Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2022 · When you die, will your photos die with you?

vallejo
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · When you die, will your photos die with you?

Hi all.
Yes, this may look like a weird post, but hey, we're all gonna go, right? Have you thought about it?
Consider someone without children, who has accumulated a large collection of photos over the years, some rather good and doesn't feel like it all just vanishing after he's gone...and it's not a narcisistic thought, it just that he like his work so much...
If you're a famous photographer you don't need to worry about it, but the rest of us...(like the other 8 billion people on earth)
Anyways, what are the possibilities? Self-publish some books? (who's gonna read them anyway...) Upload the best part to some stock agencie (s) and let them have a live by themselves?
Have you ever thought about it? Ideas?

André

Jun 24, 2022 at 11:51 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · When you die, will your photos die with you?

I sure hope so.

EBH

Jun 24, 2022 at 03:40 PM
rattymouse
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · When you die, will your photos die with you?

vallejo wrote:
Hi all.
Yes, this may look like a weird post, but hey, we're all gonna go, right? Have you thought about it?
Consider someone without children, who has accumulated a large collection of photos over the years, some rather good and doesn't feel like it all just vanishing after he's gone...and it's not a narcisistic thought, it just that he like his work so much...
If you're a famous photographer you don't need to worry about it, but the rest of us...(like the other 8 billion people on earth)
Anyways, what are the possibilities? Self-publish some books? (who's gonna read them anyway...) Upload
...Show more

I have kids so no problems there. If you die alone, that's what happens. All your stuff gets tossed.

Jun 24, 2022 at 07:38 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · When you die, will your photos die with you?

Data could be lost even before that if the mental conditions are inadequate to recall complex passwords. Examples would be Alzenheimers, vascular dementia, Lewy body dementia, etc.

EBH

Jun 24, 2022 at 08:54 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · When you die, will your photos die with you?

Now, while I'm alive, it really doesn't bother me, much. After I die, it won't bother me at all. All of my photos are backed up on external drives, and so they will be available (until bit rot sets in), if anybody cares to look. It's currently about 9 TB of files, and so it will take some looking.

Jun 25, 2022 at 06:49 AM
vallejo
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · When you die, will your photos die with you?

Not having kids and dying alone are very different things…rs

rattymouse wrote:
I have kids so no problems there. If you die alone, that's what happens. All your stuff gets tossed.

Jun 25, 2022 at 10:58 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · When you die, will your photos die with you?

vallejo wrote:
Not having kids and dying alone are very different things…rs

One could expect family and friends to keep and pass on photos of memories that interest them such as family holidays, gatherings, etc. Photos of landscapes are far less likely to be around in 50 years.

EBH

Jun 25, 2022 at 06:05 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · When you die, will your photos die with you?

EB-1 wrote:
One could expect family and friends to keep and pass on photos of memories that interest them such as family holidays, gatherings, etc. Photos of landscapes are far less likely to be around in 50 years.

EBH

A couple years ago I decided to create a large format book of my ancestors from the turn of the century. I hunted down many old photos and negatives from numerous relatives, scanned and retouched these images and made a 120 page high quality photo book (11x14 ). I made 25 copies of the book and gave them out to various relatives. Many were touched with the book, some brought to tears. Many of the photos in the book were taken over 100 years ago.

I did my part in keeping old memories alive for future generations,

Jun 25, 2022 at 06:48 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · When you die, will your photos die with you?

As long as it is posted somewhere on the Internet, it will live on until the next mass platform arises! Then who knows or if you are gone..dont care!

Jun 28, 2022 at 06:50 AM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · When you die, will your photos die with you?

Pictures also serve keeping alive the memory of those who have died tragically, well before their time, viz, the young man in the yellow shirt. An extraordinary athlete, fully amateur in the earliest and proper sense of the word, one of my very dearest friends, Wes Kessenich. At 60 years of age, he was tragically killed while doing what he loved most, preparing for his next competition. He was model for me, for my sons, and for the many of us who joined with him in the many ultra-marathons for which we all signed up. It breaks my heart, yet I can only imagine the impact on his family. This picture was taken, likely in Oct of 83 prior to running the AMJA 50 miler on the Chicago Lakefront. RIP, Wes. You've earned it!!

© anthonysemone 2022

Jun 28, 2022 at 01:41 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · When you die, will your photos die with you?

Each new generation will care less about your photos.

Jul 01, 2022 at 03:38 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · When you die, will your photos die with you?

Imagemaster wrote:
Each new generation will care less about your photos.

Really depends on the type of photo. Family photos can live on for generations. Bird photos will die quickly. My ancestor books are living on through 4 generations and most likely more.

Jul 02, 2022 at 07:44 AM
dmcphoto
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · When you die, will your photos die with you?

The only person who has to care about my photos is me. After I'm dead I won't know or care about anything, and I don't care if all of my photos vanish a second after I'm gone. If anyone else cares that's fine, and they can do what they like with them. I almost never take family photos, but everyone else does, so the people who might care about those already have them. Nothing lasts forever. That's how it's supposed to be.

Jul 02, 2022 at 01:44 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.