller sensor + smaller body + smaller lenses = less cost compared to the APSC and Full Frame cameras.

A friend let me handle his Fuji XT10 (with the 18-55 2.8-4) during a car show....man...oh...man, that made me want to grab a Fuji camera, haha!

Jun 30, 2022 at 10:55 AM
okafoja
• • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Z30

Nikon has lost a lot of shooters to Canon and Sony, and they will continue to do so if they don't come out with an affordable mini Z9 asap. Z30 or whatever is not going to cut it. I have moved back to Canon since trying out R5. I kept Z6, DF, and a few Nikon lenses hoping they would bounce back sooner.

Jun 30, 2022 at 11:51 AM
RoamingScott
• • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Z30

I have no clue who you are or what you shoot. Your profile says you are a birder, which falls into that ďmost demanding actionĒ category. Nothing I said was wrong.

jwolfe wrote:
That is not true. They are totally useless for what I shoot. I need Z9/A1 af to justify an upgrade.

Jul 01, 2022 at 09:01 AM
Waynedb123

p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Z30

okafoja wrote:
Nikon has lost a lot of shooters to Canon and Sony, and they will continue to do so if they don't come out with an affordable mini Z9 asap. Z30 or whatever is not going to cut it. I have moved back to Canon since trying out R5. I kept Z6, DF, and a few Nikon lenses hoping they would bounce back sooner.

I imagine the new Fuji and Canon R7 cameras will cause some people to switch, a good APS-C Nikon will also get people willing to spend money on bigger lenses like the new 400mm f4.5, the 100-400mm and eventually the 200-600. Z30 buyers are not going to spend big money on lenses. I switched to Nikon two years ago from Canon, I bought four lenses and I am not buying anything else until Nikon makes a camera I am interested in buying, if it never happens I will just use my D500 and D810 until they longer work.

Jul 01, 2022 at 09:47 AM
lxdesign
• • • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Z30

I like the idea of this cameraÖ. although possibly not for me, I am intrigued. I would get one for work, and/or recommend it to folks that I know who do a lot of content creation and streaming.

Jul 06, 2022 at 08:09 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password