New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3              16       17       end

Canon R7 image thread…

riokid
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Canon R7 image thread…

Just one from today

EXIF intact. Cropped from full frame to 4512 x3272 then resized to 1200 x 870

Canon EOS R7    RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM lens    472mm    f/8.0    1/200s    1600 ISO    +0.3 EV  

Jun 25, 2022 at 06:57 PM
KINGOFKNGS
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Canon R7 image thread…

It seems to be a little less quick to acquire focus and a little less consistent in maintaining focus compared to the R3. The 100-500 seemed to engage image stabilization a bit more slowly than I recall with other bodies. I didn't do any back to back shooting today. I think these differences are probably as expected with a camera 1/4 the price of the R3.

The files really seem to be pretty nice so far. I've only shot up to about ISO1600 at this point. I did a few test shots up to 6400 but really haven't had any chance to look through anything.

On electronic shutter bursts, if you look at several photos in a row, there is notable distortion where some parts of the image seem stretched and/or others seem compressed. It's not enough that you would think any single photo looked abnormal, but if you looked at several back to back you might notice the variance. It was most notable when I was looking in Lightroom and rapidly scrolling through photos by holding one of the arrow keys down.

I shot about 4,000 photos today over about 6 hours. I had 3/4 bars left on the battery. Many were bursts.
bobbytan wrote:
What are your initial impressions of the R7?

Jun 25, 2022 at 07:20 PM
riokid
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Canon R7 image thread…

Here is another one. Taken at my backyard. I was able to get real close (maybe 15 feet).

Canon EOS R7    EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM lens    227mm    f/5.6    1/8000s    3200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jun 25, 2022 at 08:32 PM
Bsmooth
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Canon R7 image thread…

Wish I had your backyard !

Jun 25, 2022 at 08:49 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Canon R7 image thread…

KINGOFKNGS wrote:
Here are two shots from the Cincinnati Zoo today. Both shot with the RF 100-500. The Gibbon was shot at ISO1600, 1/500, f/7.1, and the Inca Tern at ISO 1600, 1/125, f/7.1. Both went through some minor adjustments in Lightroom, Topaz noise reduction (the Tern came out with a funky background, will need to redo it), and then minor sharpening again back in Lightroom. The tern was indoors in poor light. The Gibbon was in the shade in very late morning sun.

Only two impressive shots I have seen so far. Others may be result of no PP or poor PP.

Jun 25, 2022 at 08:52 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Canon R7 image thread…

Nice! Your first impressions Dan, and how is it compared to the R5?

riokid wrote:
Just one from today

EXIF intact. Cropped from full frame to 4512 x3272 then resized to 1200 x 870

Edited on Jun 25, 2022 at 11:53 PM · View previous versions

Jun 25, 2022 at 09:39 PM
Tom Reynolds
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Canon R7 image thread…

I admit, those pictures don't move me compared to my Nikon D-500/500pf. My R-7/100-500 shows up next week and I hoped better IQ.

Tom

Jun 25, 2022 at 11:53 PM
duncang
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Canon R7 image thread…

Well this is funny, although not so much for those on the backorders list - I just happened to be walking past a TED's Camera store (here in Melbourne Australia) and thought I would walk in and see what the R7 situation was. Cut a long story short I walked out with an R7 body and a RF100-400.

It was just sitting there waiting to be purchased. Lol!

It seems they got a total of 3 R7's (and this is in a big shopping mall). 2 were kits and were pre-ordered and one was a body only and not was not pre-ordered and had been there for a couple of days.

The R7 is nicely built and quite large compared to the a6400, as is the 100-400 compared to the 70-350. Ergonomics much better obviously.

Weight is 200gm heavier at 1265gm vs 1088gm.

I'll give it 110% for build quality and ergonomics but the a6400/70-350 fits in my coat pocket and the R7/100-400 is not going to do that.

Bird eye af is there but whether it is any better than the a6400 with no bird eye af remains to be seen. It seems to lose the eye for no reason and jump onto the background. Rather annoying to try and get it back then.

Burst mode is nice and pre-captures images - unfortunately the images were blurry because I had to use a slow shutter speed in the low light.

It is also a bit weird as the RAW files are all together in one file and individual files can’t easily be accessed it seems. 1st world problem.

EVF may be better than the a6400 though, less blackout and lag perhaps. Hard to tell at the moment.

Image quality - hmm nothing to write home about at this point - just another aps-c sensor.

Samples below. A6400 processed with DxO PL5 and R7 with DPP + Topaz DN AI

A6400 vs R7 (sorry about the pathetic subject)

RAW File Download
https://duncangroenewald.com/img/tests/R7-a6400/DG7_20220626_3_0654.CR3

Focus on the tip of the fruit slice before it got stolen by the birds

RAW File Download
https://duncangroenewald.com/img/tests/R7-a6400/DG7_20220626_2_0644.CR3

Details looks good but f/8 is pretty damn dark - better lens required.
Some birds

DPP Only

DPP + Topaz Denoise AI

RAW File Download
https://duncangroenewald.com/img/tests/R7-a6400/DG7_20220626_3_0667.CR3

Nice detail in this last one - just holds up when cropped 16x9 and displayed on a 5K monitor. Obviously the light is poor so nothing was going to look particularly good except with a f/2.8 lens perhaps.

A6400

Still holds up well enough agains the a6400 at first glance - which was not what my initial impression was.

Detail is better - noise maybe not so much - at least that is my impression.

Animal Eye AF

Hit and miss with a lot of misses it seems, still it seems to pick up the birds eyes quite well but I am not convinced the a6400 does not still beat it easily in the focus accuracy on final images. More testing so don’t quote me.

One of at least 6 images where it completely missed the eyes.

Got there in the end but also hit and miss from the side

Macro

Not too exciting and a bit flat compared to actual color

Topaz Denoise

Conclusion

Nice camera/ergonomics

Confusing autofocus system and customisation compared to Sony

Images - nothing spectacular - but ok for a mirrorless aps-c. Stick with your D500/500PF imo.

Autofocus - hopefully it will be at least as good as the a6400.

Eye AF - well it picks up birds but not sure it will work well when you need it most e.g. behind branches etc.

Jun 26, 2022 at 12:29 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Canon R7 image thread…

duncang wrote:
Stick with your D500/500PF imo.

Right, if you want to stick with a noisy machine-gun and $3,300 lens.

Jun 26, 2022 at 12:52 AM
duncang
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Canon R7 image thread…

A couple more.

A6400

R7

Jun 26, 2022 at 01:02 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

duncang
• •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Canon R7 image thread…

Can anyone explain how I can program two separate back autofocus buttons - one with Wide Area and the other with a small square with with tracking.

It is unclear to me how to assign a AF-ON + Wide Area to one button and AF-ON + Flexible Zone to a different button, if this is indeed even possible.

And what is RAW Burst Mode - how is this different from H+. Seems that pre-shooting is only available in this mode.

BTW I just managed to test the EVF with some longer tracking of birds and there seems to be little or no blackout or lag - seems to be how I recall the R5 was.

I did set the view finder display to smooth with suppress lower frame rate on. Probably chew up the battery now.

Unfortunately it was very dark so images will be unusable and I couldn't shoot the a6400 back to back but I am pretty sure it blows the a6400 away in this regard.

That is a huge big PLUS for the R7.

Jun 26, 2022 at 02:56 AM
duncang
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Canon R7 image thread…

And here is some severe rolling shutter but on a positive not it grabbed focus pretty quickly on this bird in shocking light - I only saw the bird at the last second and didn’t think it had acquired focus but it had. In that light I wouldn’t expect anything to be usable so this is just an example of rolling shutter.

And some more rather interesting rolling shutter - some of it is just slow shutter speed.

30fps without a stacked sensor is making little sense - they need to bring out a stacked sensor version like Fuji’s X-H2S.

BTW I only use mechanical shutter on the a6400 because of similar issues.

Jun 26, 2022 at 03:27 AM
duncang
• •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Canon R7 image thread…

Oh I forgot to mention that stabilisation seems exceptional - I actually looked down for the tripod at one point!.

But then Sony stabilisation sucks.

Jun 26, 2022 at 04:14 AM
Tom Reynolds
• •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Canon R7 image thread…

Thanks for this. Helps a lot.

I don't expect a zoom to outperform a $3600 prime even when the prime is attached to a 20MP cropped sensor DSLR. What I hope is that I can acquire images that focus on the eye more quickly and the images would be almost as good.

The rolling shutter examples are disheartening but I rarely shoot at low shutter speed when I would use 30 f/s.

FYI, my other consideration is an OM Systems OM-1 with a 100-400 and it does have a stacked sensor BUT, given the lens I have chosen, I will only shoot at 20 f/s. Unfortunately, it is a 20MP tiny sensor. That is the trade off.

Tom

Jun 26, 2022 at 05:58 AM
duncang
• •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Canon R7 image thread…

Tom Reynolds wrote:
Thanks for this. Helps a lot.

I don't expect a zoom to outperform a $3600 prime even when the prime is attached to a 20MP cropped sensor DSLR. What I hope is that I can acquire images that focus on the eye more quickly and the images would be almost as good.

The rolling shutter examples are disheartening but I rarely shoot at low shutter speed when I would use 30 f/s.

FYI, my other consideration is an OM Systems OM-1 with a 100-400 and it does have a stacked sensor BUT, given the lens I have chosen, I will only shoot
...Show more

The zoom is super sharp - no problem there - f/8 in low light is the problem. APS-C in low light is the real problem I guess.

Now if I could figure out how to program two back focus buttons - one with Wide Area and the other with single point or something smaller for picking one subject out of many that would be perfect.

Sadly it seems it is not possible to combine the AF ON + Focus Area 1 to a one button and AF ON + Focus Area 2 to another button.

So how do Canonites instantly select a different Focus Area on the R3 or R5/6 ?

Jun 26, 2022 at 06:56 AM
jedibrain
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Canon R7 image thread…

duncang wrote:
The zoom is super sharp - no problem there - f/8 in low light is the problem. APS-C in low light is the real problem I guess.

Now if I could figure out how to program two back focus buttons - one with Wide Area and the other with single point or something smaller for picking one subject out of many that would be perfect.

Sadly it seems it is not possible to combine the AF ON + Focus Area 1 to a one button and AF ON + Focus Area 2 to another button.

So how do Canonites instantly select a
...Show more

I believe it is possible to set up the two buttons the way you suggest on R5/6. If its not possible on the R7, a potential work around is to go in and only enable those two focus modes, and set one of the rear buttons to toggle through them. So you'd have your AF on button, then the button near it to cycle through AF modes, but with only two AF modes enabled you'd just bet switching between them.

-Brian

Jun 26, 2022 at 07:18 AM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Canon R7 image thread…

Imagemaster wrote:
Okay. I guess not mRAW either?

All Rf canon mirrorless only have raw and craw, no smaller resolution raw options.

Jun 26, 2022 at 07:40 AM
duncang
• •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Canon R7 image thread…

jedibrain wrote:
I believe it is possible to set up the two buttons the way you suggest on R5/6. If its not possible on the R7, a potential work around is to go in and only enable those two focus modes, and set one of the rear buttons to toggle through them. So you'd have your AF on button, then the button near it to cycle through AF modes, but with only two AF modes enabled you'd just bet switching between them.

-Brian

Thanks, that's what I have set up now.

Jun 26, 2022 at 08:08 AM
duncang
• •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Canon R7 image thread…

OK one more missing feature NO ZEBRAs in still shooting only in Video WTF !!

Jun 26, 2022 at 08:09 AM
duncang
• •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Canon R7 image thread…

I figured out how to configure two back focus buttons - one with Wide Area and the other with Spot and both with Start Tracking. So apart from zebras missing with still pretty much the same configuration as my A1, A9 and a6400.

Surprising the Canon manual seems to skip over explaining how to customise the AF mode for each button. When assigning AF ON to a button click the Details Set button and configure each of the parameters. These are more flexible than Sony's I think.

Jun 26, 2022 at 08:44 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password