Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro World | Join Upload & Sell

Which flash for a macro beginner?

betinski

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Which flash for a macro beginner?

Hello. I have the Sony A7R4 and recently bought a used Sony 90mm to try my hand at macro. I've never used a flash before and would like to get an easy to use, lightweight flash. Godox and Sony keep coming up in my search. I'd appreciate any advice on what to buy and/or helpful sites about macro photography. Thanks!

Jun 26, 2022 at 04:12 PM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Which flash for a macro beginner?

betinski wrote:
Hello. I have the Sony A7R4 and recently bought a used Sony 90mm to try my hand at macro. I've never used a flash before and would like to get an easy to use, lightweight flash. Godox and Sony keep coming up in my search. I'd appreciate any advice on what to buy and/or helpful sites about macro photography. Thanks!

I am not going to recommend one

Of you use manual flash, you are going to have to do calculations, taking into account magnification, aperture and ISO.

Far better to use through the lens (TTL) metered flash which controls the exposure. One which is diffused is best.

Harold

Jun 27, 2022 at 06:38 AM
Ripolini
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Which flash for a macro beginner?

What about a LED?
https://amzn.to/3zxjK31

Jun 27, 2022 at 10:27 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Which flash for a macro beginner?

Ripolini wrote:
What about a LED?
https://amzn.to/3zxjK31

You need flash to freeze movement. LEDs are OK for illumination for framing and focusing. I use LEDs for this purpose for high magnification when I don't have sunlight.

Harold

Jun 27, 2022 at 11:20 AM
Ripolini
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Which flash for a macro beginner?

e6filmuser wrote:
You need flash to freeze movement.

I never use flash in macro anymore

Jun 27, 2022 at 11:28 AM
betinski

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Which flash for a macro beginner?

Thanks Harold. This is very helpful.

Jun 27, 2022 at 03:52 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Which flash for a macro beginner?

Ripolini wrote:
I never use flash in macro anymore

I mostly don't for around 1:1 but at 5:1 I would not get many keepers.

Harold

Jun 27, 2022 at 11:24 PM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Which flash for a macro beginner?

betinski wrote:
Thanks Harold. This is very helpful.

You are very welcome. I now use RC TTL flash, usually free-standing, but I am mostly working at ground level or on dead wood. I had to wait many years before I could afford that.

I chose to discipline my macro by advancing up the magnifications over a few years, rather than jumping straight in.

Harold

Jun 27, 2022 at 11:29 PM
mdees88
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Which flash for a macro beginner?

betinski wrote:

I use a godox TT350C for my Canon R7 and it has worked "okay". I have had issues with it occasionally not firing on some images. I have been using cheap AA batteries though and I just bought some rechargeable Panasonic eneloop pro AA's to see of they work better. I also just purchased a Meike 320C to test out. This is the one Micael Widell uses on youtube. It has an LED modeling light which is a nice addition. I like the low profile. You will also need a diffuser. I use this one which he recommends. https://www.amazon.com/Diffuser-Eliminate-Foldable-Storage-Accessories/dp/B07VHPSGJX/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1RJJX2KJQM86Y&keywords=macro+diffuser&qid=1657062746&sprefix=macro+diffus%2Caps%2C235&sr=8-2

Here is his beginner macro tutorial....

Jul 05, 2022 at 06:15 PM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Which flash for a macro beginner?

mdees88 wrote:
I use a godox TT350C for my Canon R7 and it has worked "okay". I have had issues with it occasionally not firing on some images. I have been using cheap AA batteries though and I just bought some rechargeable Panasonic eneloop pro AA's to see of they work better. I also just purchased a Meike 320C to test out. This is the one Micael Widell uses on youtube. It has an LED modeling light which is a nice addition. I like the low profile. You will also need a diffuser. I use this one which he recommends. https://www.amazon.com/Diffuser-Eliminate-Foldable-Storage-Accessories/dp/B07VHPSGJX/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1RJJX2KJQM86Y&keywords=macro+diffuser&qid=1657062746&sprefix=macro+diffus%2Caps%2C235&sr=8-2

Beware of rechageables. Some flash guns seem to need 1.5V batteries, rechageables being 1.2V. The main ones I use with give only a few flashes from rechageables but hundreds from 1.5V.

Harold

Jul 06, 2022 at 12:52 AM
mdees88
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Which flash for a macro beginner?

e6filmuser wrote:
Beware of rechageables. Some flash guns seem to need 1.5V batteries, rechageables being 1.2V. The main ones I use with give only a few flashes from rechageables but hundreds from 1.5V.

Harold

Thanks for the heads up. I was talking to Brendan James (of Cygnustech flash diffusers) and he recommended the eneloop pros to me. I told him i was having issues with the tt350 and he said he has the same flash and it was likely the cheap batteries I was using.

After researching the eneloop pro's it appears they are designed/marketed specifically for flashes and the reviews look very promising. We will see anyway. I"m hoping they will solve my flash misfiring issue....

Jul 06, 2022 at 03:20 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Which flash for a macro beginner?

mdees88 wrote:
Thanks for the heads up. I was talking to Brendan James of Cygnustech and he recommended the eneloop pros to me. I told him i was having issues with the tt350 and he said he has the same flash and it was likely the cheap batteries I was using.

After researching the eneloop pro's it appears they are designed/marketed specifically for flashes and the reviews look very promising. We will see anyway. I"m hoping they will solve my flash misfiring issue....

I recently tried tracking down some such batteries, hoping to find some 1.5V rechargeables but there was some kind of problem. Perhaps they were not available in the UK. I will be interested in any success you have.

Harold

Jul 06, 2022 at 03:34 AM

FM Forums | Macro World | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password