Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Petals ...

Kent Southers 2022

Jun 23, 2022 at 12:10 AM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Petals ...

I would crop away the top half. The contrast between the flowers and the stones are what makes this work. The top of the arch pulls away from that.

It is typical Kent dark but it works for this image.

Jun 23, 2022 at 05:38 AM
EverLearning
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Petals ...

Nice use of DOF and good PP to pull the eye to those two flowers. I too find that the arch pulls my eye away but it is because I am distracted by the arch touching the top of the frame. Perhaps adding (if you have it) a tiny bit to the top will make the arch less distracting.

Don

Jun 23, 2022 at 09:24 AM
grandmas
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Petals ...

Nice image, but the title is misleading. The title should be something that includes the whole image, maybe “Serenity.” Cropping, as has been suggested would make the image about the flowers. I like it both ways.

The flowers are focal points for the building in the back. I like that the focal points are placed in an interesting way, and does not give the image a rule of thirds look. They also pull the eyes away from the center, and is good. The image has nice visual balance.

Jun 23, 2022 at 12:45 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Petals ...

Camperjim wrote:
I would crop away the top half. The contrast between the flowers and the stones are what makes this work. The top of the arch pulls away from that.

It is typical Kent dark but it works for this image.

Interesting point, Jim. I'm a 4:3 more than a 3:2 ratio preference anyway. But, I didn't think to crop the arch. I guess the viewer would never know if it was cropped to where the sides were straight (no curve to indicate arch).

I do like the window offering some movement, but the arch does "point" out of the frame, rather than provide a stop line to return the viewer back into the comp. Food for thought.

Jun 23, 2022 at 07:11 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Petals ...

EverLearning wrote:
Nice use of DOF and good PP to pull the eye to those two flowers. I too find that the arch pulls my eye away but it is because I am distracted by the arch touching the top of the frame. Perhaps adding (if you have it) a tiny bit to the top will make the arch less distracting.

Don

Thanks Don.

Yeah, I didn't catch that I clipped the arch when squaring things up a bit. Although, it might be some of Jim's point above, too.

Jun 23, 2022 at 07:13 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Petals ...

grandmas wrote:
Nice image, but the title is misleading. The title should be something that includes the whole image, maybe “Serenity.” Cropping, as has been suggested would make the image about the flowers. I like it both ways.

The flowers are focal points for the building in the back. I like that the focal points are placed in an interesting way, and does not give the image a rule of thirds look. They also pull the eyes away from the center, and is good. The image has nice visual balance.

+1 for the title being "less than ideal". I was kinda playing on the phonetics of a different picture "Pedals" with "Petals".

Good to hear of the balance (asymmetrical).

Jun 23, 2022 at 07:15 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Petals ...

I returned to this and had the same preference only stronger. Look at only the top half of the image. Then look at the bottom half. IMO the bottom has 10x the interest. The top half adds nothing towards the contrast between the organic and the man made geometrical forms.

Jun 23, 2022 at 11:32 PM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Petals ...

I like the image as it is. If the inclusion of the arch is part of message you want to sent, so be it.
To my eyes what is more distracting is the left side wall being too "bright". May be darkening that side a bit would help.

Socrate

Jun 24, 2022 at 09:24 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password