FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

a7IV sensor cover is useless

Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · a7IV sensor cover is useless

Dexter75 wrote:
Been a professional photographer for 17 years and never touched a single sensor. I prefer to leave the inner workings of my $2500 camera to professionals, the same way I donít go messing around with my car engine. However, I did just order a cleaning kit. I suppose blowing some air in there and using the supplied brush canít do much damage. But anything beyond that and Iím taking it in.

That is up to you, but a wet cleaning of the sensor is super easy and once you try I doubt you would feel the need to have someone else do it, but then again I still change my oil sometimes and I always change the filters and wiper blades and even rotate my own tires. Cleaning your sensor is more along those lines than mucking around with an engine.

Jun 22, 2022 at 02:23 PM
Viramati
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · a7IV sensor cover is useless

I have been shooting with the Sony A7 system since the first one came out and and am now a retired semi pro photographer so I use my cameras a lot with prime and zoom lenses. I have to say I don't really find them to be worse than other cameras. I very rarely need to wet clean and if I do as a pro member I get 2 cleans a year per camera but I haven't used this service in the last 2 years. I use a filtered rocket blower most of the time which works 99% of the time. I put double sided adhesive tape in all my lens caps and regular clean them and the back of the lenses with my blower. I always change lenses with the body facing down and inside if I can. On my A1 I only have the shutter curtain closed setting on if I'm going to change lenses outside. If you follow a good cleaning and lens changing routine dust really shouldn't be an issue

Jun 22, 2022 at 03:37 PM
Viramati
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · a7IV sensor cover is useless

Dexter75 wrote:
Been a professional photographer for 17 years and never touched a single sensor. I prefer to leave the inner workings of my $2500 camera to professionals, the same way I donít go messing around with my car engine. However, I did just order a cleaning kit. I suppose blowing some air in there and using the supplied brush canít do much damage. But anything beyond that and Iím taking it in.

I don't know in the US but if your a Sony registered Pro here in the UK you get 2 free sensor cleans a year per camera and I'm lucky to have a service centre near me in London. Could be worth checking this out

Jun 22, 2022 at 03:40 PM
Dexter75
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · a7IV sensor cover is useless

Dave Sanders wrote:
You would likely have had dust on your sensor with Canon, but if you're shooting fast primes, wide open or close to it, you're very unlikely to see it. Typically, f/8 or smaller. I shot everything from an ancient 10D to a Rebel to a 5D to a 1DsII...all got dust on the sensor, routinely.

Maybe it was visible dust in the lens you were seeing? The 24-70 Art did have an issue with that.

Its possible but I shot at f/11-13 in the studio with those same primes and never had sensor spots against white backdrops. Its on the sensor not the lens, swapped out lenses to confirm it.

Jun 22, 2022 at 03:51 PM
newdom

p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · a7IV sensor cover is useless

I'm a relative newbie but I learned to use a blower and wet clean the sensor early on. Super easy with a good kit, never had a problem (and probably the same process that you were charged $50 for). If it helps psychologically, you're actually cleaning a sensor glass cover, not the sensor itself
The early Sigma 24-70 had a known dust problem that was corrected with later batches and they fixed the early batch with recall. But as others have noted almost all extending zooms will pull in dust.

Jun 22, 2022 at 04:14 PM
mojoh

p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · a7IV sensor cover is useless

mogul wrote:
learn how to clean your sensor...part of being a photographer.

With so many 'likes' on the above, this probably IS the best advice from the community.

I initially also had fears wet cleaning a sensor, but later gained practise and experience through cleaning my older cameras waiting to get sold.

An alternative advise if self cleaning is not to your liking would be to acquire and use multiple bodies in order to minimize lens changing (in the field)..

Cheers

Jun 22, 2022 at 04:33 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · a7IV sensor cover is useless

No question you need to learn how to take care of your own gear and maintain it. On the Pro service of 2 cleanings per year. I would never use it as taking the risk alone on a A1 on shipping is a big risk. BH just screwed up my purchase I bought a A7c used and what came in the box was a 15 dollar cable not a A7c. They took care of it and its on a Fedx truck right now. But lately the world is just crazy.

Jun 22, 2022 at 04:37 PM
Dexter75
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · a7IV sensor cover is useless

mojoh wrote:
With so many 'likes' on the above, this probably IS the best advice from the community.

I initially also had fears wet cleaning a sensor, but later gained practise and experience through cleaning my older cameras waiting to get sold.

An alternative advise if self cleaning is not to your liking would be to acquire and use multiple bodies in order to minimize lens changing (in the field)..

Cheers

I didnt even need to go to a wet clean. First tried the blower, didnt work. Then tried the brush and that got it off. Thanks

Jun 22, 2022 at 06:57 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · a7IV sensor cover is useless

I've never had to wet clean a Sony sensor to date. Have owned 4 Sony bodies and over 100,000 shots on each of them. I use a blower on occasion if I see a spot.

With Canon and Nikon I would need to wet clean a few times a year.

That said, I shoot mostly f/8 or faster so won't see every little spot that a landscape shooter my see.

But so far my Sony experience has been the best of any brand for having a no maintenance sensor.

I just can't fathom how anyone could shoot Canon for 17 years and never need to clean the sensor? That boggles my mind

Jun 22, 2022 at 07:02 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Younjulius
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · a7IV sensor cover is useless

Can someone recommend a good and easy to use cleaning kit to try?

Jun 22, 2022 at 08:42 PM
Dave Sanders
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · a7IV sensor cover is useless

I had good luck with Visible Dust back in the DSLR days:

https://www.visibledust.com/

B&H and others used to sell their cleaning kits.
Younjulius wrote:

Jun 22, 2022 at 09:26 PM
Dexter75
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · a7IV sensor cover is useless

Younjulius wrote:

This is the one I just used. Worked great

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JQQCTQQ?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Jun 22, 2022 at 10:09 PM
kosin
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · a7IV sensor cover is useless

Younjulius wrote:

Not a kit but some recommendations to consider.
When it comes to wet cleaning, I use the:
- Dust Patrol swabs: https://amzn.to/3Ae0KKT - material of the swab is folded and not molded/glued like other swabs, which prevents hard corners.

- and Aeroclipse fluid: https://amzn.to/3OBfYgU - I found original Eclipse fluid to ďquickĒ to dry and was leaving smudges - for some reason, this wasnít an issue with Canon sensors.

Jun 22, 2022 at 10:21 PM
ruthenium
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · a7IV sensor cover is useless

My experience with A7III and A1 has been similar to that of Arbitrage: occasional use of a blower is all that has ever been needed. I have never done or had a reason to do a wet clean. Understandably, the dust spots can be easily patched in post, but this becomes annoying when it starts taking an unreasonable amount of time.

Jun 22, 2022 at 11:46 PM
Dexter75
• •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · a7IV sensor cover is useless

ruthenium wrote:
My experience with A7III and A1 has been similar to that of Arbitrage: occasional use of a blower is all that has ever been needed. I have never done or had a reason to do a wet clean. Understandably, the dust spots can be easily patched in post, but this becomes annoying when it starts taking an unreasonable amount of time.

Good to know. Spots on the sensor are not fixable in post if you shoot video and Im shooting much more video these days.

Jun 22, 2022 at 11:56 PM
gheller
• • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · a7IV sensor cover is useless

My 85 f/1.4 literally lives on my A73 and has been that way since both were brand new.

Still, if I stop down, I see *lots* of dust. Luckily, I rarely go past f/2 (@ 1.4 99% of the time) so it is a non issue.

g

Jun 23, 2022 at 03:07 AM
Jochenb
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · a7IV sensor cover is useless

Dust happens. It's one of those things you just need to accept, especially when shooting mirrorless (even with closed shutters when changing lenses).

Jun 23, 2022 at 03:50 AM
RomanMF

p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · a7IV sensor cover is useless

Dust spot can be a real pain for me. When processing my sea blurs I often encounter a bunch I never knew were there! Have had to become a pro at sensor cleaning.

17 years and never cleaned a sensor?! FRAUD!!!! 😝

Jun 23, 2022 at 10:14 AM
       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password