New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2022 · Environmental portraits where the landscape is the subject

johnld
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Environmental portraits where the landscape is the subject

I'm shooting a client who wants photos of their gardens. However, for this particular session I'm going to include them in the scene as an element, but not as the main subject of the photographs. It's more or less an environmental portrait, but featuring the flora instead of the clients. I'm thinking of using a nodal slide to "pan" the photos and edit in post. Wide angle lenses would not work as the area is varied and the distortion of a wide angle lens would not be as appealing. I know this is a "people photography" section, but being it is essentially environmental portraits, I thought I would ask what others might do. Thanks.

Jun 23, 2022 at 11:00 AM
airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Environmental portraits where the landscape is the subject

I would have them working in the garden. Not looking at the camera and have them small or in a more insignificant part of the frame. Clothing that will keep them from standing out. Depends on how you use the lens, what type of lens and how wide the lens is that will cause undesirable distortion. I wouldn't rule out all wide angle lenses.

Jun 23, 2022 at 12:24 PM
JohnSil
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Environmental portraits where the landscape is the subject

John, what you describe is done everyday by many including many of us here. How you handle the composition is key.
I've seen many outstanding landscapes and then carelessly there's a naked woman stuck somewhere in the frame, completely out of place and in no way connected, ruining both shots.
There has to be a harmony or purpose.
For example your subject could be leaning over and smelling some roses. Or with a bouquet of flowers in one hand and picking a flower to add to the bouquet or with an old fashioned watering can, watering the flowers, etc. It can be done very well or it can be done very poorly. The idea is to have continuity with the natural habitat. The space you are speaking of was likely created for the enjoyment of humans, so there's nothing wrong with having a human in it!
The tech aspects are your challenge, like the pano or splicing or whatever. Most are only interested in the final image. Personally I'd keep it as simple as possible. I'm glad to post an example of a garden if you like.
John

Jun 23, 2022 at 12:45 PM
johnld
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Environmental portraits where the landscape is the subject

JohnSil wrote:
John, what you describe is done everyday by many including many of us here. How you handle the composition is key.
I've seen many outstanding landscapes and then carelessly there's a naked woman stuck somewhere in the frame, completely out of place and in no way connected, ruining both shots.
There has to be a harmony or purpose.
For example your subject could be leaning over and smelling some roses. Or with a bouquet of flowers in one hand and picking a flower to add to the bouquet or with an old fashioned watering can, watering the flowers, etc. It can be
...Show more

Thanks John. Yes, photos are welcomed. The gardens are in fact, created by the clients. Hence, the idea to showcase the flora with the clients as part of the natural harmony. Thank you.

Jun 23, 2022 at 05:15 PM
johnld
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Environmental portraits where the landscape is the subject

airfrogusmc wrote:
I would have them working in the garden. Not looking at the camera and have them small or in a more insignificant part of the frame. Clothing that will keep them from standing out. Depends on how you use the lens, what type of lens and how wide the lens is that will cause undesirable distortion. I wouldn't rule out all wide angle lenses.

Great points. This could be more like "street" photography, but instead of sidewalks and buildings, it'll be hosta's and butterfly bush!

Jun 23, 2022 at 05:17 PM
JohnSil
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Environmental portraits where the landscape is the subject

johnld wrote:
Thanks John. Yes, photos are welcomed. The gardens are in fact, created by the clients. Hence, the idea to showcase the flora with the clients as part of the natural harmony. Thank you.

John, here's an environmental shot that is self explanatory but mainly because it contains the elephant in the room! It's pretty obvious it's in Paris. I was trying to make a shot of the beauty of the surroundings that's are never photographed so was de-emphasizing the over shot Eiffel Tower. There are gardens around it and I found this couple sitting on a bench that would give it the people element in a natural way. I of course had no idea who they were and I don't think they even knew I was there. Just another GWAC! Anyway, just an idea how I tied a famous landmark in an intimate way with it's surroundings/environment.
John

Jun 24, 2022 at 01:40 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.