1       2      
       end

xt4 to gfx50sii?

mdude85
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · xt4 to gfx50sii?

Makten wrote:
Totally missing the point. What photographer uploads images to the web without viewing them at higher resolution?

I do -- sometimes I'll transfer from the XT4 or 100V via wifi to Lightroom mobile, edit, then upload to IG. Especially if a photo is already pretty good SOOC and only needs minimal work.

Also human eyes aren't even able to discern the number of colors that a typical monitor can display, and their resolution is usually at most 15 megapixels.

That being said there are some advantages to a medium format sensor especially for making very large prints or having much more latitude for cropping or retouching -- and the GFX lenses are some of the sharpest out there. Plus, if you are a commercial photographer then some clients expect the "best". If you're a hobbyist, and cost is even at all a factor (it must be nice to be someone for whom money is no object), there's just not much of a point. Plus, you still need a computer that can stand up to editing and storing those files.

Jun 28, 2022 at 05:01 PM
bobby350z
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · xt4 to gfx50sii?

I sent OP some shot at f5.6, XT1 vs GFX50s and OP's response was "wow, I can see the difference on my phone". I am not sure what typical monitor you guys use that you guys can't see the difference. I thought all of us here are using very nice monitors.

I should add, I am just a hobbyist. I don't need GFX for my needs but what the heck, you only live once so shoot with the best if you can afford it. Who cares it is art or not. It is a damn hobby to relax and get you out instead of spending more time in front of the tube. That's work. So not much pp for me.

Jun 28, 2022 at 05:22 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · xt4 to gfx50sii?

bobby350z wrote:
I sent OP some shot at f5.6, XT1 vs GFX50s and OP's response was "wow, I can see the difference on my phone". I am not sure what typical monitor you guys use that you guys can't see the difference. I thought all of us here are using very nice monitors.

I should add, I am just a hobbyist. I don't need GFX for my needs but what the heck, you only live once so shoot with the best if you can afford it. Who cares it is art or not. It is a damn hobby to relax and get you
...Show more

Post the shots here without telling us which is which.

Jun 28, 2022 at 05:40 PM
ftllens
• • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · xt4 to gfx50sii?

lol, it's turning into one of those threads again.

Jun 28, 2022 at 06:35 PM
bobby350z
• • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · xt4 to gfx50sii?

ftllens wrote:
lol, it's turning into one of those threads again.

What else you expected.

Jun 28, 2022 at 06:56 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Makten
• • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · xt4 to gfx50sii?

molson wrote:
I'm afraid you are missing the point - because once it's on the web, no one can tell the difference. Not to mention the ever-increasing numbers of people who transfer images from their camera to their phone so they can upload directly to the web...

So you seriously think that they resize their images before viewing them on their own computer, just because the smaller size is convenient for the web?

Edit: But then I agree, if people do that, they could use a potato in many cases. In some, there will be clearly visible differences even at small sizes though.

Jun 29, 2022 at 08:22 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · xt4 to gfx50sii?

bobby350z wrote:
...you only live once so shoot with the best if you can afford it.

In general, I agree with that sentiment getting a better thing if you can afford it has potential advantages to consider.

It sounds like for you this particular kind of camera and particular format fills that need in many ways, and that's fine and appropriate, too.

However, there are additional issues worth exploring, even among people who share this point of view in fact, especially. among such people, as they are counting on the extra expense producing that added value that the "best" promises.

The main question is about what "best" means, and then aligning the notion of "best" with the things that produce that result for the photographer. Let's say that for you the best is defined by having a very high system resolution in a system that is very good for a certain kind of portrait photography. There's a good argument that something like a GFX 100s could be "the best" for that sort of photography. We could perhaps agree that a small group of lenses might be the "best" for this kind of work. (There are counter-arguments, too, but I'll just accept this idea for the purpose of my point.)

The issue is that "best" is not a simple, one-dimensional thing here. It is impossible to identify one camera or camera system as being "the best" in a more universal way. (Let me apologize here to those who see how obvious this is. I'm writing this for folks who maybe don't yet see that. If the point I'm making is obvious... there's no reason to keep reading this.)

Let's say that the person's big interest isn't the kind of portrait photography that I mentioned, but lies elsewhere how about wildlife photography. It is quite likely (and it really should be obvious) that a GFX 100s is not the "best" system any more. (This is not to say that some fine, outlier photographer couldn't make it work...) The odds are pretty good that the best system now will be something like a high-end DSLR or mirrorless system with very fast AF, a deep and fast burst mode buffer, and so forth... equipped with some rather long lenses.

Or imagine someone doing what we might very loosely call old-school, classic street photography. Here the "best" system is neither of the above, but might more likely be a small and light system equipped with small and light lenses.

And so on...

So the argument for "getting the best," which is a useful, defensible idea, is not an argument for any single, particular system. Getting the "best" first requires the photographer to identify what it is that he/she is actually trying to accomplish and to then ask and answer some real-world questions about the effects of gear choices on those goals.

This loops back to the original post in this thread.

gabe212 wrote:
Hey I am thinking about selling off my xt4 and lenses to get the gfx50sii and the 80mm. I mainly do portraits. Single, couples, families, pets, kids. Do you think ill notice a big improvements? I downloaded a couple sample raws from the internet and I had a blast editing them.I know the focus will be a lot slower but I used to shoot with a canon 6d and 85mm 1.2. That thing was pretty slow but I still loved it. Is it worth it?!

There's never going to be agreement among this crowd about the answer to this question. For ne thing, we don't have all the facts. (How large does this person print? How will the objectively measurable differences between the two systems affect clients' perceptions of the work? etc...) In addition, there are highly subjective imponderables here: "Is it worth it?" Who knows?

Honestly, I think that the best thing for our OP to do is to rent/borrow a 50MP Fujifilm GFX system and make some photographs of the sort he would use it for, print them up (if that's the output format he usually provides to his portrait clients) and ponder. And then, assuming that this is a portrait business, ask whether the visible differences, if any, do or do not justify the costs of replacing his current system.

Again, while each of us can come to some conclusions about what is best for us, what is best for someone else is not necessarily going to be the same thing.

Jun 29, 2022 at 09:20 AM
gabe212

p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · xt4 to gfx50sii?

post them! I want to see if they can tell lol

Jul 01, 2022 at 06:37 PM
AmbientMike
• • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · xt4 to gfx50sii?

gabe212 wrote:
Hey I am thinking about selling off my xt4 and lenses to get the gfx50sii and the 80mm. I mainly do portraits. Single, couples, families, pets, kids. Do you think ill notice a big improvements? I downloaded a couple sample raws from the internet and I had a blast editing them.I know the focus will be a lot slower but I used to shoot with a canon 6d and 85mm 1.2. That thing was pretty slow but I still loved it. Is it worth it?!

Yes I think it is. I shoot Canon aps and am happy using it, no plans to switch. And clearly one can do portraits using aps. But if I did a lot of portraits I'd be looking a lot more seriously at a larger sensor. Idk if I can explain it, better skin tones or something. And you font generally need a bunch of lenses to do portraits. A single tele could be ok

Jul 03, 2022 at 11:41 AM
shadow9d9
• • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · xt4 to gfx50sii?

molson wrote:
I'm afraid you are missing the point - because once it's on the web, no one can tell the difference. Not to mention the ever-increasing numbers of people who transfer images from their camera to their phone so they can upload directly to the web...

Does that include smugmug uploads? They look pretty darned good.

Jul 03, 2022 at 01:07 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password