New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Space rentals? I.e peerspace and giggster

Odinsoffphotography
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Space rentals? I.e peerspace and giggster

How often do you guys use platforms like peerspace or giggster for your shoots? What do you think is missing?

I personally have been getting frustrated with the drives out to LA/Burbank 😒 does that bother you? Does it also bother you as a photographer that these places are already staged and some with lighting too? Sometimes it feels like the photo is handed to people

Jun 21, 2022 at 03:04 PM
story_teller
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Space rentals? I.e peerspace and giggster

The commute to Burbank would bother me even more since I live in SW Florida! That aside, these places are great for commercial work and are even used by big studios from time to time. They save a lot of time and money when doing advertising photography, B-roll stuff and other types of photography. The house lighting is usually optional, but can be handy for quick and dirty shots. Before you sign a rental agreement, find out what you can and can't do on set.

I view it as similar to on location photography. I use what's available and modify what I need to get the shot. That may include gels, moving stuff, different lenses, angles, accent lighting, etc. The less I have to do, the faster the shoot goes.

Most of the time I have to do everything myself, since the closest equipped rental studios are about 150 miles away. That means scouting rentals, negotiating a daily rental agreement, renting furniture and props, securing all the proper permits and insurance requirements, checking for electrical outlets for equipment, etc. etc. It's a pain and they normally ask significant sums for a daily rental. Try it a couple times and you'll begin to appreciate these rental studios a bit more.

Jun 23, 2022 at 08:45 AM
jjasef
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Space rentals? I.e peerspace and giggster

Am in South San Francisco and I've used Peerspace successfully for my shoots because it's convenient to search what I need for a shoot (location and sq ft). Therefore, it doesn't bother me that it's already "staged" because I come in knowing what to expect and need from a space and having some equipment, notably grip, is helpful for my gaffer/grip.

Jul 07, 2022 at 08:16 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Odinsoffphotography
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Space rentals? I.e peerspace and giggster

What about deal breakers? are there any dealbreakers for you guys when renting a space?

Jul 25, 2022 at 05:04 PM
CharleyL
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Space rentals? I.e peerspace and giggster

Many photography clubs have or have access to studio space that you can rent by the hour or day. Most have equipment, lights, backdrops, etc. too. You may need to buy a transmitter to operate the lights or they may have a few that they will loan or rent.

Here in the Charlotte, NC area there are several studios for rent at The Light Factory, a local art/photography operation sponsered by the city, that you can join reasonably and then rent fully equipped studio space, printing facilities, etc. They even have display areas for public viewing and contests that are open to the public display for a period before/after the contest.

There are also several studios here that will rent time in off hours for local photo groups to use.

Start investigating what is available in your area. Find and join a few photo clubs so you can network and find out what other photographers do when they need a studio. I ended up building a small studio in my home, in what had been a large 2nd Master Bedroom Suite on the 2nd floor of my home. Though not ideal in many ways, I have designed it to be quite flexible for portrait and product photography. I have wanted my own studio for most of my adult life. I rented a few times, and once even used the theater stage where I was working as my studio with all of the curtains drawn closed. Now I'm 80, and having my very own studio became a "Bucket List" item many years ago. So in the last 3 years I've been building and using my studio. So I now have my own studio, but I'm almost too old to use it. It has kept me busy, active, and happy these last three years +, doing something that I have always enjoyed doing though.

Charley

Sep 22, 2022 at 06:35 PM
jeffbuzz
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Space rentals? I.e peerspace and giggster

I suggest visiting any prospective rental space in person before committing to anything. What's the neighborhood like at the time of day or night you'd be using the space? Is it somewhere you are comfortable bringing clients or models at that time? What's happening in the surrounding businesses or shared walls at your planned times?

No one's being "handed" anything other than proper equipment for which they are paying a fee. Is a person who rents a lens or camera being "handed" anything? For large or unusual projects that you might only shoot once a year it can make lots of sense to rent a fully staged space. It's like renting a moving truck. Why would you own one when you probably only need it once every 5 or 10 years. Nobody handed me a darn thing except the keys when I last visited uhaul.

Sep 24, 2022 at 05:26 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password