FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

It's Coming...

atnpro
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · It's Coming...

Smartphones will kill off the DSLR within three years says Sony

https://www.techradar.com/news/smartphones-will-kill-off-the-dslr-within-three-years-says-sony

Smartphone cameras and DSLRs have been moving in opposite directions for the past few years, and image quality from phones will finally trump that of their single-lens reflex rivals by 2024, according to Sony.

>As reported by Nikkei Japan, the President and CEO of Sony Semiconductor Solutions (SSS), Terushi Shimizu, told a business briefing that "we expect that still images [from smartphones] will exceed the image quality of single-lens reflex cameras within the next few years".

Jun 23, 2022 at 01:43 AM
Sauseschritt
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · It's Coming...

I mean I dont have the highest opinion of Sony in the first place.

But OH MY GOD this is so retarded, I cant believe it, not even from Sony.

Sure, mirrorless might kill DSLRs. Thats seems to be whats happening.

But ... SMARTPHONES ROTFL !!!

By the way, if smartphones could kill DSLR, they would also kill mirrorless.

Jun 23, 2022 at 02:04 AM
Arka
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · It's Coming...

Sauseschritt wrote:

Not necessarily. Mirrorless cameras share an important feature with smartphone cameras - they can continuously receive and process image information in a way that dSLRs cannot. That means that much of the seemingly miraculous functionality we're seeing in tiny smartphone sensors could also be applied to larger mirrorless camera sensors.

I would never rule the smartphone out. No one is investing in dSLR tech anymore because even those who championed it for the last three decades believe it's a dead end. By contrast, hundreds of billions of dollars are being invested in R&D for smartphone cameras - cameras that drive (at least in part) cycle upon cycle of phone upgrades. And many of the technologies developed in the smartphone space could also be used in physically larger mirrorless sensors that share the same fundamental "always on, always receiving" functionality while also enjoying the benefit of much larger sensor/transistor real estate.

When one platform (dSLR) is being abandoned while another (smartphone) is subject to feverish investment of money and talent, it's easy to see why the latter might soon outperform the former notwithstanding what many might consider to be immutable "physical" constraints. Capital and human ingenuity are powerful things.

Jun 23, 2022 at 02:37 AM
1bwana1
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · It's Coming...

Sauseschritt wrote:

I mean I dont have the highest opinion of Sony in the first place.

But OH MY GOD this is so retarded, I cant believe it, not even from Sony.

Sure, mirrorless might kill DSLRs. Thats seems to be whats happening.

But ... SMARTPHONES ROTFL !!!

Those that scoff at such a statement from the leading source of imaging hardware and software will be as wrong as they were about mirrorless vs DSLR a few years ago. Such short sightedness almost cost Nikon their company recently and they are still paying catchup across their broader line offerings. True even as they rely more and more on Sony for their core technology. Not less.

The CEO of Sony Sensor Solutions probably has the best view into the future of imaging that exists in the World today. He likely knows stuff the rest hasn't seen yet. We do know that there are new sensor technologies using deeper stacking that provide huge increases in DR and lower noise. These technologies will find their way into Smartphones long before we see them in dedicated cameras.

Jun 23, 2022 at 04:34 AM
panos.v
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · It's Coming...

DSLRs are dead anyway.

As for mirrorless vs smartphone...if I was to shoot a scene in:
- good light
- 28mm-50mm range
- in a f/4-11 equivalent aperture
- print it max size 12x10

What exactly more would I get from mirrorless vs a smartphone? Yes yes I know what you'll get but just think for a minute how close it is and how smartphones are progressing vs mirrorless. Mirrorless will continue to exist in the future as a more and more niche for high-end professional applications and everyone else this side of a professional photographer will just use their phone or...a Leica M.

Jun 23, 2022 at 06:09 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · It's Coming...

1bwana1 wrote:
Those that scoff at such a statement from the leading source of imaging hardware and software will be as wrong as they were about mirrorless vs DSLR a few years ago.

I think the point is, if smartphones kill off DSLR, then they'll put mirrorless cameras in the same place, for the same reasons. If Sony is correct about what they say (and they might be), then to ignore the same effects on mirrorless is shortsighted, at best.

Also, Sony is 'a' leading source of imaging hardware and software, not 'the' leading source.

Jun 23, 2022 at 06:52 AM
retrofocus
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · It's Coming...

Digital has "killed" film in the early 2000s. Still film is used to this day and actually new sorts of film are released each year now. Smartphones "killed" the P&S camera sector a long time ago - and still we see decent sales for smaller micro 4/3rd and APS-C cameras. Mirrorless cameras gave a hit to the existing DSLR market - but DSLRs continue to be used and also sold.

Smartphones certainly found their place as simple and much improved camera tool for amateurs. But they will never replace fully the professional and semi-professional camera markets. I bet that we will continue to see DSLR bodies to be used in 10 years from now. It is now the much lower price for DSLR cameras and lenses which makes them very attractive for amateurs.

Jun 23, 2022 at 06:54 AM
dugaut
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · It's Coming...

I just bought a Samsung S22 Ultra just to keep tabs and see what all the fuss is about. It has four cameras, ultra wide, wide, telephoto (3x optical), super telephoto(10x optical.) I own an R5, Z9, A1 and lots of glass, third party and native for those cameras, so I'm comparing it against the best.

If you pixel peep the S22, game over. But if you just want to document your life, they can do the job fine, considering for most people images never leave the camera roll, and are viewed on small, brilliant screens.

I've mostly done only landscape type images while hiking. Portrait, macro, night mode, I can't say.

The 10x optical zoom is a leap forward in the sense it's presentable and viable. I don't think they are a *primary* tool for the advanced amateur/pro photographer, but the improvement since my Google Pixel 3 is significant.

The trajectory is there.

Jun 23, 2022 at 07:23 AM
1bwana1
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · It's Coming...

jcolwell wrote:
I think the point is, if smartphones kill off DSLR, then they'll put mirrorless cameras in the same place, for the same reasons. If Sony is correct about what they say (and they might be), then to ignore the same effects on mirrorless is shortsighted, at best.

Also, Sony is 'a' leading source of imaging hardware and software, not 'the' leading source.

Sony is by far the leader in imaging sensor hardware by a big margin.

Jun 23, 2022 at 08:02 AM
bjhurley
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · It's Coming...

retrofocus wrote:
Smartphones certainly found their place as simple and much improved camera tool for amateurs. But they will never replace fully the professional and semi-professional camera markets.

We can't say "never" because we don't know what new developments might be in store. But I do think there'll always be a market for mirrorless (not sure about DSLR) interchangeable lens cameras for a variety of reasons, including the ability to use actual vintage lenses (software will be able to emulate them of course, but some people will crave the real thing). Although I guess you can actually adapt some old lenses to smartphones now; I remember seeing a picture once.

Apart from the growing popularity of film cameras among people in their teens and 20s, there's also the growing popularity of vinyl (vastly outselling CDs now) and other supposedly dead technologies. Heck, I still record and listen to minidiscs, although not for anything crucial. There is a healthy market for Polaroid cameras now too. Whenever a tide shifts toward something new, there are always people attracted to older technologies in part because it's a way to help them stand out from the crowd. Your vision should be the main distinguishing factor between you and the thundering herd, but your chosen tools can make a difference too.

Jun 23, 2022 at 09:13 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Desmolicious
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · It's Coming...

I’m waiting for a camera that has a really good phone built in. That would kill off smartphones.

Jun 23, 2022 at 09:55 AM
atnpro
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · It's Coming...

To me no smartphones, even those Sony's phones with 1" sensor, can replace my Ricoh GR3, which gives me much better control and shooting experience.

Jun 23, 2022 at 12:34 PM
EltonTeng
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · It's Coming...

Smart phones killed off low-end DSLRs for the regular consumers long ago. I haven't seen moms with Canon Rebels and Nikon D3400 at school events in many years. The key word is "regular consumers."

Anyone recall that Canon Rebel TV commercial with the mom running up and down the sidelines at the football game with her digital Rebel camera?

Jun 23, 2022 at 01:02 PM
ftllens
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · It's Coming...

brands will push more and more for high end and handling features, but generally the IQ on common viewing displays will be indiscernible. there are some serious imaging advancements being deployed rn since just past 3 years of data being fed into AI stuff.

and the general public usually don't prioritize the technical quality vs. the moments and content itself.

they do and continue to evolve in their standards for processing though (stacked images for better noise, apps to adjust dof, even lighting on people etc.)

a lot of commercial work is using more and more stuff like unreal engine, eventually when meta-culture blooms, a lot of stuff with be mostly modeling using photos as supplements and not the other way around.

probably under 8 years the cameras we all like will be the same as leica cameras are viewed. for the experience, and nothing wrong with that. enjoy this golden transition age, it's something to be appreciated.

Jun 23, 2022 at 02:57 PM
andrewd01
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · It's Coming...

EltonTeng wrote:
Smart phones killed off low-end DSLRs for the regular consumers long ago. I haven't seen moms with Canon Rebels and Nikon D3400 at school events in many years. The key word is "regular consumers."

Anyone recall that Canon Rebel TV commercial with the mom running up and down the sidelines at the football game with her digital Rebel camera?

I always thought ‘Rebel’ was a bizarre marketing pitch for a cheap plastic DSLR. For me Rebel makes me think of a heavily tattooed outlaw motorcyclist, toting a sawn-off shotgun. I can’t imagine characters like this being interested in digital photography.

Jun 23, 2022 at 03:10 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · It's Coming...

All wedding photography will be shot by guests, too.

I've told my family for some time now that they can take better pics with their phone than I can with my rig. Mostly because they can get the shot before I pick up my bag. And the IQ is sufficient from the phone.

But, I may see things differently ... or approach things differently, with different gear. But, as handy recording devices, they have earned their keep ... and will continue to do so for many applications.

Folks who use cameras at all, do so for diff reasons of preference in application and tool. Pick your tool ... as it suits you ... even if it is a phone.

Jun 23, 2022 at 04:25 PM
atnpro
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · It's Coming...

a random shot on internet
iPhone 13 Pro
9mm f/2.8
1/121
ISO 200

source: https://www.flickr.com/photos/teknofilo/51873722851/in/dateposted/

Edited on Jun 23, 2022 at 04:50 PM · View previous versions

Jun 23, 2022 at 04:49 PM
RexGig0
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · It's Coming...

Cameras were invented almost 200 years ago, but, I can still drive to a local artists’ supply store, and buy paintbrushes.

I would rather create, than compute, regardless what the mass market does…

Jun 23, 2022 at 04:49 PM
tntcorp
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · It's Coming...

jcolwell wrote:

@jcolwell - your thought actually mirrored the content of the article. it's too bad the people immediately jumped on the headline bandwagon w/out actually reading the article.. headlines & herd mentality. ))

actual quote from the article.

"..according to Sony, "still images are expected to exceed ILC [interchangeable lens camera] image quality" sometime during 2024.

Those are two slightly different claims, with 'ILCs' also including today's mirrorless cameras, alongside the older DSLR tech that most camera manufacturers are now largely abandoning.."

Jun 23, 2022 at 05:06 PM
tntcorp
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · It's Coming...

a marketing ploy for its fledging lineup of cell phones?

Jun 23, 2022 at 05:08 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password