New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

The Best Digital Leica For Many Normal People Is A Fuji

genji
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · The Best Digital Leica For Many Normal People Is A Fuji

An eight question decision matrix designed to assist in answering the question “Should you buy a digital Leica M camera or a Fuji X-Pro3?”

https://www.leicalensesfornormalpeople.com/2022/05/27/the-best-digital-leica-for-many-normal-people-is-a-fuji/

(Not surprisingly, my own *honest* answer to every question led to the unanimous conclusion that the best digital Leica for me is a digital Leica.)

Jun 21, 2022 at 11:04 PM
pmeheut
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · The Best Digital Leica For Many Normal People Is A Fuji

genji wrote:
(Not surprisingly, my own *honest* answer to every question led to the unanimous conclusion that the best digital Leica for me is a digital Leica.)

Same here and I do not need a guy who posts images of shit to know what is good for me nor did I wait for him to use various systems in order to make an informed decision.

BTW, I know I can shoot with almost everything: film or digital, rangefinder, SLR, mirrorless, P&S and still get good pictures.
How do I know that? This is what I have done for decades and still do.

So I see no point in endless discussions about "should you use this instead?". I use what I like, I like what I use and the result depends on me.
All those articles should be replaced by "read this photography book", "look at this photographer website" or "see this exhibit if you can".

Jun 21, 2022 at 11:16 PM
ftllens
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · The Best Digital Leica For Many Normal People Is A Fuji

Tragic blog of Dunning–Kruger horse killer. lol

Jun 22, 2022 at 01:22 AM
retrofocus
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · The Best Digital Leica For Many Normal People Is A Fuji

It was and is a simple decision for me - there is no way I will ever go back to APS-C format. And since Fuji decided to solely go with cropped and digital medium format sensors, I never looked closer at Fuji cameras.

Jun 22, 2022 at 06:45 AM
mapgraphs
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · The Best Digital Leica For Many Normal People Is A Fuji

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/basics/dunning-kruger-effect

"Many people would describe themselves as above average in intelligence, humor, and a variety of skills. They can’t accurately judge their own competence, because they lack metacognition, or the ability to step back and examine oneself objectively. In fact, those who are the least skilled are also the most likely to overestimate their abilities."

Jun 22, 2022 at 07:00 AM
theHUN
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · The Best Digital Leica For Many Normal People Is A Fuji

Not a word on native monochrome bodies, the whole reason I went with a Leica.

Jun 22, 2022 at 08:28 AM
RexGig0
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · The Best Digital Leica For Many Normal People Is A Fuji

Well, my reason for entry into the Leica M system was the Summilux-M 50mm ASPH, well-preserved sample of which was available, at the nearby Leica dealer. I did the homework, regarding which camera body to pair with it, and did, indeed, strongly consider the Fuji X-Pro-whatever was current, at that time, April 2018. Fuji, itself, offered an M-to-X adapter. The pre-owned/demonstrator M9 and M 240 camera, that I tried, with the Summilux, were not so easy to use, but, I was fascinated with the rangefinder mechanism, a fascination that was re-awakened from the time that I had been interested in naval gunnery, and field artillery, as a history buff.

Coincidentally, April 2018 was a time at which one could finally buy a new Leica M10, without first having to be on a waiting list. I told the employee that I was going to buy the Summilux, for sure, and I was then offered the opportunity to see a new M10, for the first time. Well, to make a long story short, the Leica M10’s out-of-camera colors were “just right,” and the viewfinder experience was better for me, while wearing my eyeglasses.

A luxury, yes, but the pre-owned Summilux and the new M10 cost less than the Nikon Nikkor super-telephoto lenses I was also considering. At the time, however, I was still in the re-hab phase, after a left shoulder injury, that was still deterring my use of serious telephoto lenses. Today, 4+ years later, I have all but forgotten ever having been interested in the idea of actually owning a 600/4 or 400/2.8 monster. When my wife and I go on photo walks, in nature areas, these days, we pay much more attention to the wee beasties and plant life.

So, I consider myself a relatively normal person, and am a user of Leica products. There was, and is, no other 50mm lens, quite like the Summilux-M ASPH. No other camera makes my wife’s skin look quite like an M10 can, OOC. (I hate re-doing colors, and, dislike post-processing, in general.) Then, there is that Monochrom, that I have since added to the team…

Edited on Jun 22, 2022 at 01:00 PM · View previous versions

Jun 22, 2022 at 09:46 AM
RexGig0
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · The Best Digital Leica For Many Normal People Is A Fuji

genji wrote:
An eight question decision matrix designed to assist in answering the question “Should you buy a digital Leica M camera or a Fuji X-Pro3?”

https://www.leicalensesfornormalpeople.com/2022/05/27/the-best-digital-leica-for-many-normal-people-is-a-fuji/

My “Like” is for your conclusion. The linked article was annoying, but I suffered through it, for the “cause.” Dunning-Kruger, indeed.

Jun 22, 2022 at 09:49 AM
RexGig0
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · The Best Digital Leica For Many Normal People Is A Fuji

The author of the article kept emphasizing weather-sealing. Well, a Leica M lens is not weather-sealed, so, pairing my Summilux with an X Pro 3 would not be a weather-sealed combo. As I see it, weather-sealing should start with the lens, as it projects farther into the elements.

Living in the wet, green, tropical edge of Texas, and having had to photograph crime scenes, regardless of weather, for about seven years, I know a thing or two about weather-sealing. I can protect my non-weather-sealed equipment, or, I can use my pro-level Canon or Nikon equipment, which does not demand as much protection.

I do not claim to be any kind of expert. I do not claim to have been a “professional” photographer.

Jun 22, 2022 at 09:56 AM
Desmolicious
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · The Best Digital Leica For Many Normal People Is A Fuji

I'm not going to read it as I am "working from home".

But I have both the Xpro3 and a Leica M (other stuff too). Both are great. Xpro3 wins if I want AF and to use Fuji lenses. Leica wins if I want optical MF and want to use Leica lenses.

I also have a Z7, and that wins if I want to scan film. ;p

Jun 22, 2022 at 11:17 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · The Best Digital Leica For Many Normal People Is A Fuji

Perhaps I'm missing something but I never understood why Fuji and Leica shooters butt-heads with each other. Such distinct camera system and shooting experience in my view.

Jun 22, 2022 at 05:37 PM
Maknof

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · The Best Digital Leica For Many Normal People Is A Fuji

Leica it is non only M-mount and all people is not interested in going deep in the product specifications.
Today Leica is a brand that sell some photographic products, with a not tangible value added.
So even in smartphone era, a D-lux, for many people, is more than a Fujifilm. It is a "Leica" (it does not matter if it is 99% Panasonic).

There are many products that sell you more than the product itself, without being "high Luxury".

I am from EU, but doesn't a middle class american wife prefer a Vitamix blender on kitchen bench ?

We talk about it because we got passion about photographic tool.

The same can be for food slicers, here the first brand people get in mind is "Berkel", you can buy an old style flywheel slicer for the price of a Leica M11, you can buy a basic electric Berkel for the price of a DLUX.
You can buy a real butcher shop slicer for the price of a GFX50R but it's not a Berkel.

EDIT: i bought a Leica and happy about it.

Edited on Jun 22, 2022 at 06:16 PM · View previous versions

Jun 22, 2022 at 05:41 PM
flash
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · The Best Digital Leica For Many Normal People Is A Fuji

Do I want it?

Can I afford it?

Done.

Gordon

Jun 22, 2022 at 06:09 PM
Sauseschritt
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · The Best Digital Leica For Many Normal People Is A Fuji

If I'd want to compete with Leica, I'd grab a GFX 100S.

Jun 23, 2022 at 03:46 AM
pmeheut
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · The Best Digital Leica For Many Normal People Is A Fuji

Sauseschritt wrote:

Yes, the rangefinder is great and the native lenses are small and lightweight

Jun 23, 2022 at 04:23 AM
Sauseschritt
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · The Best Digital Leica For Many Normal People Is A Fuji

pmeheut wrote:
Yes, the rangefinder is great and the native lenses are small and lightweight

Dont care, not my priorities.

Jun 23, 2022 at 04:44 AM
Desmolicious
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · The Best Digital Leica For Many Normal People Is A Fuji

Sauseschritt wrote:

How does that compete with an M3?

Jun 23, 2022 at 09:58 AM
airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · The Best Digital Leica For Many Normal People Is A Fuji

There is no competition at all anywhere if you want a digital B&W rangefinder. The M Monochrom is the only one. And for most a smal true rangefinder camera with insanely good small lenses are the reason for picking Leica M.

I never liked Fuji. The way they function is not intuitive for me. Leica M rangefinders really match the way I see and work.

I don't think Fuji is the best digital Leica for anyone. No more than Leica is the best Fuji for anyone.(though many keep trying to make Leica M just that) Fuji is a Fuji. Leica M is Leica M. End'a story.

Jun 23, 2022 at 10:34 AM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · The Best Digital Leica For Many Normal People Is A Fuji

RexGig0 wrote:
The author of the article kept emphasizing weather-sealing. Well, a Leica M lens is not weather-sealed, so, pairing my Summilux with an X Pro 3 would not be a weather-sealed combo. As I see it, weather-sealing should start with the lens, as it projects farther into the elements.

Living in the wet, green, tropical edge of Texas, and having had to photograph crime scenes, regardless of weather, for about seven years, I know a thing or two about weather-sealing. I can protect my non-weather-sealed equipment, or, I can use my pro-level Canon or Nikon equipment, which does not demand as much
...Show more

FYI: if you want to know Leica's position on M lens weather sealing, read the 2012 Photokina 'Day 3' M240 interview by David Farkas with Leica's Jesko von Oeynhausen.

Here's the relevant part:

What are the details on weather sealing? Is the lens mount sealed in any way?

The lens mount is not sealed. Usually lenses would have a gasket on mount, but no M lenses have this. The lenses themselves are built to such tight tolerances and have oil between the parts, which works to create a kind of sealing. The problem was never with the lenses. It has always been with bodies.

FWIW, with the M240 Leica added weather sealing/resistance, which I assume has been carried through all newer digital M bodies.

Jun 23, 2022 at 03:53 PM
flash
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · The Best Digital Leica For Many Normal People Is A Fuji

I actually did this a while back. Swapped to Fuji.

I was shooting full time and doing 60 weddings a year with a pair of M240’s. Loved it but after 12 hours, I had to admit my eyes were just exhausted. So I, dabbled with the idea that I’d try adding an AF camera for reception. Well they released the XPro2 and I went all in. Shot about a dozen complete weddings with it and then switched back. I wrote the world’s best camera review for the XPro2 on this site……

The Fujis are sensational camera. Anyone who says otherwise is wrong. Great sensor, lenses and speed. They’re also lighter than the M’s. Clients loved the images. My eyes were less tired after a full weekend of weddings. So why switch back?

Because the XPro is nothing like an M in feel. They’re too light for me. They’re too easy. The only differentiator for the M to any other camers is the way you approach a shot. The Fuji changes that. I still use my Fuji stuff occasionally but it isn’t a Leica. That’s like saying your the same as your next door neighbour because you’re both human…..

Gordon

Jun 23, 2022 at 05:42 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password