New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

R3 weather sealing question

NOVA Joe

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · R3 weather sealing question

I was photographing an outdoor swim meet during a light rain with my new R3. Everything was going well until a few drops got on the viewfinder lens. When I wiped the drops off of the outside of the viewfinder lens I noticed there were big spots of condensation on the inside surface of the viewfinder lens. The spots were definitely just condensation from the cold rain sitting on the outlet side of the glass, but made it hard use the viewfinder until they cleared in a few minutes. I donít think any water leaked into my camera, but the fact that there was condensation means that there was moist air at least inside the the outermost portion of the viewfinder. Should I be concerned or is this normal?

Jun 22, 2022 at 12:24 PM
jwcdds

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · R3 weather sealing question

I don't think the R3 (or any camera) is air-tight sealed. So the air inside the camera is going to be relatively as "humid" as whatever environment you're currently in. This would definitely be true once you swap the lens out and/or use any lenses that doesn't have the weather-sealing gasket.

If you're concerned, you could dehydrate your camera. But as soon as you swap lenses, or swap batteries, or open the memory card door, air's getting in along with whatever humidity.

Looks like it was a relatively short-lasting annoyance (with the condensation) and that the camera continued to function without any problems.

Jun 22, 2022 at 12:54 PM
ballyhoo33
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · R3 weather sealing question

Sounds like typical condensation forming since the camera body was likely warm and the precipitation was cool. I recall this occurring with other camera bodies when shooting in hot, humid Iowa summers or taking the camera from the house outside in the winter. It never lasted long and had no impact on the bodies.

Jun 22, 2022 at 01:10 PM
NOVA Joe

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · R3 weather sealing question

Thanks everyone for your replies, you confirmed my thoughts and eased my worries.

Joe

Jun 22, 2022 at 08:40 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Uarctos
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · R3 weather sealing question

Took my 5D4 with the 35L instantly from 20 something Celsius to -20 Celsius inside a refrigerated warehouse. I could literally see how the frost was engulfing my tripod legs. Took the combo outside at 20 something Celsius, again.
The body and the lens were soaked outside and inside. The amount of condensation was insane. One hour later everything was fine. That happened 2 years ago, still using the combo. You worry too much about it.

Jun 23, 2022 at 05:53 AM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · R3 weather sealing question

Well if the situation continued for an extended period, this is likely how you end up with fungus in lenses, etc. I would still try to put the gear into a dessicant bag of sorts when you have stopped using it in these conditions to really try to get it dried out.

Bad things happen with dust settles and has a source of water over time.

Jun 23, 2022 at 06:43 AM
NOVA Joe

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · R3 weather sealing question

TeamSpeed wrote:
Well if the situation continued for an extended period, this is likely how you end up with fungus in lenses, etc. I would still try to put the gear into a dessicant bag of sorts when you have stopped using it in these conditions to really try to get it dried out.

Bad things happen with dust settles and has a source of water over time.

Agreed. When I started in photography I could never afford new gear so I always bought used. I learned quickly to always shine a flashlight through a lens before committing to a purchase. I was surprised how many lenses had fungus. Sometimes only a small amount but it always grows over time.

Thanks,
Joe

Jun 23, 2022 at 09:02 AM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · R3 weather sealing question

It could be that the main viewfinder optics are in a sealed package, but that the outer shell of the camera with the outermost glass element of the viewfinder window is separate, and therefore would allow some humidity build-up, air circulation, etc. Canon seems to design cameras and lenses somewhat modularly to allow faster/easier repairs by swapping major components rather than having to do a lot of dis and reassembly.

I agree about trying to dry out the camera anyway. Whenever I do fall/winter outdoor sports in cold, wet weather and the equipment gets damp, I put it in the front passenger footwell of the car, heat cranked to max, for the drive home. I might also leave it overnight beside a furnace register, though that doesn't really work well in the summer. If I lived somewhere hot and humid, I'd definitely get a dry cabinet in which to store equipment. When I've traveled in Asia, going from air-conditioned indoor areas to hot and humid outdoors was a frequent recipe for condensation... and have noticed early stages of mould/fungus that had to be immediately eradicated.

Jun 23, 2022 at 07:45 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password