New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Nikon 400mm 4.5Z - Previews

Blakehfreeman
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon 400mm 4.5Z - Previews

Matt Irwin has a short preview of the lens… Nikon is producing some very interesting long glass…. Curious on price..

Jun 21, 2022 at 11:19 PM
paloika

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon 400mm 4.5Z - Previews

The Fro has one too:

Jun 21, 2022 at 11:22 PM
Blakehfreeman
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon 400mm 4.5Z - Previews

I don’t need to watch another man talk about his large muscles so skipped that one…

paloika wrote:
The Fro has one too:

Jun 21, 2022 at 11:24 PM
paloika

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikon 400mm 4.5Z - Previews

Matt Granger...maybe you'll like him better:

Edited on Jun 21, 2022 at 11:39 PM · View previous versions

Jun 21, 2022 at 11:31 PM
Blakehfreeman
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nikon 400mm 4.5Z - Previews

Also saw a short video by DP Review… happy to see Nikon trying to get their gear in the hands of “influencers” again.

Good time to be shooting Nikon (all brands for that matter).

Jun 21, 2022 at 11:38 PM
one_abouve_all

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nikon 400mm 4.5Z - Previews

I hope Nikon would not use the talking head from the tube to push new products. So-called "influencers" are influencing only the people with no "photography" experience. They are not even photographers... What times are we living? Dear God! Soon Kardashians will tell us which gear to buy....
I really like what Nikon is doing lately, I'm a Canon guy (currently shooting Sony) but I'll get Z9 as soon as it is available...I'm happy for Nikon, good job and the right path...

Jun 22, 2022 at 12:18 AM
CanadaMark
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Nikon 400mm 4.5Z - Previews

Too short of a focal length for me but looks like a great lens to add to the lineup. I'm sure it will play well with the TC's regardless. Rumors appeared to be on point, no surprises. Bring on the 200-600 and 600 PF.

Jun 22, 2022 at 12:21 AM
Alistair1
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Nikon 400mm 4.5Z - Previews

So this is not a PF? edit:Echoes of the Canon 400mm 5.6. Not a bad thing at all.

Jun 22, 2022 at 12:34 AM
CanadaMark
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Nikon 400mm 4.5Z - Previews

Alistair1 wrote:
So this is not a PF? edit:Echoes of the Canon 400mm 5.6. Not a bad thing at all.

It is not - looking at the roadmap silhouette it was never likely to be a PF, but I can see why one might have expected it to be as Nikon seems to like PF designs for their less exotic tele primes. Nikon does have a patent for a 600 PF, which will be either F5.6 or 6.3.

Jun 22, 2022 at 01:24 AM
Ripolini
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Nikon 400mm 4.5Z - Previews

Either Nikon guys get money from RRS and Kirk, or they are thick-headed.

Jun 22, 2022 at 01:30 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

urbanwild
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Nikon 400mm 4.5Z - Previews

Blakehfreeman wrote:
I don’t need to watch another man talk about his large muscles so skipped that one…

The Fro has some questionable videos over the past few years but I'll give him some credit here.....he's a photographer, not a talking head. He shows great examples with the Z9 and the comparison with the 400mm f2.8S will no doubt help sell the 4.5S.

Jun 22, 2022 at 01:51 AM
unchecked

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Nikon 400mm 4.5Z - Previews

Unfortunately that's the way things are.

The purpose of these previews is for show. It's only natural they go to people who do the show component. And usually people who do work aren't terribly good at the show part.

This is a phenomenon within Nikon users. We're mostly photographers. We do photos. Some do blogs. Not a lot of us do video. Video has reach. Youtube has the algorithm. It's just how things are today.

Jun 22, 2022 at 06:03 AM
JadedWriter
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Nikon 400mm 4.5Z - Previews

I'm expecting this to be priced at around whatever the 500PF was priced at, looks nice, I just want a 135 1.8 already.

Jun 22, 2022 at 07:00 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Nikon 400mm 4.5Z - Previews

Just like the 800, this certainly grew a bit from its roadmap silhouette. I bet the 600S is going to grow a lot

I'd certainly swap out an adapted 500PF for this lens. You get a nice 560 f/6.3 with the 1.4TC and the extra 2/3 light gathering at 400 when you need it. I felt the 500PF lost a lot of its compact magic once you had to use the FTZ with it on the Z9.

Jun 22, 2022 at 07:18 AM
Max Power
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Nikon 400mm 4.5Z - Previews

Matt Irwin: https://youtu.be/imgxyymc6fo

DPReview: https://youtu.be/DgdCw_vzxJk

Matt Granger: https://youtu.be/69sw0JR86jQ

Jared Polin: https://youtu.be/SuEcv6Es8tk

Jun 22, 2022 at 07:59 AM
AvianScott
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Nikon 400mm 4.5Z - Previews

Nikon is hitting it out of the park with lenses that fit my style of shooting. Now they just need to a mini Z9 so I can get great bird and wildlife AF without the full frame price before I get sucked in to the R7.

Jun 22, 2022 at 08:06 AM
Game Changer
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Nikon 400mm 4.5Z - Previews

And I am sure it will be available just like the 400mm TC Z lens I ordered in January...

Jun 22, 2022 at 08:40 AM
leewoolery
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Nikon 400mm 4.5Z - Previews

urbanwild wrote:
The Fro has some questionable videos over the past few years but I'll give him some credit here.....he's a photographer, not a talking head. He shows great examples with the Z9 and the comparison with the 400mm f2.8S will no doubt help sell the 4.5S.

Jared Polin photographs what I do...sports, portraits and photojournalism and I find his video reviews of Nikon gear the most informative.

His personality and language doesn't bother me one bit since I am around coaches and players all the time with my business and abrasive talk and arrogance are what I expect and appreciate.

His preview of the lens ( and other Nikon products he reviews) is backed by real world examples not all talk and opinion.

For me, though, a 400 f/2.8 is necessary and the 1.7 difference in f/stop is a deal breaker for most of the places I have to shoot.

If the majority of my work was in daytime, I wouldn't hesitate since I use the 200-400 f/4 frequently.

However...the background blur of the 400 f/2.8 is much more pleasing for me and the weight with an attached Z9 on a monopod has never been an issue for my work assignments.

Jun 22, 2022 at 08:48 AM
RoamingScott
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Nikon 400mm 4.5Z - Previews

leewoolery wrote:
Jared Polin photographs what I do...sports, portraits and photojournalism and I find his video reviews of Nikon gear the most informative.

His personality and language doesn't bother me one bit since I am around coaches and players all the time with my business and abrasive talk and arrogance are what I expect and appreciate.

His preview of the lens ( and other Nikon products he reviews) is backed by real world examples not all talk and opinion.

For me, though, a 400 f/2.8 is necessary and the 1.7 difference in f/stop is a deal breaker for most of the places I have to
...Show more

You can see how noisy his baseball shots were, a 2.8 would have helped a lot.

Jun 22, 2022 at 09:11 AM
carl_g
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Nikon 400mm 4.5Z - Previews

leewoolery wrote:

For me, though, a 400 f/2.8 is necessary and the 1.7 difference in f/stop is a deal breaker for most of the places I have to
...Show more

I’ve run into him before at MLS games in Philly. He is always testing new stuff. He actually does run the gear thru it’s paces and his reviews are honest. When that goes against the brand you’ve chosen, people don’t like to hear it, but it is what it is. I’d take honest facts and examples over fanboy reviewers any day.

I’d still take the hit on weight and size in order to have a 2.8 vs 4.5. In saying that, I bet Nikon sells truckloads of this lens.

Jun 22, 2022 at 09:42 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password