New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

end

It's Coming...

atnpro
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · It's Coming...

Everything is a race to the bottom. You can witness the evidence in every aspect from art, architecture, film, literature, music, and so on. That's why large format film surrendered to medium format, which in turn yielded its way to 35mm film, and so on. People don't care about quality but quantity. More is the key word.

Jun 23, 2022 at 05:15 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · It's Coming...

RexGig0 wrote:
Cameras were invented almost 200 years ago, but, I can still drive to a local artists’ supply store, and buy paintbrushes.

I would rather create, than compute, regardless what the mass market does…

Welcome fellow film shooter!

Jun 23, 2022 at 05:27 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · It's Coming...

andrewd01 wrote:
I always thought ‘Rebel’ was a bizarre marketing pitch for a cheap plastic DSLR. For me Rebel makes me think of a heavily tattooed outlaw motorcyclist, toting a sawn-off shotgun. I can’t imagine characters like this being interested in digital photography.

Well, that was the name picked by the focus group. Which I think was understandable seeing that the other choices were:

1. Canon Hoodlum
2. Canon Miscreant
3. Canon Curmudgeon.

Jun 23, 2022 at 05:31 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · It's Coming...

Cell phones are already the dominant for photography for the masses, so such a prediction doesn't surprise me, and I expect the market to look very different over the coming decade. I expect enthusiasts and pros who prefer dedicated cameras will be paying significantly more for that choice, with fewer choices available on the new market than there are now.

That said, cell phones will never replace a dedicated camera for me. My camera doesn't ring, or alert me when I've got a meeting scheduled, or do anything else that interrupts my flow when I'm taking photos or video. I do use the camera on my cell phone for quick shoot and share videos of my dog or if I don't have my reading glasses and need to magnify a label or some other small print media, but, for images I've hunted down and waited for the best light or videos of keepsake moments, I will always turn to a dedicated camera, even if I have to pay Leica prices for it.

Jun 23, 2022 at 07:02 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

1bwana1
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · It's Coming...

Don't lose sight of the original statement from the Sony Sensor CEO. He was speaking directly of Image Quality not the other issues of form factor and convienience. On all other fronts the Smartphone is already victorious in stills and video.

Image Quality. An amazing prediction from someone in a strong position to know.

Jun 23, 2022 at 08:08 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · It's Coming...

1bwana1 wrote:
Don't lose sight of the original statement from the Sony Sensor CEO. He was speaking directly of Image Quality not the other issues of form factor and convienience. On all other fronts the Smartphone is already victorious in stills and video.

Image Quality. An amazing prediction from someone in a strong position to know.

It all goes hand in hand, though. Cell phones are the most popular, so naturally you'll see the most advances in that form because it's the most competitive space.

Jun 23, 2022 at 10:31 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · It's Coming...

atnpro wrote:
Everything is a race to the bottom. You can witness the evidence in every aspect from art, architecture, film, literature, music, and so on. That's why large format film surrendered to medium format, which in turn yielded its way to 35mm film, and so on. People don't care about quality but quantity. More is the key word.

We're starting to see a change here, in our local newspaper (of all places). For many years, newspaper and other news images have been racing to the bottom of the quality pit, as journalists more and more often use their phones for story images, and 'real' photographers are (and have been) let go. Same here, until recently. Now, most editions (paper & html) feature an interesting photo on the front page (taken by staff photographer), and often one or a few more. I know at least a few of these photogs, and they generally don't use their phones for images, although they probably do sometimes (as do I). I hope this trend continues, as many people still care about quality.

Jun 24, 2022 at 07:12 AM
       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password