Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5      
6
       7       end
  

Nikon 400mm f4.5 preview

  
 
jwolfe
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #1 · p.6 #1 · Nikon 400mm f4.5 preview


Yup totally agree. Which is why I havenít upgraded. Iím waiting for a smaller body with the Z9 tech in it.

shadow9d9 wrote:
Add on another 800g for the z9 vs A1.




Jun 24, 2022 at 04:13 PM
Steve Spencer
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #2 · p.6 #2 · Nikon 400mm f4.5 preview


shadow9d9 wrote:
Add on another 800g for the z9 vs A1.


It is 603g to be exact: 737g for the A1 vs. 1340g for the Z9. That is a big differences no doubt about it.



Jun 24, 2022 at 04:21 PM
Choderboy
Online
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #3 · p.6 #3 · Nikon 400mm f4.5 preview


What you said:

"you are in denial and you deliberately chose to be ignorant, while wearing it like it's some kind of a sick badge."

"you attempted to compare australian pricing with u.s. pricing, and you don't know why they can be different.
that's not me needing help, it's you not knowing the facts."


After I post an ad showing the Sony 200-600 price has been $2093, not the $3999 you claimed, you said:

"you are just ignorant, period.
that was the pricing at the time, as i stated."



Who is the ignorant one?
There is this thing called Google, it's an anti ignorance tool.
Using would show an ignorant person this:

osv2, this post if not aimed at you. It's to help others who are not already aware, they can save time by just ignoring you as you are either very stupid or a troll.

ccc warehouse is the only grey market seller in this list.
Sony200600Price_OZ_1000pix by Choderboy, on Flickr

osv2 wrote:
you are just ignorant, period.

that was the pricing at the time, as i stated.






Jun 24, 2022 at 11:54 PM
dclark
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #4 · p.6 #4 · Nikon 400mm f4.5 preview


From WikiPedia:
"Forum trolls are users that repeatedly and deliberately breach the netiquette of an established online community, posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages to bait or excite users into responding or to test the forum rules and policies, and with that the patience of the forum staff. Their provocative behavior may potentially start flame wars (see below) or other disturbances. Responding to a troll's provocations is commonly known as 'feeding the troll' and is generally discouraged, as it can encourage their disruptive behavior. "

IMO feeding a troll is essentially the same as being a troll.

Please continue your dispute via PM or some other non-FM forum.

Dave



Jun 25, 2022 at 12:14 AM
Choderboy
Online
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #5 · p.6 #5 · Nikon 400mm f4.5 preview


There will be no continuation, by me.


Jun 25, 2022 at 12:59 AM
Choderboy
Online
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #6 · p.6 #6 · Nikon 400mm f4.5 preview


On topic, these Nikon PFs are right up my alley.
I wonder if we can expect a mirrorless version of the 500 or it will just be an adapted lens forever.
Maybe 400 f4.5 with TC is the mirroless version, a bit more length and a 1/3rd stop slower.
It seems very unlikely Nikon won't release a lighter body. For me, it won't need to be the featherweight of a Canon R7, but obviously there's plenty of scope to reduce weight from the Z9.




Jun 25, 2022 at 01:09 AM
duncang
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #7 · p.6 #7 · Nikon 400mm f4.5 preview


Choderboy wrote:
On topic, these Nikon PFs are right up my alley.
I wonder if we can expect a mirrorless version of the 500 or it will just be an adapted lens forever.
Maybe 400 f4.5 with TC is the mirroless version, a bit more length and a 1/3rd stop slower.
It seems very unlikely Nikon won't release a lighter body. For me, it won't need to be the featherweight of a Canon R7, but obviously there's plenty of scope to reduce weight from the Z9.



The 400 f4.5 is not a PF lens



Jun 25, 2022 at 03:09 AM
Choderboy
Online
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #8 · p.6 #8 · Nikon 400mm f4.5 preview


OK, I missed that , obviously!
Seeing how small it was I just jumped straight there.


duncang wrote:
The 400 f4.5 is not a PF lens





Jun 25, 2022 at 04:21 AM
saaketham
Online
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #9 · p.6 #9 · Nikon 400mm f4.5 preview


This is my favorite question to ask
"So who won in this thread?"



Jun 25, 2022 at 07:40 AM
Steve Spencer
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #10 · p.6 #10 · Nikon 400mm f4.5 preview


Choderboy wrote:
OK, I missed that , obviously!
Seeing how small it was I just jumped straight there.




If it was a PF lens, then it would be shorter and probably about 1,000g instead of 1,250g. I would love to see Sony make a lens like this and I am not sure Sony can make PF/DO lenses, but they could very easily make a lens like this. I see this lens as small enough for my needs, but it leaves open the possibility of a 500 f/4.5 PF/DO that is 1600g or perhaps even a bit lighter. Rumor is Canon is going to make such a lens that will also be a compelling alternative. Hopefully Sony decides to compete in this space of smaller somewhat slower primes that are in between the cost of the 200-600 and 400 and 600 GM lenses.



Jun 25, 2022 at 09:15 AM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

OwlsEyes
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #11 · p.6 #11 · Nikon 400mm f4.5 preview


ChrisMak wrote:
Thanks for posting this, it is a very good illustration of how these combo's compare.

The Sony combo looks like a well balanced combo, regarding body size (with grip), and lens size.
The Nikon combo looks odd and ill balanced, the Z9 (with FTZ adapter) is far too big for that lens. But when Nikon comes with an A1 sized body with Z9 technology (save for the unlimited 8K video and battery life and all these things nobody really needs etc...), then that body with the 500PF (or other PF lenses) will leap ahead considerably in terms of portability and quality/size factor.

And
...Show more

Regarding the "odd" apparent balance... I'm not sure I agree with you. Now that I have used this combination for a few months, I personally like how the weight is shifted towards the back of the lens with the heavier body. The front of the 500PF is a featherweight and I almost never experience arm fatigue from supporting the lens. Furthermore, the body mass is right over my own center of gravity and my head helps to support this weight.
As for appearances,.. well adapted lenses never look great. The FTZII is better shaped and matches the lens and body nicely. In addition, Geoff's picture includes an add-on RRS plate in contrast to the nicely machined (and matching RRS/Kirk) foot on the Sony. I use a Henjar foot on my 500PF and 100-400S, these keep the weight down and allow plenty of room for your hands.

Because I have no love for the 500PF hood, I recently decided to buy a Zemlin Photo 3-D printed hood for it's referable bayonet system. It was a $140 decision that has not arrived yet, but having used these hoods on a 300mm f/2.8 AFSII, I know that it will be a solid addition to this lens ( https://www.zemlinphoto.com/product/lens-hood-1pc-100mm-3-94in-long-replaces-nikon-hb-84-hood-/422?cp=true&sa=false&sbp=false&q=false&category_id=82 ).

Until I see what Nikon does with the 200-600, I think I'm in a holding pattern. Based on what I own and the pace of introductions, I am going to hold off on the 400 4.5. With that said, I could envision shooting a 100-400 / 800PF kit 6 to 12 months from now... I want to see more work from the 800PF before I decide to go in that direction.

cheers,
bruce



Jun 25, 2022 at 09:43 AM
ChrisMak
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #12 · p.6 #12 · Nikon 400mm f4.5 preview


OwlsEyes wrote:
Regarding the "odd" apparent balance... I'm not sure I agree with you. Now that I have used this combination for a few months, I personally like how the weight is shifted towards the back of the lens with the heavier body. The front of the 500PF is a featherweight and I almost never experience arm fatigue from supporting the lens. Furthermore, the body mass is right over my own center of gravity and my head helps to support this weight.
As for appearances,.. well adapted lenses never look great. The FTZII is better shaped and matches the lens and body
...Show more

You will know better than me Bruce, because you have actually used the Z9+500PF combo, but still I say that a future non-pro/flagship style Nikon body will be even much better and will greatly enhance the attraction of the Z PF lenses for lightweight/small size and high perfromance/IQ combo's.

Nikon should eventually add a Z500PF and Z600PF and then they could potentially be thť dominant force in the wildlife/birding market in future.



Jun 25, 2022 at 11:08 AM
Choderboy
Online
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #13 · p.6 #13 · Nikon 400mm f4.5 preview


Steve Spencer wrote:
If it was a PF lens, then it would be shorter and probably about 1,000g instead of 1,250g. I would love to see Sony make a lens like this and I am not sure Sony can make PF/DO lenses, but they could very easily make a lens like this. I see this lens as small enough for my needs, but it leaves open the possibility of a 500 f/4.5 PF/DO that is 1600g or perhaps even a bit lighter. Rumor is Canon is going to make such a lens that will also be a compelling alternative. Hopefully Sony decides
...Show more

Yes. It's a low weight for non PF but agree with your estimated PF weight.
Canon 400 f4 DO II is a little over 1kg heavier for it's 1/3rd stop advantage.
EF 400 5.6L is 1250g without IS so 2/3rd stop faster and VR for the same weight is good.
A plastic hood on the Canon would reduced weight but the Nikon's still light for specs.





Jun 25, 2022 at 05:51 PM
dclark
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #14 · p.6 #14 · Nikon 400mm f4.5 preview


$3247
1245 grams (2.7ilb)



Jun 28, 2022 at 11:30 PM
tester_V
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #15 · p.6 #15 · Nikon 400mm f4.5 preview


With the Z9 and the 800mm and 400mm PF lenses a lot of people will join (comeback?) Nikon ship.
I think the price/quality combination is unbeatable, there is nothing in Canon Sony land that could touch Nikon for now...



Jun 29, 2022 at 12:33 AM
telyt
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #16 · p.6 #16 · Nikon 400mm f4.5 preview


tester_V wrote:
With the Z9 and the 800mm and 400mm PF lenses a lot of people will join (comeback?) Nikon ship.
I think the price/quality combination is unbeatable, there is nothing in Canon Sony land that could touch Nikon for now...


The lenses are interesting, the Z9 negates the size/weight advantage of the lenses. Unfortunate that Nikon and Canon have gone the big/fat route for their high-performance bodies.



Jun 29, 2022 at 05:08 AM
randomguy
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #17 · p.6 #17 · Nikon 400mm f4.5 preview


What would have been interesting is giving up 1/3rd stop in the 400-600 range for half the price and significantly lighter lens. Do not think that would happen though as it would kill the market for the big primes, Nikon made the PF lens 800mm for a reason as that is a very specialty FL. The 400 4.5 is interesting for the super light weight and size. However as has been mentioned, just too bad that Nikon does not have any interesting bodies that doesnt weight like 1.5kg which kills the weight advantage over for instance a A9 or A1 + 200-600.




Jun 29, 2022 at 03:45 PM
one_abouve_all
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #18 · p.6 #18 · Nikon 400mm f4.5 preview


telyt wrote:
The lenses are interesting, the Z9 negates the size/weight advantage of the lenses. Unfortunate that Nikon and Canon have gone the big/fat route for their high-performance bodies.


Well, if you are a photographer and you are looking to get a great image (picture) the weight (of a camera/lens) is the last thing one will consider. That is why all the "f4/F2.8 long lenses" are heavy and big but we do not mind it. I mean I wish they'll be not as heavy but it is ok. To balance (and not just to balance) those big lenses we need a nice professional body, like Z9 or R3.
If you are really into the "weight" argument you might be an Olympus user where the camera/lens combination is very light. But I guess you are going for a better image (at least you think it is better) quality that is why you are in a full-frame team. And a Full frame team is mostly about Big and Heavy gears. The argument that the Z9 is "too heavy" does not hold any water.
Cheers!






Jun 29, 2022 at 04:49 PM
Thang
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #19 · p.6 #19 · Nikon 400mm f4.5 preview


Nah have been shooting both z9 and a1 since February I can tell you z9 is no match for a1 for fast action bif. For critical moments I have much more confidence with A1

While Nikon last two lens offerings are great the wait time for them just turned me off completely. Whatís the fun in that?

Alan Parker wrote:
Looks great to me! Good size and weight from the look of it!
And I agree with the sentiment. This is very much a segment where Nikon is pulling ahead with their new lineups. Sony is missing out here, and it's a dangerous development given how well received the Z9 was.




Jun 29, 2022 at 06:28 PM
ArizonaImage
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #20 · p.6 #20 · Nikon 400mm f4.5 preview



$3200. Good price?



Jun 29, 2022 at 07:52 PM
1       2       3              5      
6
       7       end






FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5      
6
       7       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password