Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

AI Servo/Tracking/Shutter help

PPITH
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · AI Servo/Tracking/Shutter help

I have a canon 7DII with 70-200/2.8 IS II. I have the * button set to Metering/AF Start. The shutter button half press is set to Metering Start.

I primarily shoot HS age sports in AI Servo with the Drive Mode set to High Speed Continuous. Mostly 1/2000-1/3200 f/2.8-4.0.

I'm having a lot of trouble with only getting 1-2 images in focus in a sequence.

Would anybody be willing to tell me if I have my settings are correct or offer advice on a technique to get more consistent shots in focus?

Jun 22, 2022 at 06:01 PM
JohnSil
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · AI Servo/Tracking/Shutter help

PP, I think you're suffering from the same things we all suffer from, a camera is a camera. I found the 7ll to be pretty good but not much different than what you describe. IF you don't have to have HS continuous, I found it almost better to use a full press and press as fast as you needed. I changed case #'s around but they seemed pretty much similar. The only one I never tried was the one where it focused on the 2nd frame rather than the first but that one sounds interesting though you might waste the first frame but that would be better than wasting all but the first two.
For perspective I moved on to the 1Dx and then 1Dxll. Each got a little better but only slightly. I think it's just a by product of DSLR. ML is better but not perfect either!
I'd try to use a single press and see if reacquiring focus grab on each frame is any different.
I also gave up on any BB assignments as it's so slow and you loose all dexterity if you have even thin hand protection in inclement weather.
I never found any magic bullets but for sure each bullet has a little more magic! Good luck, John

Jun 22, 2022 at 09:04 PM
cocodrillo
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · AI Servo/Tracking/Shutter help

JohnSil wrote:
PP, I think you're suffering from the same things we all suffer from, a camera is a camera.

If I may pile on to this explanation, that's likely what it is. I've moved through the 1Dx3 and the R3 and get the same thing. Not everything is perfect or in focus.

An idea/reminder: Next event pay particular attention to how well you're keeping the focus point on the subject. Are you putting it on something high in contrast? Is it drifting off, staying consistently on subject? I've found in the past that sometimes I'm assuming a bit too much about the focus point being on target -- this is actually something I'm getting lazier with using the R3.

At any rate, one of the reasons I switched to the mirrorless is the ability of the cameras to get vastly more images in focus, but they do still miss, particularly when I make a mistake starting off the sequence.

Jun 22, 2022 at 09:51 PM
Ironhorse
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · AI Servo/Tracking/Shutter help

As silly as this may sound, make sure you are not hitting the focus ring with your hand and interfering with the autofocus. I found myself doing just that with my Nikon D4 and 70-200 2.8/VR 1 at Westminster earlier this week.

Jun 23, 2022 at 05:46 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password