1       2      
       4              16       17       end

Canon R7 image threadů

rscheffler
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Canon R7 image threadů

Tom Reynolds wrote:
The rolling shutter examples are disheartening but I rarely shoot at low shutter speed when I would use 30 f/s.

If I understand the nature of rolling shutter correctly, it is a separate problem from low shutter speeds. It will be similarly noticeable at high shutter speeds because the sensor readout speed remains constant (relatively slow in the case of the R7).

Jun 26, 2022 at 09:31 AM
Tom_W
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Canon R7 image threadů

So I understand, rolling shutter is not an issue with mechanical or E-first curtain, correct? I really don't use full E-shutter on my R5.

Jun 26, 2022 at 09:46 AM
AvianScott
• • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Canon R7 image threadů

Alex Phan, who seems to test every new body and lens available in real-world situations, is disappointed with the R7 AF. From his FB post:

"Canon R7: (thumbs down emote)

First impression is : "not that great". EVF lagging while panning. AF dropped. Struggle with subject acquisition in low contrast. And who come up with the control wheel designed at a very awkward position.

Focus at stationary is excellent. Out of 20 frame during BIF, half is miss focus or drop for no reason.

Sample coming later."

Seems disappointing but who knows how well he has configured the AF system. He seems to be a well-versed photog with most modern AF systems use error may not be the case.

Jun 26, 2022 at 09:55 AM
Vince Maidens
• •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Canon R7 image threadů

AvianScott wrote:
Alex Phan, who seems to test every new body and lens available in real-world situations, is disappointed with the R7 AF. From his FB post:

First impression is : "not that great". EVF lagging while panning. AF dropped. Struggle with subject acquisition in low contrast. And who come up with the control wheel designed at a very awkward position.

Focus at stationary is excellent. Out of 20 frame during BIF, half is miss focus or drop for no reason.

Sample coming later."

Seems disappointing but who knows how well he has configured the AF system. He seems to
...Show more

No idea what he's setup but it's pretty much cracking for acquisition, I have it setup nearly like an R3 minus the 3 back button focus as it's not seeming to be an option yet. I do agree with the control wheel, it feels like Canon did it to specifically thwart R5/R6 users from picking one up, it throws off all the muscle memory I have.

That said I can pick up 1DX and feel right at home instantly and i've barely touched one in 2 years, still this is going to take some getting used to as nothing is where it should be.

Jun 26, 2022 at 10:01 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Canon R7 image threadů

TeamSpeed wrote:
All Rf canon mirrorless only have raw and craw, no smaller resolution raw options.

Duh, no kidding. Did you miss my

Jun 26, 2022 at 10:09 AM
Uarctos
• •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Canon R7 image threadů

He is using the R7 with the RF600mm f4, and saying that he has a lot of ''crappy'' images. He''ll post images.

Jun 26, 2022 at 10:10 AM
jedibrain
• • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Canon R7 image threadů

Tom_W wrote:
So I understand, rolling shutter is not an issue with mechanical or E-first curtain, correct? I really don't use full E-shutter on my R5.

Correct. Only an issue in the full E Shutter.

Jun 26, 2022 at 10:10 AM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Canon R7 image threadů

Tom_W wrote:

Correct because the mechanical shutter moves across the sensor at roughly 1/250 second, which is similar speed to current stacked sensor scan/readout times, and effectively minimizes rolling shutter effects. EFCS can cause some bokeh truncation at higher shutter speeds (roughly shorter than 1/500). EFCS at high/short shutter speeds with adapted lenses can result in uneven exposure effects.

Jun 26, 2022 at 10:14 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Canon R7 image threadů

Tom_W wrote:

Right. Google "rolling shutter". It has been around on nearly every camera with electronic shutter for years.

In many cases it is only a noticeable problem on a few shots out of a burst. If it is a problem with the subject you are shooting, you just use mechanical shutter, or buy an A1.

Jun 26, 2022 at 10:15 AM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Canon R7 image threadů

Imagemaster wrote:
buy an A1.

Or R3, Z9, or a9/a9II. Or whatever else has a stacked sensor design from Fuji, the brand formerly known as Olympus, etc.

Jun 26, 2022 at 10:17 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Canon R7 image threadů

AvianScott wrote:

Sample coming later."

Seems disappointing but who knows how well he has configured the AF system. He seems to
...Show more

One should also take into account that someone using more expensive and better gear is going to find less expensive gear that they are not even familiar with yet is probably going to make negative comments.

Then there is someone else who is not even familiar with Canon bodies complaining about the R7 and does not even know how to use it properly yet.

Jun 26, 2022 at 10:21 AM
Tom Reynolds
• •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Canon R7 image threadů

Thoughts:
1) Somebody shooting a 600 F/4 on a Nikon Z-9 will be disappointed with my Nikon D-500/500pf the the pictures it takes are just great by me.
2) What B is IF when 1/2 the shots are OOF? I can keep a large bird centered within the GRP AF on my Nikon DSLR. I have some luck with Seagulls but no chance with a Redwing Blackbird much less something really small and fast.
3) Actually, I like that rear wheel that changes the exposure compensation with just a flick of the thumb.
4) How rolling shutter affects pre-capture on the R7 is key for me. How many of those 15 pre-shots are good will make all the difference in the world. Otherwise 15f/s mechanical is OK for me even if it sounds like a Nikon.

Tom

Jun 26, 2022 at 11:05 AM
Jesse Evans
• • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Canon R7 image threadů

Ah, a Canon image thread, where instead of images we get brand wars.

Jun 26, 2022 at 11:18 AM
artsupreme
• • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Canon R7 image threadů

KINGOFKNGS wrote:
On electronic shutter bursts, if you look at several photos in a row, there is notable distortion where some parts of the image seem stretched and/or others seem compressed. It's not enough that you would think any single photo looked abnormal, but if you looked at several back to back you might notice the variance. It was most notable when I was looking in Lightroom and rapidly scrolling through photos by holding one of the arrow keys down.

The same goes for the R5. I shoot mostly in E-shutter and not only is there a problem with rolling shutter but I also believe the IS causing some distortion as well. Shoot a fixed scene with no camera movement and the photos get some serious distortion sometimes from frame to frame, as if you are taking the skew tool and completely bending them from side to side.

It rarely causes problems with the final image because there will be another frame that's not distorted, or the distortion isn't noticeable enough unless you are comparing frames side by side.

Jun 26, 2022 at 11:35 AM
KINGOFKNGS
• • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Canon R7 image threadů

This seems to be a lot more obvious on the R7. I've shot several hundred thousand photos with the R5 and haven't noticed it before, at least not to this extent.

artsupreme wrote:
The same goes for the R5. I shoot mostly in E-shutter and not only is there a problem with rolling shutter but I also believe the IS causing some distortion as well. Shoot a fixed scene with no camera movement and the photos get some serious distortion sometimes from frame to frame, as if you are taking the skew tool and completely bending them from side to side.

It rarely causes problems with the final image because there will be another frame that's not distorted, or the distortion isn't noticeable enough unless you are comparing frames side by side.

Jun 26, 2022 at 11:41 AM
Tom Reynolds
• •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Canon R7 image threadů

I am not here for "Brand Wars". I am here for a legitimate purpose, specifically to find out information about the Canon R7 with a 100-500 lens. I intend to replace my current Nikon gear with either a Canon or OM Systems rig.

If a "brand war" exists, it will be because I will choose between the R7 and another, non-Nikon brand. I will have real-world, side by side tests of my current Nikon rig and the OM Systems rig that I am contemplating. Later, I will have the same side by side tests that will include the R7.

For some this will be impotent info. Just where should I post it and not be accused of "brand wars"?

Tom

Jun 26, 2022 at 11:54 AM
Uarctos
• •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Canon R7 image threadů

C'mon guys, where are the pictures?

Jun 26, 2022 at 12:18 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Canon R7 image threadů

Anyone shooting mostly BIF should only look at the R3, Z9 or A1. Even the A9 II is not as good as the A1. The R7 at about 1/4 of the price of these cameras surely cannot be expected to perform at the same level. I would be happy if the R7 AF is ôonlyö as good as the R5/R6.

Imagemaster wrote:
One should also take into account that someone using more expensive and better gear is going to find less expensive gear that they are not even familiar with yet is probably going to make negative comments.

Then there is someone else who is not even familiar with Canon bodies complaining about the R7 and does not even know how to use it properly yet.

Jun 26, 2022 at 01:23 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Canon R7 image threadů

Perhaps the Canon R7 and/or m43 gear thread? This is an image thread.

Tom Reynolds wrote:
I am not here for "Brand Wars". I am here for a legitimate purpose, specifically to find out information about the Canon R7 with a 100-500 lens. I intend to replace my current Nikon gear with either a Canon or OM Systems rig.

If a "brand war" exists, it will be because I will choose between the R7 and another, non-Nikon brand. I will have real-world, side by side tests of my current Nikon rig and the OM Systems rig that I am contemplating. Later, I will have the same side by side tests that will include the R7.

For
...Show more

Jun 26, 2022 at 01:31 PM
Tom_W
• • • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Canon R7 image threadů

Imagemaster wrote:
buy an A1.

I have an A1, but it uses film and FD lenses.

Jun 26, 2022 at 01:31 PM
1       2      

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password