Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Best approach to selling Fuji gear?

loganross

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Best approach to selling Fuji gear?

THIS IS NOT A FS THREAD. I AM TRYING TO UNDERSTAND THE BEST APPROACH TO SELLING MY EQUIPMENT.

[I have already signed up for the FREDMIRANDA "Buy&Sell" membership, and will properly post there if that is the consensus.]

Hi Folks,

I have come to an inflection point. I have wanted photography to be my go-to hobby for two decades. But for two decades, life has gotten in the way (career, family, other priorities). Then, my daughter picked up the iphone, started taking pictures, and started winning awards. What I realized was that photography is creativity. She has creative talent and I donít (I think my gift is as a master technician). She has time to learn and explore, and I donít. I have decided that it is time for me to let go. Itís been a tough decision that has taken me 6 months to make, but I am tired of staring at beautiful equipment never getting used.

Now the hard part! I want to get my camera systems into the hands of actual photographers and hobbyists. I wonít sell to local camera stores, KEH or B&H because they simply offer too little. I am tired of the stress that comes with ebay, especially given how many pieces I plan on selling. SO WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO GO ABOUT THIS? Sell here, elsewhere? Are there local camera clubs I should connect with? I am in the Seattle Area. Where have you had success?

Please note, I am not selling because I need the money. I am not in a rush (no fire-sale), and thus I have no interest in receiving low-ball offers or negotiating myself down. I am looking for clean-simple transactions, fair pricing based on market value, and the opportunity to see my equipment in the hands of people that will make better use of it than me.

Thank you. Your advice is appreciated! And note that I will cross-post in the Canon forum as I try to find the right approach for both my systems.

PS - To give you an idea about how big my system is , and why it will likely take more time, it comprises the following:

FUJI X
-XT 4 Camera Body (Silver)
-16-80 F4
-23 F2 WR
-50 F2 WR
-10-24 F4
-55-200
- (2) Nissin i60a flashes (+ commander)

Jun 20, 2022 at 01:35 PM
loganross

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Best approach to selling Fuji gear?

I was recently asked why I would be selling my equipment if my daughter is a good photographer. The answer is that she does not want to use a traditional camera, has had success without it, and even in her school courses, the iphone is accepted as approved equipment.

Jun 20, 2022 at 01:40 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Best approach to selling Fuji gear?

I've had general very good luck selling on the Buy/Sell forum here. Check eBay completed listings and price maybe 10-15% lower than those and you should move your gear. Hopefully.

Jun 20, 2022 at 03:00 PM
curious80
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Best approach to selling Fuji gear?

Buy and Sell here is one of the best options. Typically very safe with no scams that you might get on ebay etc. Having a good description of the condition of your equipment along with some pictures helps ensure that the buyer and you are in sync and there is no miscommunication.

An alternative is to use your local craigslist. There are no shipping charges and paypal fees etc to deal with, and the buyer gets a chance to fully inspect the equipment before buying. However there is a lot more lowballing and you do get some scams as well.

Jun 20, 2022 at 03:25 PM
loganross

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Best approach to selling Fuji gear?

Awesome. Makes sense. It sounds like I should gear up and post here!

Jun 20, 2022 at 04:06 PM
FoleyAMG
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Best approach to selling Fuji gear?

Post on FM and ensure you post with pics...that helps...

Personally though, you have a solid set up. If you do not need the cash, no rush to sell...I would hang onto it...use it for family portraits, pet photos, photos of your other hobbies and travel...does not cost you anything to just hang onto it. Suspect you are putting to much pressure or though into this "creativity" ...piece...hobby is to be enjoyed, your creativity is what you define it as, not someone else....anyways, just my two cents....

Jun 20, 2022 at 06:59 PM
Daniel Smith
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Best approach to selling Fuji gear?

If you are more technically oriented why not work still life and the type of photos that speak to your interest?

A lot of work to do and creativity comes more and more as you do setups and lighting.

If you do decide to sell these forums look good. EBay is more of a crapshoot with the fees and problems associated with the site

Jun 22, 2022 at 10:21 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Best approach to selling Fuji gear?

If you like doing photography, the fact that your daughter's work is "creative" (congratulations to her, by the way!) is no reason to give up your own photography. Everyone does photography differently and for different reasons, and I've seen folks do a lot of harm to their own photographic potential by making too many of these kinds of comparisons.

To some extent, if the fact that you have done photography all of these years was part of the influence on her, then that might be a reason to continue, too. Congratulations on raising a daughter with these talents!

I don't know your personal situation, but I've known a few folks at (what I presume may be) your point in life who had thoughts like yours that were maybe less about the photography itself and perhaps more about something else. These are valid, real thoughts, but I urge you to go slowly here and not do something radical like sell off all of your gear. If my "reading between the lines" is correct (and no guarantees here, but it still is important to say it) you could well regret this decision.

There's no harm in going slowly here, but you might end up regretting a precipitous decision.

Good luck.

Dan

Jun 23, 2022 at 10:24 AM
RoamingScott
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Best approach to selling Fuji gear?

Step 1) have clean gear, and list it honestly regarding the condition, having boxes helps for some dumb reason. If you have the boxes, make sure to mention that.
Step 2) take high quality pics from multiple angles
Step 3) profit!

You have a pretty basic kit of middling quality these days. If you regret selling it, you can pick any of that gear back up on the B&S forum for the same price you sold for.

Sometimes it's good to know when to cut your loses with a hobby that you aren't vibing with for some reason. However, if you don't need the money, holding on to the gear while taking a break might give you a chance to realize what interests you most about photography. I take 6 month breaks here and there, it helps keep my creativity fresh.

Jun 23, 2022 at 04:04 PM
jli.jon
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Best approach to selling Fuji gear?

I have 30+ feedback here mostly from buying and selling fuji gear over the years. Search your lenses/cameras and see what recent prices they have sold for. Price similarly and dont forget the cost of shipping and 3% PP fees. I dont like the big dealers either or ebay because of how little you get back. Never had any issues with people selling here.

Jun 24, 2022 at 02:35 AM
Joseph.
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Best approach to selling Fuji gear?

Having used several systems now, I am shocked at how cheap Fuji gear is. They are also plentiful and don't sell like hot cakes like Nikon and especially Leica. It's so hard to believe how something this good can cost so cheap. Just list your items at a price where it's reasonable for the buyers and also reasonable for you. List them piece by piece instead of as a lot. If you don't need the money urgently then list and then leave them listed. Eventually someone will bite. If you want to move them fast, shave 50% and get ready to take a bath, but you'll sell them quick.

Jun 29, 2022 at 04:36 PM
BnG-Murphy

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Best approach to selling Fuji gear?

I just started using MPB in the UK. Not sure what other countries they are in. I was delighted with the price paid (one quote/payment even went up as I included a half case). The ease of sending the cameras and lenses is great. You just get a quote, box the gear up and they come and collect it for free.

Of course you should get more money somewhere like here with private sales, but for cheap gear it worked a charm (switched system). I sold one lens on eBay as it wasn't in their database and it was more difficult, plus you have to worry about feedback and stuff with eBay.

If I were to sell medium to expensive gear I would try this website, but for getting rid of several cheaper items MPB was a breeze.

Jul 13, 2022 at 06:47 PM
mdude85
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Best approach to selling Fuji gear?

I like to post here, on the B&S forum. Lots of eyeballs, people who know the right questions to ask and will not scam you.

I would first try to sell everything in one thread, but if that is not generating enough eyeballs, then you can break it up into individual posts, maybe selling 1-2 lenses per post.

Selling your gear is not radical. If you regret it, you can always buy it again. It's not a rare piece of art nor does it appear to have sentimental value to you.

Jul 13, 2022 at 07:11 PM

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password