Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1      
2
       3       end
  

Z30

  
 
thedruid
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Z30


Way to go Nikon another Aps-c body 👍🏻


Jun 29, 2022 at 11:03 AM
CanadaMark
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Z30


While I doubt this camera interests many people here, it's nice to see Nikon trying to get into some other markets (vlogging/YouTubers) with a competitive offering. That's good for everyone at the end of the day. At first glance it seems they got a lot right with cropless 4K (most vloggers like wide), no real recording limits, livestreaming, etc. I suspect it will see quite a few FW updates as well to bring it more in line with the Sony vlogging feature set (like product showcase mode which is an awesome feature). Seems like a great upgrade especially for someone currently using their smartphone. Lack of IBIS isn't a big deal, these cameras spend most of their time on tripods or gimbals and it keeps size/cost to a minimum.


Jun 29, 2022 at 11:35 AM
okafoja
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Z30


I'm wondering why nobody is talking about the autofocus on z30. Are there any noticeable improvements over Z6ii? Anything borrowed from Z9 autofocus.


Jun 29, 2022 at 12:57 PM
JadedWriter
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Z30


It looks pretty stable from what I saw in Fro's vid. Nobody's buying this for birding IMO.
okafoja wrote:
I'm wondering why nobody is talking about the autofocus on z30. Are there any noticeable improvements over Z6ii? Anything borrowed from Z9 autofocus.





Jun 29, 2022 at 01:07 PM
mawz
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Z30


okafoja wrote:
I'm wondering why nobody is talking about the autofocus on z30. Are there any noticeable improvements over Z6ii? Anything borrowed from Z9 autofocus.


I don't think anyone expects anything more than the same AF capability of the Z50/Z fc, since it's another rehash of the same basic hardware.



Jun 29, 2022 at 01:08 PM
RoamingScott
Online
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Z30


okafoja wrote:
I'm wondering why nobody is talking about the autofocus on z30. Are there any noticeable improvements over Z6ii? Anything borrowed from Z9 autofocus.


This only needs good AF for talking head/walk-and-vlog videos.



Jun 29, 2022 at 01:18 PM
runamuck
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Z30


A whole shitpot of non VR lenses and NO IBIS. 21Mpx when the D3xxx had 24?


Jun 29, 2022 at 02:13 PM
jwolfe
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Z30


I don't think it's a bad product to launch. It's bad timing.

Nikon desperately needs more bodies with the Z9 AF tech in the lineup. Especially a D500 and a D850 replacement. Right now they are churning out a bunch of low-end bodies. I just hope the user base is patient enough to wait two more years to flush out the system. They have great lenses, but only one good body to use them on.



Jun 29, 2022 at 04:24 PM
JadedWriter
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Z30


It'll probably take way more than two more years to flesh out the system just concentrating on the fast glass that's not even on the roadmap. D850 replacement should be the Z7III if they just want to roll over the body style of the Z9 into that without a grip which I would think would be out by 2023, D500 is a who the F knows type of thing since only Fuji is concentrating on DX like that. They also need an A9 contender and that's nowhere to be seen either. They just concentrated on the extreme ends of both markets and ignored the middle ground. I honestly want faster non birding glass than anything else currently.
jwolfe wrote:
I don't think it's a bad product to launch. It's bad timing.

Nikon desperately needs more bodies with the Z9 AF tech in the lineup. Especially a D500 and a D850 replacement. Right now they are churning out a bunch of low-end bodies. I just hope the user base is patient enough to wait two more years to flush out the system. They have great lenses, but only one good body to use them on.





Jun 29, 2022 at 04:37 PM
RoamingScott
Online
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Z30


jwolfe wrote:
I don't think it's a bad product to launch. It's bad timing.

Nikon desperately needs more bodies with the Z9 AF tech in the lineup. Especially a D500 and a D850 replacement. Right now they are churning out a bunch of low-end bodies. I just hope the user base is patient enough to wait two more years to flush out the system. They have great lenses, but only one good body to use them on.


Total hyperbole. The Z6ii and Z7ii produce beautiful photographs of everything but the most demanding action subjects.



Jun 29, 2022 at 04:37 PM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

CanadaMark
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Z30


jwolfe wrote:
I don't think it's a bad product to launch. It's bad timing.

Nikon desperately needs more bodies with the Z9 AF tech in the lineup. Especially a D500 and a D850 replacement. Right now they are churning out a bunch of low-end bodies. I just hope the user base is patient enough to wait two more years to flush out the system. They have great lenses, but only one good body to use them on.


Low-end bodies make them a lot of money, and it's probably very easy for them to get a product like the Z30 to market as it's still using older tech and they do not require such advanced sensors. I'm not sure exactly what it looks like today, but in the DSLR days Nikon made over 80% of it's imaging revenue from entry level DX bodies & kits, so while enthusiasts like us are waiting for the higher-end stuff, that's not necessarily where the money is from Nikon's perspective. Entry level bodies also get people into the Nikon system, and some of those people will go on to buy more expensive lenses and/or higher end cameras, and a loyal customer is the most valuable type of customer. I suspect they are trying to balance product releases between what is most profitable to them and what the vocal minority want.

I am sure that Nikon is well aware people are anxiously waiting on Z6/Z7 III's and a mirrorless D500 equivalent (hopefully with a stacked sensor). The Z6/Z7 are still great cameras though, the only thing they don't really keep up with is the faster action. They have gone out of their way to say that updates with Z9 tech are coming to lower-tier cameras, and I'm sure if it were possible they would be available already. They are killing it with the lenses though, and have several unique options not available anywhere else at fantastic prices to boot. As soon as they can get a couple new updated bodies out the door there won't be much to complain about anymore, but I fully agree the sooner the better. If I had to guess, sourcing components and sensors suitable for mass production is probably their biggest challenge right now.



Jun 29, 2022 at 04:44 PM
Joseph.
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Z30


This camera is being marketed to youngins but why is it so hard for Nikon to understand what Gen Z want?? My 10 and 20 yr old kids don't have time nor patience to shoot with cameras like these, that requires them to STILL connect it to their phone, transfer content, edit, and then stream or publish using THEIR PHONE. That is just way too many steps. These are kids, not old farts like us who still find amusement in using Compact Flash cards and edit NEFs in Adobe Lightroom.

What kids want is EASY and DIRECT connection to social media. Put a Facebook app in that camera that allows them to shoot and post directly to FB in seconds. Have a built in Instagram app so they can do IG Live straight from the camera. Make the cameras social media ready that they won't even have to pull out their phones. Put an on screen keyboard so they can DM/IM/PM their besties right from the camera. Have something that kids will want that they can't find in their phones. I don't get why Nikon is so conservative in their approach to cameras.

And Nikon, please enough with these boring black camera bodies. It's not 2008 anymore and the D700 is long gone. Make some retro flavored cameras that Gen Z shooters can customize and order online. Make them be able to customize camera colors along with retro dials with social media capability. Basically a social media ready Zfc that youngsters can call their own.

But instead, they make yet another camera that functions just like their other cameras. If I'm a Vlogger, why would I waste my time with this camera when I can simply pick up my phone and have unlimited filters, and be live on social media in seconds?

Edited on Jun 29, 2022 at 05:21 PM · View previous versions



Jun 29, 2022 at 05:16 PM
RoamingScott
Online
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Z30


This post is the perfect encapsulation of not understanding what market this camera appeals to. Itís so good I almost wonder if itís satire.

Joseph. wrote:
This camera is being marketed to youngins but why is it so hard for Nikon to understand what Gen Z want?? My 10 and 20 yr old kids don't have time nor patience to shoot with cameras like these, that requires them to STILL connect it to their phone, transfer content, edit, and then stream or publish using THEIR PHONE. That is just way too many steps. These are kids, not old farts like us who still find amusement in using Compact Flash cards and edit NEFs in Adobe Lightroom.

What kids want is EASY and DIRECT connection to social media.
...Show more



Jun 29, 2022 at 05:21 PM
CanadaMark
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Z30


Especially during the pandemic, YouTube channels and vlogging got a huge surge in popularity from all age groups. There is a major difference in quality and post processing leeway between the 4K video something like a Z30 puts out (or even the 1" Sony blogger-centric cameras) and an iPhone, and it costs half the price of a high-end smartphone. Smartphones also do not have advanced face/eye tracking AF important to these types of users, though the DOF from the incredibly tiny sensors helps mitigate this. There are no professional YT channels shooting their content with a smartphone that I am aware of, in fact the more popular channels and creators have entire filing and editing crews. The more popular Instagram influencers have professional photographers/videographers follow them around. Quality is very much a concern even for the younger generation, at least after a certain point.

If you want to do extremely basic filming and sharing with little to no post processing, a smartphone, Dji Osmo, or GoPro on a stick does the job. It would also be somewhat pointless to release a camera that only does what any smartphone can already do and nothing better, but that is a very low bar. The Z30 is designed to live on a tripod or a gimbal - most content creators want their hands free. The Z30 also does have live streaming capability and programs like SnapBridge already allow you to post an image to social media seconds after capture.

The vast majority of us on this forum are not the target market for the Z30, but I think it's good that Nikon is expanding into other markets.





Jun 29, 2022 at 05:36 PM
JasonTheBirder
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Z30


CanadaMark wrote:
Especially during the pandemic, YouTube channels and vlogging got a huge surge in popularity from all age groups. There is a major difference in quality and post processing leeway between the 4K video something like a Z30 puts out (or even the 1" Sony blogger-centric cameras) and an iPhone, and it costs half the price of a high-end smartphone. Smartphones also do not have advanced face/eye tracking AF important to these types of users, though the DOF from the incredibly tiny sensors helps mitigate this. There are no professional YT channels shooting their content with a smartphone that I am
...Show more

yeah, I honestly think we should be extremely happy that video is so huge. Without video camera companies would have far fewer customers now, the cameras would be worse, and to top it off, they'd be more expensive too.



Jun 29, 2022 at 05:39 PM
Joseph.
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Z30


RoamingScott wrote:
This post is the perfect encapsulation of not understanding what market this camera appeals to. Itís so good I almost wonder if itís satire.



If you donít get what Iím saying then maybe itís too complicated for you. I wonít sweat it bro.




Jun 29, 2022 at 05:41 PM
JadedWriter
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Z30


I have edited poorly shot stuff from student off of Iphones and built in webcams, the latitude is dog poop.
CanadaMark wrote:
Especially during the pandemic, YouTube channels and vlogging got a huge surge in popularity from all age groups. There is a major difference in quality and post processing leeway between the 4K video something like a Z30 puts out (or even the 1" Sony blogger-centric cameras) and an iPhone, and it costs half the price of a high-end smartphone. Smartphones also do not have advanced face/eye tracking AF important to these types of users, though the DOF from the incredibly tiny sensors helps mitigate this. There are no professional YT channels shooting their content with a smartphone that I am
...Show more




Jun 29, 2022 at 05:49 PM
RoamingScott
Online
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Z30


Joseph. wrote:
If you donít get what Iím saying then maybe itís too complicated for you. I wonít sweat it bro.



Just take your lumps, you have no clue what you're talking about here. That's fine. Learn from it and move on. Read Mark's post, he did a decent job dismantling your nonsensical thesis.



Jun 29, 2022 at 05:55 PM
JadedWriter
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Z30


"Where's my camera built solely for stills?" That market is so effing dead and if they did make said camera it would be Leica priced to offset the amount of people that wouldn't buy it. The future of photography isn't a bunch of old dudes.
JasonTheBirder wrote:
yeah, I honestly think we should be extremely happy that video is so huge. Without video camera companies would have far fewer customers now, the cameras would be worse, and to top it off, they'd be more expensive too.





Jun 29, 2022 at 05:55 PM
jwolfe
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Z30


That is not true. They are totally useless for what I shoot. I need Z9/A1 af to justify an upgrade.

RoamingScott wrote:
Total hyperbole. The Z6ii and Z7ii produce beautiful photographs of everything but the most demanding action subjects.




Jun 29, 2022 at 06:11 PM
1      
2
       3       end






FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1      
2
       3       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password