Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       3       end
  

Next Sony APS-C Camera?

  
 
Iguana829
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Next Sony APS-C Camera?


When is the next Sony APS-C Camera coming out?

Canon is putting the beatdown on Sony with the R7.

4k60 uncropped, 7k footage downsampled, larger battery, extremely high end autofocus/processor, IBIS, 10 bit 4:2:2 C-Log, etc.

It is kind of embarrassing the R7 is only what, a hundred bucks more than the A6600?

It is sad. Because Canon has no lenses and Sony has no bodies.

Why did sony release THREE new APS-C Lenses (one of which, the 15 1.4G looks REALLY good, especially for video as there is ZERO focus breathing), with NO bodies.

Your options are to throw it on the "2021" ZVe10 (2016 A6300 tech with a mic and flippy screen, slightly better autofocus algorithm)

2018 A6400 (2016 tech, better autofocus algorithm than the a6300/ 4k downsampled 6k video because better processor than a6300, that's about it).

2019 A6600 (Again, 2016 tech with better battery life/IBIS/autofocus)

Those options all suck.

Where is the 4k120, 10 bit Log Recording, Cinetone, better menu system from A7SIII/A7IV, etc. Even if it cost 1.5-2k. Their APSC Bodies are old news.

I don't' want a new ZV1 with a stupid non changeable lens that is being rumored. I want a new A6600/6400 to combat the R7/R10 because Sony's lense options are

SO.

MUCH.

BETTER.

Thoughts?





Jun 22, 2022 at 02:54 PM
chez
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Next Sony APS-C Camera?


Why does it have to “combat the R7? “. What is it about the A6600 that is stopping you from getting great images. I’ve seen some fabulous images posted here taken with Sony aps-c cameras.


Jun 22, 2022 at 03:14 PM
Iguana829
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Next Sony APS-C Camera?


chez wrote:
Why does it have to “combat the R7? “. What is it about the A6600 that is stopping you from getting great images. I’ve seen some fabulous images posted here taken with Sony aps-c cameras.


It's mostly just video specs. The 6600 DOES take fantastic images. But 4k30 8 bit bad menu system is not very 2022 for video specs is it?

The R7 is embarrassingly better, and this is coming from a sony shooter.



Jun 22, 2022 at 03:17 PM
chez
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Next Sony APS-C Camera?


Iguana829 wrote:
It's mostly just video specs. The 6600 DOES take fantastic images. But 4k30 8 bit bad menu system is not very 2022 for video specs is it?

The R7 is embarrassingly better, and this is coming from a sony shooter.


You take a lot of video? Maybe Sony's vlogger camera is more suited.



Jun 22, 2022 at 03:31 PM
Uncle Chip
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Next Sony APS-C Camera?


In my humble opinion the new lenses are a precursor to a new body, and these are not low budget lenses, so Sony clearly are going to continue the APSC line,

I think they will rise to canons challenge, that said the 6600 is no slouch



Jun 22, 2022 at 03:45 PM
jeffbuzz
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Next Sony APS-C Camera?


Sony has taken a very different path with their APS-C bodies compared to Canon past and present. Canon offered high powered APS-C bodies like the 7D where the body size and design was little different than the larger sensor models like the 5D. Sony's APS-C line has been totally separate from the a7/a9 full frame line-up. Their priority has been on compact size at the expense of ergonomics and features. Of course, the a6600 gave up very little compared to the a7M3.

There is no longer a strong market incentive to build full size bodies with small sensors. 20 years ago the sensor was the most expensive component in a camera. That's no longer the case. Canon seems to be pursuing an old strategy with the R7 design. I'm not sure why you'd want an APS-C R7 when you can get a full frame R6 in essentially the size size package.




Jun 22, 2022 at 06:06 PM
chez
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Next Sony APS-C Camera?


jeffbuzz wrote:
Sony has taken a very different path with their APS-C bodies compared to Canon past and present. Canon offered high powered APS-C bodies like the 7D where the body size and design was little different than the larger sensor models like the 5D. Sony's APS-C line has been totally separate from the a7/a9 full frame line-up. Their priority has been on compact size at the expense of ergonomics and features. Of course, the a6600 gave up very little compared to the a7M3.

There is no longer a strong market incentive to build full size bodies with small sensors. 20 years ago
...Show more

The only reason I got the A6000 was for it’s minuscule size. Makes for a great backup camera and it’s so small, just gets lost in my pack. If the aps-c cameras were the same size as the full frame, I would not have the aps-c.



Jun 22, 2022 at 06:28 PM
genjy
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Next Sony APS-C Camera?


Yeah, I have a A7 and a A7R3 with a bunch of fast FF lenses. I bought a Fuji X-T4 last year though because the A6600 doesn't do intra 10-bit.

I really like the X-T4, but I would still want to get a new gen Sony crop body for my FF lenses--only if the camera has good video specs.

Iguana829 wrote:
It's mostly just video specs. The 6600 DOES take fantastic images. But 4k30 8 bit bad menu system is not very 2022 for video specs is it?

The R7 is embarrassingly better, and this is coming from a sony shooter.




Jun 22, 2022 at 06:58 PM
Dexter75
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Next Sony APS-C Camera?


jeffbuzz wrote:
I'm not sure why you'd want an APS-C R7 when you can get a full frame R6 in essentially the size size package.


Ask sports and wildlife shooters..

The R7 is going to sell, and sell a lot. Especially at its price point.



Jun 22, 2022 at 07:19 PM
itai195
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Next Sony APS-C Camera?


I love my A6600 and I have an APS-C kit that's very capable and a lot smaller than my FF kit. I would not buy a larger APS-C camera.

That said, I'm sure Sony will respond with new APS-C bodies at some point. Hopefully we'll continue to get small and capable cameras, with a few ergonomic improvements (a second dial and a focus joystick, please!).



Jun 22, 2022 at 07:43 PM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

Choderboy
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Next Sony APS-C Camera?


jeffbuzz wrote:
Sony has taken a very different path with their APS-C bodies compared to Canon past and present. Canon offered high powered APS-C bodies like the 7D where the body size and design was little different than the larger sensor models like the 5D. Sony's APS-C line has been totally separate from the a7/a9 full frame line-up. Their priority has been on compact size at the expense of ergonomics and features. Of course, the a6600 gave up very little compared to the a7M3.

There is no longer a strong market incentive to build full size bodies with small sensors. 20 years ago
...Show more

It's very simple.
The R7 is cheaper and gives you 32.5mp vs the R6 7.8mp. (After you crop the R6 1.6)
The R5 is much more expensive and gives you 17mp.

If you want 'reach' or 'pixels on target' the R7 will be king.
You can then use RF100-400, RF 100-500, EF 100-400 II, Sigma or Tamron 150-600 or either of the f11 RF 600 or 800.

All are a small fraction of the cost of a full frame lens with the same FOV that you'd need on the more expensive R6.

Unless there is a nasty surprise that reviewers have not uncovered, the R7 will sell in huge numbers. It's not an old strategy, it's what many people have been asking for. Sony users have wanted since the A9 release in 2017. If Sony does not follow this strategy, Canon will be very happy.





Jun 23, 2022 at 01:42 AM
Iguana829
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Next Sony APS-C Camera?


itai195 wrote:
I love my A6600 and I have an APS-C kit that's very capable and a lot smaller than my FF kit. I would not buy a larger APS-C camera.

That said, I'm sure Sony will respond with new APS-C bodies at some point. Hopefully we'll continue to get small and capable cameras, with a few ergonomic improvements (a second dial and a focus joystick, please!).


I hope so. Sony's APS-C Cameras are horrifically outdated, especially for video



Jun 23, 2022 at 08:48 AM
Steve Spencer
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Next Sony APS-C Camera?


Iguana829 wrote:
I hope so. Sony's APS-C Cameras are horrifically outdated, especially for video


For video Sony wants you to buy the A7s III or one of their video cameras. I don't expect them ever to make top level video a feature of their APS-C cameras. The big question is whether the new Sony APS-C camera has a stacked sensor with very high sensor scan speed. If it does, then that camera should be a lot more capable than the R7 for AF and especially so with an electronic shutter. It should also have a genuinely black out free EVF for a much better viewfinder experience. I expect that even in such a camera that has a sensor very capable for video, it won't quite match the R7 video specs. Sony might make a video camera with this sensor, however, that would be super capable and they might even make the sensor just big enough for Super 35 lenses. That to me would be a phenomenal for video, but, IMO, just don't expect something like that in an a6XXX, a7XXX, or even a9XXX line from Sony.



Jun 23, 2022 at 09:23 AM
jeffbuzz
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Next Sony APS-C Camera?


Choderboy wrote:
It's very simple.
The R7 is cheaper and gives you 32.5mp vs the R6 7.8mp. (After you crop the R6 1.6)
The R5 is much more expensive and gives you 17mp.

If you want 'reach' or 'pixels on target' the R7 will be king.
You can then use RF100-400, RF 100-500, EF 100-400 II, Sigma or Tamron 150-600 or either of the f11 RF 600 or 800.

All are a small fraction of the cost of a full frame lens with the same FOV that you'd need on the more expensive R6.

Unless there is a nasty surprise that reviewers have not uncovered, the R7
...Show more

Using small sensors for "reach" with full frame lenses is a false economy. You save money on the camera but pay more for a larger, heavier lens than is needed to cover the image area of the sensor. m43 and APS-C cameras make sense in combination with appropriate lenses optimized for the sensor resolution and size.

I bought an a6600 specifically to use the little Sigma 18-50mm DC DN which is a wonderfully tiny combination.



Jun 23, 2022 at 11:30 AM
chiron
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Next Sony APS-C Camera?


Iguana829 wrote:
When is the next Sony APS-C Camera coming out?

Canon is putting the beatdown on Sony with the R7.

4k60 uncropped, 7k footage downsampled, larger battery, extremely high end autofocus/processor, IBIS, 10 bit 4:2:2 C-Log, etc.

It is kind of embarrassing the R7 is only what, a hundred bucks more than the A6600?

It is sad. Because Canon has no lenses and Sony has no bodies.

Why did sony release THREE new APS-C Lenses (one of which, the 15 1.4G looks REALLY good, especially for video as there is ZERO focus breathing), with NO bodies.

Your options are to throw it on
...Show more

Why buy an aps-c when the A7C is the same size but is full frame? There are a lot of small FF lenses out there now, many more than will exist for aps-c.



Jun 23, 2022 at 11:33 AM
A.Y.
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Next Sony APS-C Camera?


Sony A6400 (2019) and A6600 (2020) have been out of stock for months now even though A6400 production has resumed!

Personally, I will purchase another Sony only if the new APS-C camera has:
• 4K60p video
• EVF - so no ZV-EXX vlogging camera
• Updated Animal Eye AF
• Small & lightweight like the current A6XXX line

----------------------------------------

Wildlife Photography - FF vs. APS-C = 2X cost 2.4X weight:
• Sony A7C + Tamron 150-500mm = $3,197, 2,389g (5lb 4oz)
• Sony A6100 + 70-350mm (105-525mm FF) = $1,646, 1,021g (2lb 4oz)
• the 24MP A7C Crop Mode = 10MP resolution vs. 24MP A6100
• FF 57MP = Crop Mode 24MP






A6000/70-350mm = small and lightweight and can deliver shots like this!



Jun 23, 2022 at 12:40 PM
itai195
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Next Sony APS-C Camera?


chiron wrote:
Why buy an aps-c when the A7C is the same size but is full frame? There are a lot of small FF lenses out there now, many more than will exist for aps-c.


The A7C body is a train wreck, IMO.

There are some small FF lenses that approach APS-C size, but it's nowhere near the same selection.



Jun 23, 2022 at 01:02 PM
jbegis
Offline

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Next Sony APS-C Camera?


Jeffbuzz wrote:
Using small sensors for "reach" with full frame lenses is a false economy. You save money on the camera but pay more for a larger, heavier lens than is needed to cover the image area of the sensor. m43 and APS-C cameras make sense in combination with appropriate lenses optimized for the sensor resolution and size.


This is more true for landscape photography when using wide angle lenses and you need a large FOV.

For sports/wildlife photography (the crowd that most wants a high end APS-C) you don't need a more expensive lens due to the cropped body.

The difficult part of the optical design for a super telephoto is the aperture, not the FOV. If you look at the design MTF curves of a wide angle lenses, the performance degrades at the corners while this isn't the case for telephoto primes. They would never develop a prime supertelephoto for a cropped body.

A wildlife/action photographer could definitely save $$ on the cropped sensor - getting smaller pixels while using the same lens.



Jun 23, 2022 at 01:33 PM
chez
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Next Sony APS-C Camera?


A.Y. wrote:
Sony A6400 (2019) and A6600 (2020) have been out of stock for months now even though A6400 production has resumed!

Personally, I will purchase another Sony only if the new APS-C camera has:
• 4K60p video
• EVF - so no ZV-EXX vlogging camera
• Updated Animal Eye AF
• Small & lightweight like the current A6XXX line

----------------------------------------

Wildlife Photography - FF vs. APS-C = 2X cost 2.4X weight:
• Sony A7C + Tamron 150-500mm = $3,197, 2,389g (5lb 4oz)
• Sony A6100 + 70-350mm (105-525mm FF) = $1,646, 1,021g (2lb 4oz)
• the 24MP A7C Crop Mode = 10MP resolution vs. 24MP A6100
• FF 57MP = Crop Mode
...Show more

Just checked Amazon and the A6600 is no. 11 and A6400 no. 12 on the top selling mirrorless list which is updated hourly. Not too bad for such out dated cameras.



Jun 23, 2022 at 02:23 PM
chez
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Next Sony APS-C Camera?


itai195 wrote:
The A7C body is a train wreck, IMO.

There are some small FF lenses that approach APS-C size, but it's nowhere near the same selection.


In your opinion, what makes the A7c such a train wreck? It appears to be selling very well.



Jun 23, 2022 at 02:25 PM
1
       2       3       end






FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       3       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password