Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       end
  

sales - lots of X-Pro3, few X-Pro2

  
 
Daniel Smith
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · sales - lots of X-Pro3, few X-Pro2


Watching the sale sections here and a few other sites.
Am seeing a lot of X-Pro3 bodies for sale.
Not many X-Pro2 bodies for sale.

Wondering why such a big difference?



Jun 20, 2022 at 10:45 AM
alphaphoenix
Online
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · sales - lots of X-Pro3, few X-Pro2


To each their own, but as a former X-Pro3 owner and current X-Pro2 owner, I knew the resale the value of the X-Pro3 was much, much greater. So, it was much easier to purchase and sell for exactly what I paid for here after GAS came and went like a fart in the wind, and I still have the X-Pro2.

Short story made shorter; I tried to force myself in liking the X-Pro3 obvious differences, but it checked marked the exact same boxes (no more, no less) as my X-Pro2.

If and when Fuji comes out with a X-Pro3 successor and follows an eccentric path that you either love or hate, I wouldn't mind an ISO dial in place of smaller LCD status screen similar to that of the Leica Typ 262.

Until the X-Pro3 successor and H2/HR comes to fruition, I'll be shooting with my X-Pro2.




Jun 20, 2022 at 11:22 AM
goodbokeh
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · sales - lots of X-Pro3, few X-Pro2


Daniel Smith wrote:
Watching the sale sections here and a few other sites.
Am seeing a lot of X-Pro3 bodies for sale.
Not many X-Pro2 bodies for sale.

Wondering why such a big difference?


XP2s aren't worth so much now, so selling them is more bother than it's worth. Also, a second backup body is a good thing to have. XP3 owners that are selling may be enticed by the new XH-2 line. Or the prospect of a XP4 with a new sensor and possible ibis has them wanting to sell their XP3 while the value is still high.



Jun 20, 2022 at 01:26 PM
gdanmitchell
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · sales - lots of X-Pro3, few X-Pro2


The "harder to sell older bodies" point above may be at least partially valid, but I think we do see equally old gear other sorts in B&S, right?

My view is that the XPro2 — which I use and chose to keep rather than upgrading to the XPro3 — is kind of the high point of the XPro line at this point.

The XPro3 brought some model improvements including a incremental move from 24MP to 26MP and perhaps some improvements to AF. But since the image quality of the 24MP sensor was already quite good, the sensor change didn't make that much of a difference.

The XPro3 also introduced some changes that seemed like downgrades to many XPro2 users. I know this is controversial and it sets off the XPro3 fans, but... quite a few folks thought that losing the real rear screen and replacing it with the little virtual film box thingie was both a step backwards and a marketing gimmick. The XPro3 is also a bit less capable in the OVF mode since it no longer has two magnification options.

To speculate a bit further, among buyers of the XPro 3 (a quite diverse group, no doubt) there may be at least a slightly higher percentage of folks who were focused on the lifestyle focus of the Fujifilm marketing regarding so-called pure photography and the like, and perhaps (?) such folks are a bit quicker to get bored and look for the Next Cool Thing?

Then again...

- often these "why is X selling (or not selling) much in forums now?" observations turn out to mean less than meets the eye, and sometimes may be less than rigorously tested.

- the XPro2 is just a really solid camera and folks are less inclined to upgrade it.

On other interesting thought, and I don't know what it might imply: There's no newer version of the XPro line for these sellers to upgrade to.



Jun 20, 2022 at 03:33 PM
CKrueger
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · sales - lots of X-Pro3, few X-Pro2


There always seems to be a steady stream of XPro3's for sale. It's a love-it-or-hate-it camera, and I think it's tough to judge which you'll be before you buy.

The XPro2 is no longer made, its value is depressed, and its traditional rear LCD has kept its popularity up. I don't think it's a matter of it being "too cheap to sell" so much as it is that the people who have them are hanging onto them.

If the XPro4 has a more traditional LCD arrangement, you'll likely see a lot of XPro2's hit the market.



Jun 22, 2022 at 10:58 AM
genjy
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · sales - lots of X-Pro3, few X-Pro2


Yeah, that screen makes it love it or hate it. I personally love the hidden screen concept because relying on the VF adds more fun and immersion to casual shooting. I enjoy using my X-T4 the same way with the flip screen facing down. I also find having a big screen front and center can build bad habits and result in missing good shots.

CKrueger wrote:
There always seems to be a steady stream of XPro3's for sale. It's a love-it-or-hate-it camera, and I think it's tough to judge which you'll be before you buy.

The XPro2 is no longer made, its value is depressed, and its traditional rear LCD has kept its popularity up. I don't think it's a matter of it being "too cheap to sell" so much as it is that the people who have them are hanging onto them.

If the XPro4 has a more traditional LCD arrangement, you'll likely see a lot of XPro2's hit the market.




Jun 22, 2022 at 11:18 AM
gdanmitchell
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · sales - lots of X-Pro3, few X-Pro2


CKrueger wrote:
If the XPro4 has a more traditional LCD arrangement, you'll likely see a lot of XPro2's hit the market.


If Fujifilm introduces a XPro4 with a screen setup more like that on the XPro2 (though, obviously, with some kind of flip/fold design) instead of what is on the XPro3, I'm virtually certain to buy one to replace/augment by XPro2.



Jun 22, 2022 at 03:33 PM
CKrueger
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · sales - lots of X-Pro3, few X-Pro2


I think an XPro4 with the screen from the XT4, but with the mini e-ink display on the back would be a perfect setup. Not to shoot with the LCD popped out, or to use as a variable-angle display, but because it’s a really efficient way to make it look both like an XPro2 and XPro3.

My XT4 looks really nice with the LCD flipped in.



Jun 23, 2022 at 06:51 AM
Sauseschritt
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · sales - lots of X-Pro3, few X-Pro2


I just want a GFX-Pro, really.



Jun 23, 2022 at 08:03 AM
esanchez
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · sales - lots of X-Pro3, few X-Pro2


I tried both the Xpro-3 and X-pro2 and sold the X-pro 3 because of the rear screen. I found myself too many times pulling down the screen that I got annoyed. Great camera, but to me the rear screen was a deal breaker. I prefer to use my X-pro2 90% of what the X-pro 3 is with a rear screen I can quickly access. I'm hoping the X-pro4 has similar ISO dials and rear screen like the 100V.


Jun 23, 2022 at 08:34 AM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

gdanmitchell
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · sales - lots of X-Pro3, few X-Pro2


esanchez wrote:
I tried both the Xpro-3 and X-pro2 and sold the X-pro 3 because of the rear screen. I found myself too many times pulling down the screen that I got annoyed. Great camera, but to me the rear screen was a deal breaker. I prefer to use my X-pro2 90% of what the X-pro 3 is with a rear screen I can quickly access. I'm hoping the X-pro4 has similar ISO dials and rear screen like the 100V.


The truth of the matter is that there are real, important reasons to have immediate access to the rear screen at times with a camera like the XPro... and without having to fold out a screen.

The ideal setup for me would be something like what I see on my wife's Canon R, where the screen is visible in the "stowed" position (like the fixed rear screen on the XPro2), but it can also be reversed (for those folks who don't find the turning the screen off is sufficient), flipped out and up/down (for high/low camera position shooting, and flipped forward (to keep the selfie folks happy).

For the way I shoot, I'd be fine with a screen that just works in the stowed (facing back) position and tilts up/down.

In order to please the folks who think they need the info in the little XPro3 square screen, there are two fine options. One is to offer an alternate view on the rear screen that shows the same info in a small square in the center of the screen while blacking out the rest of it. Another option is to fit a very. small "always-on" monochrome display on the top plate, as we see on some other Fujifilm cameras.

Dan



Jun 23, 2022 at 10:14 AM
gdanmitchell
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · sales - lots of X-Pro3, few X-Pro2


^^^
OK, that is bizarre. I am unable to see my own post above. Confusing. I see the poster that I'm replying to...

Here is my post without the reference to a previous poster, so the I can see what I wrote:

The truth of the matter is that there are real, important reasons to have immediate access to the rear screen at times with a camera like the XPro... and without having to fold out a screen.

The ideal setup for me would be something like what I see on my wife's Canon R, where the screen is visible in the "stowed" position (like the fixed rear screen on the XPro2), but it can also be reversed (for those folks who don't find the turning the screen off is sufficient), flipped out and up/down (for high/low camera position shooting, and flipped forward (to keep the selfie folks happy).

For the way I shoot, I'd be fine with a screen that just works in the stowed (facing back) position and tilts up/down.

In order to please the folks who think they need the info in the little XPro3 square screen, there are two fine options. One is to offer an alternate view on the rear screen that shows the same info in a small square in the center of the screen while blacking out the rest of it. Another option is to fit a very. small "always-on" monochrome display on the top plate, as we see on some other Fujifilm cameras.

Dan



Jun 23, 2022 at 10:17 AM
dmacmillan
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · sales - lots of X-Pro3, few X-Pro2


goodbokeh wrote:
XP2s aren't worth so much now, so selling them is more bother than it's worth. Also, a second backup body is a good thing to have. XP3 owners that are selling may be enticed by the new XH-2 line. Or the prospect of a XP4 with a new sensor and possible ibis has them wanting to sell their XP3 while the value is still high.

Interesting viewpoint. I searched at the usual places - FM, eBay, Roberts Camera, KEH and B&H and XP2s are hard to come by and prices are up. Also, XP1s and XE1s have become cult cameras and their prices are higher than XT1s.

I wouldn't think XP owners would be in the market for H2 or a newer T3. I've used X-E, X-T, H1 and X-Pro cameras and the X-Pro experience is completely different than using an H or T.



Jun 23, 2022 at 11:35 AM
esanchez
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · sales - lots of X-Pro3, few X-Pro2


I agree from the older X cameras the X-pro2 seems to have hold it's value better than the H or T line. And you are correct about the XP1 and XE1 developing a cult following and fetch higher prices. Maybe the X-Pro3 will become one of these cameras, but not right now.


Jun 23, 2022 at 12:17 PM
gdanmitchell
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · sales - lots of X-Pro3, few X-Pro2


dmacmillan wrote:
Interesting viewpoint. I searched at the usual places - FM, eBay, Roberts Camera, KEH and B&H and XP2s are hard to come by and prices are up. Also, XP1s and XE1s have become cult cameras and their prices are higher than XT1s.

I wouldn't think XP owners would be in the market for H2 or a newer T3. I've used X-E, X-T, H1 and X-Pro cameras and the X-Pro experience is completely different than using an H or T.


To generalize, I think that XPro users _tend_ to fit one of (and sometimes both of) two categories:

1. The specialized classic "street photographer" orientation. The rangefinder style body, the OVF option, and the reasonably small size work well here. The XPro is successful here because it both a) is highly functional for this kind of photography and b) it appeals to folks who have a predilection for thinking of themselves in those terms, if you get my drift.

2. Photographers who want an extremely versatile camera. Most people don't realize this, but there is no more flexible camera design from Fujifilm. Put a small prime on it and you have a street camera. Put a big zoom on it and it does what the XT models do.

I agree that the typical XPro person is not likely to be a XT or XH person. We might settle for one of those if the XPro line doesn't get back on track and move forward, but those body designs are not our preference. (I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with those cameras, by the way — just highlighting that their virtues are not so in line with what a typical XPro user might want.)

I think that the XPro2 has become a sort of "classic" Fujifilm camera. It took the great concept of the XPro1 and refined and improved it significantly, to the point that it was regarded as a worthy upgrade by lots of folks. The fact that the XPro3 took away some useful features from the XPro2 and only very marginally improved the sensor and camera performance contributed to the continuing reputation of the XPro2. (The only flaw I see on the XPro2 is that issue with the rubber eyepiece.)

Dan



Jun 23, 2022 at 02:09 PM
Daniel Smith
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · sales - lots of X-Pro3, few X-Pro2


gdanmitchell wrote:
To generalize, I think that XPro users _tend_ to fit one of (and sometimes both of) two categories:

1. The specialized classic "street photographer" orientation. The rangefinder style body, the OVF option, and the reasonably small size work well here. The XPro is successful here because it both a) is highly functional for this kind of photography and b) it appeals to folks who have a predilection for thinking of themselves in those terms, if you get my drift.

2. Photographers who want an extremely versatile camera. Most people don't realize this, but there is no more flexible camera design from Fujifilm.
...Show more

(The only flaw I see on the XPro2 is that issue with the rubber eyepiece.)

-------------------------------

I see one other and it has me frustrated. The lack of Focus Bracketing/Stacking added via firmware updates. They did it with the other bodies of this generation. But Fuji says "users of this camera don't need it/won't use it". Pure BS. I would use it. So would others. We don't want to carry the bigger bodies to get this.




Jun 25, 2022 at 12:32 PM
gdanmitchell
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · sales - lots of X-Pro3, few X-Pro2


Daniel Smith wrote:
I see one other and it has me frustrated. The lack of Focus Bracketing/Stacking added via firmware updates. They did it with the other bodies of this generation. But Fuji says "users of this camera don't need it/won't use it". Pure BS. I would use it. So would others. We don't want to carry the bigger bodies to get this.


Though I don't need the feature for the photography I do with the XPro2, I see your point — and it amplifies my idea of what makes the XPro concept so powerful. In other words, I agree.

It isn't that these cameras have a limited focus. It is that they are the MOST flexible and adaptable cameras that Fujifilm (or anyone, as far as I can tell) produces. They make great classic street photography cameras. But they also make fine cameras for just about any other sort of photography you would do with a Fujifilm APS-C camera.

By removing and/or leaving out useful features, Fujifilm compromises the capabilities of what is arguably their most capable and versatile camera design, and leaving those features out does absolutely nothing to make the XPro line more capable for the kinds of photography they envision us doing with it. Leaving out focus stacking, removing the rear display, using a less capable EVF, etc. don't help — they make the cameras less capable and less attractive.

Dan



Jun 25, 2022 at 01:54 PM
Desmolicious
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · sales - lots of X-Pro3, few X-Pro2


gdanmitchell wrote. Leaving out focus stacking, removing the rear display, using a less capable EVF, etc. don't help — they make the cameras less capable and less attractive.

Dan


The evf is less capable in the xpro3?



Jun 25, 2022 at 07:55 PM
gdanmitchell
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · sales - lots of X-Pro3, few X-Pro2


Desmolicious wrote:
The evf is less capable in the xpro3?


I stand corrected. It looks like the XPro3 EVF is the same as the XT4 EVF. Thanks for catching that.

Dan



Jun 25, 2022 at 10:15 PM
Nick Dakota
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · sales - lots of X-Pro3, few X-Pro2


I would think anything more current would have more sale options than previous generations. That's the same for all brands. Look at any B&S board, you'll see a ton of current items for sale. Everyone knows what the old models do for the most part, while every one wants to try the newer gear. It has nothing to do with which one is better.


Jul 02, 2022 at 12:16 PM
1
       2       end






FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password