New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Samyang 45 1.8 vs Sony 40 2.5

oakrrl

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Samyang 45 1.8 vs Sony 40 2.5

I just got the Sammy 45 for my A7iv. It's OK, and certainly great value for the price.

I wonder whether IQ would be better on the Sony compact lens. I've heard Sony 40 is sharper, but how much of a tradeoff between 1.8 and 2.5? And how does bokeh compare?

Anyone have both?

Jun 22, 2022 at 07:04 PM
leolab
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Samyang 45 1.8 vs Sony 40 2.5

Is your Samyang on the latest firmware? Others have complained of sharpness with this lens that has been improved with a FW install

Jun 22, 2022 at 07:43 PM
QuietOC
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Samyang 45 1.8 vs Sony 40 2.5

Here is a comparison at F2.8:

Jun 22, 2022 at 08:15 PM
TheEmfinger

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Samyang 45 1.8 vs Sony 40 2.5

QuietOC wrote:
Here is a comparison at F2.8:

Thanks for that comparison. In this shot, the Sigma has the smoothest bokeh, but it is already shooting wide open at 2.8. The Samyang has another 1 1/3 stops left. The Sony is a bit busy, and I think the Samyang is about in the middle, but closer to the Sigma. I own the Samyang, and have tried the sigma 45mm recently and the Sony 40mm when it released. All three are great lenses. I love the build of the Sony and Sigma, and the size of the Sony, but the Samyang for the money is a great value. I don't think you could go wrong with any of them, depending on what you are shooting. If the Sigma opened up to like f2, it would be a keeper for me. I am excited to see the rumored Sigma 50mm f2 i series lens.

Jun 22, 2022 at 09:37 PM
QuietOC
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Samyang 45 1.8 vs Sony 40 2.5

Yeah, the Samyang is more busy wide-open, but it gets cleaner stopped down. The Sony is worse and the Canon even worse. Note the shutter speed difference: the Sigma is consistently brighter than the others. The Sigma has a great brightness/depth-of-field tradeoff. Don't be too hasty to rule it out because of its "F2.8" maximum aperture.

The 40 G has least lateral CA. The Samyang has the most lateral CA.

Edited on Jun 23, 2022 at 08:18 AM · View previous versions

Jun 23, 2022 at 05:50 AM
fotografur
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Samyang 45 1.8 vs Sony 40 2.5

As much as the Sony 40 is nicer built, smaller and sharper there isn't a photo I seen with it that I liked.
The images with the other two I've seen always looked nicer. YMMV

Jun 23, 2022 at 06:14 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

TheEmfinger

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Samyang 45 1.8 vs Sony 40 2.5

QuietOC wrote:
Yeah, the Samyang is more busy wide-open, but it gets cleaner stopped down. The Sony is worse and the Canon even worse. Note the shutter speed difference: the Sigma is consistently brighter than the others. The Sigma has a great brightness/depth-of-field tradeoff. Don't be too hasty to rule it out because of its "F2.8" maximum aperture.

I saw that, but the Sigma is also clearly the darkest of this 4 shot photo. Is it wrong to guess that if the camera had metered it to the same brightness, the shutter speeds would be more in line with the others?

Jun 23, 2022 at 07:09 AM
chiron
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Samyang 45 1.8 vs Sony 40 2.5

TheEmfinger wrote:
Thanks for that comparison. In this shot, the Sigma has the smoothest bokeh, but it is already shooting wide open at 2.8. The Samyang has another 1 1/3 stops left. The Sony is a bit busy, and I think the Samyang is about in the middle, but closer to the Sigma. I own the Samyang, and have tried the sigma 45mm recently and the Sony 40mm when it released. All three are great lenses. I love the build of the Sony and Sigma, and the size of the Sony, but the Samyang for the money is a great value. I
...Show more

Keep in mind that the Sigma is regularly on sale for $259. It may be at that price now. It is one of the nicest-rendering lenses that I have seen and it is almost always on one of my cameras.

Jun 23, 2022 at 07:55 AM
JustShootMe
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Samyang 45 1.8 vs Sony 40 2.5

Samyang looks pretty sharp to me at the center anyway, I didn't add any sharpening in post

ILCE-7RM4A    SAMYANG AF 45mm F1.8 lens    45mm    f/1.8    1/1600s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

100% crop

ILCE-7RM4A    SAMYANG AF 45mm F1.8 lens    45mm    f/1.8    1/1600s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jun 23, 2022 at 08:42 AM
Tomservo

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Samyang 45 1.8 vs Sony 40 2.5

I've had the Samyang 45mm 1.8 for nearly two years and maybe mine's a very good copy because it is very sharp on my A7rIII's. Wide open the corners are not super sharp but they clear up quickly by 3.5 or 4.0. Also my copy has been very good at focusing accurately and quickly capturing a dancer outside doing flips and I have several shots of him in mid-air that are well focused. Frankly I was surprised how well it did in that case.

Jun 23, 2022 at 05:57 PM
Mister-Mr
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Samyang 45 1.8 vs Sony 40 2.5

I have both.. At least for now ...

I enjoy using the ( manual focus and aperture ring ) on the Sony, but honestly, the Samyang holds it's own - overall - and for the price, it is a nice value.

1.8 vs 2.5 ,Yes, that is a tradeoff. Shooting indoors, you may appreciate the Samyang more.

Bokeh comparison? That's so subjective so I'll say that I haven't notice any 'flaws' but I'm not that critical.. I'm happy with what each lens produces..

I'll leave it at that since you seem to be interested in 'IQ' and maybe not other differences...
If you are not happy with the Samyang , then the 40G may also disappoint.

Maybe your expectations are unreasonable ? Can you can quantify what you think you are missing. ?

oakrrl wrote:
I just got the Sammy 45 for my A7iv. It's OK, and certainly great value for the price.

I wonder whether IQ would be better on the Sony compact lens. I've heard Sony 40 is sharper, but how much of a tradeoff between 1.8 and 2.5? And how does bokeh compare?

Anyone have both?

Jun 23, 2022 at 09:04 PM
Dave Sanders
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Samyang 45 1.8 vs Sony 40 2.5

TheEmfinger wrote:
Thanks for that comparison. In this shot, the Sigma has the smoothest bokeh, but it is already shooting wide open at 2.8. The Samyang has another 1 1/3 stops left. The Sony is a bit busy, and I think the Samyang is about in the middle, but closer to the Sigma. I own the Samyang, and have tried the sigma 45mm recently and the Sony 40mm when it released. All three are great lenses. I love the build of the Sony and Sigma, and the size of the Sony, but the Samyang for the money is a great value. I
...Show more

This is the correct take...tough to go wrong with any of them. I have the Sigma 45 because once sharpness is kind of 'off the table', my priorities are rendering, an aperture ring and build/handling. I think all three of these lenses (and the Zony 55/1.8) are sharp enough for my purposes, so the superlative rendering and built of the Sigma won out for me. I do miss having the a faster lens with more ability to isolate, and to that end I'm looking at the Sigma 65 (and the 85 Art, dammit).

If I wanted something small and light to knock about, I'd look at the Samyang...it looks like its bokeh is the closest to the Sigma 45. Indeed, a Samyang kit consisting of the 24/45/75 f/1.8 is small, light and very capable; almost the ultimate 'knockabout' kit.

Jun 24, 2022 at 01:17 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password