New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

xt4 to gfx50sii?

gabe212

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · xt4 to gfx50sii?

Hey I am thinking about selling off my xt4 and lenses to get the gfx50sii and the 80mm. I mainly do portraits. Single, couples, families, pets, kids. Do you think ill notice a big improvements? I downloaded a couple sample raws from the internet and I had a blast editing them.I know the focus will be a lot slower but I used to shoot with a canon 6d and 85mm 1.2. That thing was pretty slow but I still loved it. Is it worth it?!

Jun 23, 2022 at 07:09 PM
genjy
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · xt4 to gfx50sii?

I shoot events with a X-T4 (plus other cameras). Things that matter most are AF speed and DR. High resolution isn't required since the photos are usually shared on social media and web albums. Do you need MF resolution? Do you think MF produces a look you prefer?

Jun 23, 2022 at 07:34 PM
gabe212

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · xt4 to gfx50sii?

I am currently only sharing via social media and web albums. I would like to start printing more. I will say when I look at MF photo it does have a look that I love. Or is that the photographers style / editing process that I love?

I will also say the raw samples of the 50sii and 80mm was way easier for me to edit and get the final product I was looking for.

Jun 23, 2022 at 08:06 PM
ftllens
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · xt4 to gfx50sii?

Yes, just do it. Better to try it and then know if it was worth it or not vs. just imaginblocking yourself from trying something new. Biggest difference is quality of noise.

Jun 23, 2022 at 10:04 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · xt4 to gfx50sii?

You can reliably make excellent 20" x 30" prints from the XT4. Are you generally printing larger than that?

Jun 23, 2022 at 10:47 PM
bobby350z
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · xt4 to gfx50sii?

I don't have XT4, but files from the GFX even the older 50MP version are better than any FF I have used. Some will say no but then they don't shoot with the GFX. Portraits, landscapes, it rules.

Jun 23, 2022 at 11:31 PM
gabe212

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · xt4 to gfx50sii?

I am leaning on just going for it.. lol. I keep going back and fourth on getting the 50sii or one of the older models.

Jun 24, 2022 at 04:22 AM
Sauseschritt
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · xt4 to gfx50sii?

First of all, congratulations on 6D + 85/1.2. You have the right idea about priorities. The 80/1.7 from Fujifilm is also an outstanding lens.

I'm not sure if you will actually see differences on web resultions.

For the camera personally I'd get a used 50R, simply because they're the cheapest and have no real drawback, certainly not in regards to archievable image quality. Unless you plan to also get a 100S later, for which a 50S II would be the ideal companion (same body, same interface, same batteries). The 50S II also has the fastest autofocus among all 50 Megapixel bodies. Still only contrast autofocus though.

Jun 24, 2022 at 05:19 AM
bobby350z
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · xt4 to gfx50sii?

My take:

1. AF on all 50MP is slow, want faster AF, GFX100s and even that is slower compared to XT4 or any FF
2. 50r, if you like me who likes dSLR, you won't like it. I prefer 50s more, even more than GFX100s and GFX50s-II as 50s can take tilt adapter and EVF sticks out more , is comfy and better for eye glass wearers.
3. 50r can't flip LCD in portrait mode, it is no go for someone like me who has problems shooting from lower angle. With 50s, 50s-II, 100s, I can sit, put my camera on the ground, flip the LCD and shoot.

Jun 24, 2022 at 08:36 AM
gabe212

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · xt4 to gfx50sii?

so here are the options I've found so far..

a used but practically new 100s with a new in box 50mm - $5675
or A used 50sii and 80mm 1.7 for $4850

so conflicted!

Jun 24, 2022 at 12:47 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Sauseschritt
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · xt4 to gfx50sii?

What conflict ?

Isnt a 50S II with 80/1.7 what you want ?

The 50mm pancake is great for having a compact package. So it would ideally be paired with a 50R, I think.

Jun 24, 2022 at 01:05 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · xt4 to gfx50sii?

Sauseschritt wrote:
What conflict ?

Isnt a 50S II with 80/1.7 what you want ?

I agree - that would seem to be a "no brainer"...

Jun 25, 2022 at 08:58 AM
gabe212

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · xt4 to gfx50sii?

lol sorry guys, I keep going back and forth on which route I want to go.

Jun 25, 2022 at 09:11 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · xt4 to gfx50sii?

gabe212 wrote:
lol sorry guys, I keep going back and forth on which route I want to go.

I wonder if the conflict — not an unusual one, by the way — is between the practical question of how much difference this will really make to your photography and the lure of the gear-lust-inducing bag sensor camera?

Some of the responses in this thread — and in others like it — tend to go that way, too. On one hand you'll see some of the "just do it!" responses that don't focus on the objective question; on the other hand you'll see those pesky question about how large you print, what differences you actually expect to see in your work, and about the potential downsides of the move.

Good luck.

Dan

Jun 25, 2022 at 10:21 AM
george malamis
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · xt4 to gfx50sii?

I have the canon 5d classic and when the 5DSR went on sale last year I decided I would upgrade for the resolution. When I shot them side by side I preferred the colors of the original 5D and expected to blown away with the resolution of the 5DSR but wasn't. I sold the 5DSR and ordered the GFX100S. The difference there from a resolution perspective was night and day. Many times with the 5D I would take a photo and want to crop in tight and the image couldn't hold up. This isn't the case with the gfx and the contrast, color gradient and ability to recover shadows is impressive. So many images I have taken with the 5D I wish I could print larger and with some newer programs you can enlarge it but it is never going to be as good as it would if it was shot natively at that size. So do you need the larger sensor, newer camera - no but if in the back of your mind you think I'm never going to be at this spot again, or these conditions again, wish I had more resolution, there's no point to have regrets.

Jun 25, 2022 at 11:36 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · xt4 to gfx50sii?

george malamis wrote:
I have the canon 5d classic and when the 5DSR went on sale last year I decided I would upgrade for the resolution. When I shot them side by side I preferred the colors of the original 5D and expected to blown away with the resolution of the 5DSR but wasn't. I sold the 5DSR and ordered the GFX100S. The difference there from a resolution perspective was night and day. Many times with the 5D I would take a photo and want to crop in tight and the image couldn't hold up. This isn't the case with the gfx
...Show more

As a former user of the 5D and a current user of the 5DsR, your comparison of those cameras perplexes me. The difference between 12MP and 50MP is quite striking if you push the upper boundaries of print size. I can definitely produce a larger print from the latter camera.

As to the supposedly superior colors of the 5D, that is not my experience at all. The 5DsR equals or exceeds the performance of the 5D (which was a find camera when it was introduced 17 years ago).

I'm baffled by your "image wouldn't hold up" comment. I wonder if you were using problematic lenses, shooting handheld, or having focus issues. A sharp 5DsR image most certainly holds up zoomed in, and it looks quite good even at higher than 100% magnification. There is no issue whatsoever producing excellent quality 30" x 40" prints from the 5DsR, and larger sizes are possible.

I don't mean to diminish the attributes of the 100s. It is a fine camera if the feature set is right for your photography. There's no question that with the right lenses and careful technique you can get a higher resolution image with a 100MP sensor. But in order to actually see a resolution difference in your real-world output you are going to have to display quite large, as in way larger than most people will even display.

Jun 25, 2022 at 10:22 PM
Forum GAS

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · xt4 to gfx50sii?

Things to consider:

1. Are you okay with PASM type of controls vs. the dials on the X-T4?
2. Why did you pick the X-T4 over a DSLR? Was it because of size? Then, maybe the GFX isn’t ideal.
3. Can you live with just one focal length? Are you financially able to buy more lenses?
4. Are your subjects moving and how much?
5. Is your work professional? Is it critical to nail focus most of the time on the eyes? The older models probably won’t be as good at focus.
6. How often do you use a camera for other things like on vacation? Can you live with a bigger camera for these occasions?

I would suspect image stabilization would help in your photography genre. That may rule out say the 50R.

Jun 26, 2022 at 01:07 AM
Forum GAS

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · xt4 to gfx50sii?

genjy wrote:
I shoot events with a X-T4 (plus other cameras). Things that matter most are AF speed and DR. High resolution isn't required since the photos are usually shared on social media and web albums. Do you need MF resolution? Do you think MF produces a look you prefer?

The DR from the GFX is a lot bigger than the X-series. Whether the difference is important for portraiture is another question. I am not qualified to answer. For landscape, it is quite meaningful.

Jun 26, 2022 at 01:12 AM
gabe212

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · xt4 to gfx50sii?

Yes im okay with controls, I do enjoy the smaller size of the xt4 that is one of my main concerns. Will I be keen on bringing it with me as much as I bring the xt4? I think I can live with one focal length for a good period of time. Will probably want to invest in the 50mm for a walk around lens and vacation, or something wider eventually. The most my subjects will be moving is the babies/kids. Will the 50sii have a problem keeping up? Yeah for portraits I would likely not use a photo if eye is not in focus, that being said I don't even really use the eye tracking on xt4, I do it manually with single point focus and joystick. (The fact that I use that technique gives me hope that I won't have an issue with the AF of the 50sii.)

Jun 26, 2022 at 05:55 AM
george malamis
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · xt4 to gfx50sii?

gdanmitchell wrote:
As a former user of the 5D and a current user of the 5DsR, your comparison of those cameras perplexes me. The difference between 12MP and 50MP is quite striking if you push the upper boundaries of print size. I can definitely produce a larger print from the latter camera.

As to the supposedly superior colors of the 5D, that is not my experience at all. The 5DsR equals or exceeds the performance of the 5D (which was a find camera when it was introduced 17 years ago).

I'm baffled by your "image wouldn't hold up" comment. I wonder if
...Show more

So my comments on the resolution of the 5D and the 5DSR is obviously the latter has the resolution but I expected the jump to be bigger when viewed on my 4k monitor.
The colors on the 5D in my opinion are better than the 5DSR. I'm not trying to debate it with anyone, I liked the 5D colors better.
The image not holding up comment when cropping in was on the 5D.
Also, handholding the 5DSR I needed shutter speeds of at least 1/(2X focal length).

Jun 26, 2022 at 07:42 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password