New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Space rentals? I.e peerspace and giggster

Odinsoffphotography
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Space rentals? I.e peerspace and giggster

How often do you guys use platforms like peerspace or giggster for your shoots? What do you think is missing?

I personally have been getting frustrated with the drives out to LA/Burbank 😒 does that bother you? Does it also bother you as a photographer that these places are already staged and some with lighting too? Sometimes it feels like the photo is handed to people

Jun 21, 2022 at 03:04 PM
story_teller
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Space rentals? I.e peerspace and giggster

The commute to Burbank would bother me even more since I live in SW Florida! That aside, these places are great for commercial work and are even used by big studios from time to time. They save a lot of time and money when doing advertising photography, B-roll stuff and other types of photography. The house lighting is usually optional, but can be handy for quick and dirty shots. Before you sign a rental agreement, find out what you can and can't do on set.

I view it as similar to on location photography. I use what's available and modify what I need to get the shot. That may include gels, moving stuff, different lenses, angles, accent lighting, etc. The less I have to do, the faster the shoot goes.

Most of the time I have to do everything myself, since the closest equipped rental studios are about 150 miles away. That means scouting rentals, negotiating a daily rental agreement, renting furniture and props, securing all the proper permits and insurance requirements, checking for electrical outlets for equipment, etc. etc. It's a pain and they normally ask significant sums for a daily rental. Try it a couple times and you'll begin to appreciate these rental studios a bit more.

Jun 23, 2022 at 08:45 AM
jjasef
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Space rentals? I.e peerspace and giggster

Am in South San Francisco and I've used Peerspace successfully for my shoots because it's convenient to search what I need for a shoot (location and sq ft). Therefore, it doesn't bother me that it's already "staged" because I come in knowing what to expect and need from a space and having some equipment, notably grip, is helpful for my gaffer/grip.

Jul 07, 2022 at 08:16 AM
Odinsoffphotography
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Space rentals? I.e peerspace and giggster

What about deal breakers? are there any dealbreakers for you guys when renting a space?

Jul 25, 2022 at 05:04 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password