New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Will Canon come out with a R1?

Herb
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Will Canon come out with a R1?

I have always had the top of the line 1D or 1Dxi have the R3 and R7 on order, but will canon come out with a R1? If so how might it exceed the R3 and when might it come out?

Jun 20, 2022 at 01:42 PM
agvogel
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Will Canon come out with a R1?

Undoubtedly - Canon themselves say the R3 is not a flagship. I'd look to the Z9 and A1 for cues - top-notch AF, high resolution, high burst rate, all enabled by a stacked sensor.

Jun 20, 2022 at 01:48 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Will Canon come out with a R1?

Canon Rumor from Nov 4:

https://www.canonrumors.com/the-canon-eos-r1-is-coming-here-are-a-few-things-to-expect/

Jun 20, 2022 at 01:55 PM
jedibrain
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Will Canon come out with a R1?

Herb wrote:
I have always had the top of the line 1D or 1Dxi have the R3 and R7 on order, but will canon come out with a R1? If so how might it exceed the R3 and when might it come out?

Certainly they will. Probably next year.

How might it exceed the R3? Pure speculation, but I'd guess...

- 40+ MP (I'd guess 45-60mp)
- same 30fps, possibly a higher burst mode in JPG like the Z9
- Quad Pixel AF
- 2 CFEx card slots
- return of the direct print button

I'm debating - I really have no need for one but I've always wanted a 1 series. And its possible this one could be spec'd such that its the last camera I'd ever need. Maybe it'll be a mid-life crisis gift to myself. But I'll have to see where the cost lands. I hope pressure from Sony and Nikon keep it in the 6K range.

-Brian

Jun 20, 2022 at 02:52 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Will Canon come out with a R1?

Jun 20, 2022 at 03:12 PM
JRobertson
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Will Canon come out with a R1?

Herb wrote:

Yes, w/ dev announcement in Q4 this year and available Q3-4 2023.

Jun 20, 2022 at 09:06 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Will Canon come out with a R1?

By then we should have an R5 II.

EBH

Jun 20, 2022 at 09:18 PM
JohnSil
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Will Canon come out with a R1?

Herb wrote:

If you gotta have the R1, absolutely Canon will come out with an R1.
When? For SURE before the next Olympic Games!
How will it exceed the R3? I think it will exceed it by several thousand dollars!!! LoL
John

Jun 21, 2022 at 02:43 AM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Will Canon come out with a R1?

So a high end APS-C like a replacement to the 7D2 would be the R2 perhaps? An R1 and R2 duo would be a potent kit.

Jun 21, 2022 at 06:38 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Will Canon come out with a R1?

One thing that perplexes me about. some of the R1 talk is that traditionally the "1" designation (at least since the demise of the 1-Ds cameras) has been for a lower MP body that is designed for ruggedness and speed of operation... not one designed for a very high sensor resolution.

One lesson Canon learned back when the 1Ds still existed was that buyers of the highest MP cameras are largely unpersuaded by the speed and beefiness qualities of the 1-series. They (we) generally do not want the big, heavy bodies. If there is going to be one very high MP Canon body, something like a "R5s" is what most people will want, not a "R1s" type body.

So if Canon offers an extremely high MP system (like the rumored 100MP camera) as the top, most-expensive body in their line-up, that would seem out of character. It would also probably not be a great strategy for building/maintaining market share among such users who would be increasingly attracted by lower cost options for such cameras from Sony and those who would find the cost of the Fujifilm GFX 100s less daunting.

I don't think we have a clear picture of where this is going yet.

Jun 21, 2022 at 09:33 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

jedibrain
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Will Canon come out with a R1?

gdanmitchell wrote:
One thing that perplexes me about. some of the R1 talk is that traditionally the "1" designation (at least since the demise of the 1-Ds cameras) has been for a lower MP body that is designed for ruggedness and speed of operation... not one designed for a very high sensor resolution.

One lesson Canon learned back when the 1Ds still existed was that buyers of the highest MP cameras are largely unpersuaded by the speed and beefiness qualities of the 1-series. They (we) generally do not want the big, heavy bodies. If there is going to be one very high
...Show more

Yes it is still a bit of a mystery. I do suspect 8k video has put a floor on the resolution of any future flagship (or course this is just my speculation), at about 38mp (didn't do the math). And with Sony and Nikon at 45-50 on their flagships these days that is another factor. I also don't think it'll be less resolution than the R3 (too confusing). So adding all that up I suspect it will be 40+ MP.

I also don't think it'll be 100mp. I think that will be an R5s or whatever they decide to call it, based on what you said - the target audience doesn't want the 1series form factor/feature set.

I am excited to find out. R1 could have a new battery and dual DIGIC X processors, and push a 50mp sensor at R3 speeds or beyond. Imagine that. I also wonder if we'll see a stacked sensor in he R5mkII?

-Brian

Jun 21, 2022 at 10:17 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Will Canon come out with a R1?

I could care less what they name new cameras or how those names relate to any former models. It has nothing to do with your final images.

Jun 21, 2022 at 11:32 AM
mcoons
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Will Canon come out with a R1?

My biggest concern is price. If a R3 is $6K, how much more will an R1 be? And will photographers go for a $7000+ camera these days when the R5 is so damn good at half the price?

Jun 21, 2022 at 11:58 AM
CelesteForza
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Will Canon come out with a R1?

mcoons wrote:
My biggest concern is price. If a R3 is $6K, how much more will an R1 be? And will photographers go for a $7000+ camera these days when the R5 is so damn good at half the price?

Possible they drop price on the R3 by the time the R1 is introduced. At $6k the R3s value would be significantly damaged with the the top of the line camera coming in at $1000-$1500 more.

Jun 21, 2022 at 12:21 PM
jedibrain
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Will Canon come out with a R1?

mcoons wrote:

---------------------------------------------

CelesteForza wrote:
Possible they drop price on the R3 by the time the R1 is introduced. At $6k the R3s value would be significantly damaged with the the top of the line camera coming in at $1000-$1500 more.

I don't think the R3 can stay at that price point very long. It may not stay in the lineup very long either. Could be a one and done. R3 is a bit of a mystery. When you look at the R5 up to the R3, you tend to think the build and BSI stacked sensor with lower resolution is not worth the cost. But when you look across from the 1DxIII you see better performance in almost every aspect at a lower price and it seems amazing.

My personal conspiracy theory (and for full transparency that's all it is - my own conjecture) is that Canon wanted an R1 priced at $10k. They may still do it. But with the A1 and Z9 priced and spec'd how they are, I don't know if that will be possible. The R3 seems to be selling quite well at its price point, so that may push the R1 price up.

Brian

Jun 21, 2022 at 12:33 PM
qc_mountain
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Will Canon come out with a R1?

Canon Flagships are always released at the Summer Olympics . Next one will be in 2024

Francois .

Jun 21, 2022 at 12:51 PM
johnvanr
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Will Canon come out with a R1?

gdanmitchell wrote:

One lesson Canon learned back when the 1Ds still existed was that buyers of the highest MP cameras are largely unpersuaded by the speed and beefiness qualities of the 1-series. They (we) generally do not want the big, heavy bodies. If there is going to be one very high
...Show more

I think the market has changed.

Jun 21, 2022 at 01:34 PM
johnvanr
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Will Canon come out with a R1?

No doubt there will be a R1. The question is in a world where the R5 and the R3 already exist, who needs that R1. Surely not me. The R5 does it all.

Jun 21, 2022 at 01:35 PM
Sy Sez
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Will Canon come out with a R1?

Of course, they will!!!

Jun 21, 2022 at 05:16 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Will Canon come out with a R1?

johnvanr wrote:
No doubt there will be a R1. The question is in a world where the R5 and the R3 already exist, who needs that R1. Surely not me. The R5 does it all.

There are numerous limitations in the R5 - some critical, some major, and some minor.
The R3 has reduced or eliminated some of them, but it's really not clear how much will be done with a Mk II vs. a 1 series. The larger 1 series body style will always have advantages in power for processors and motors, better heat dissipation and ergonomics. Obviously some people won't want to pay or have physical/weight limitations, but that is nothing new. Back in the day many people opted for the 5D or 5D II over the 1Ds II or 1Ds III.

EBH

Jun 21, 2022 at 05:18 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password