Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2022 · Best outdoors backpack with backpanel access for hiking/outdoors photogr...

TravelinBriNY
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Best outdoors backpack with backpanel access for hiking/outdoors photography

I have long given up on dedicated photobacks for trekking - as they don't have high quality frames - and am looking for the perfect outdoors pack that I can combine with an ICU. I tried the Osprey snowboarding pack and didn't like how the suspension fit me (and I usually love Osprey packs); and now have the Deuter Freescape 40 and Big Agnes Prosepctor 50 waiting for me, I will keep one or none. In a perfect world this would be closer to a 65 liter pack.

If none work for me - especially as none of these have the best suspensions in terms of ventilation - I will probably give up and move to a front panel access backpack, as these have become more and more common (I believe both the new Gregory Baltoro and Osprey Aether and Atmos units have them). I prefer the back panel as it makes more sense to lay the backpack down on its top and unpack your gear - and its also better in terms of controlling theft in crowds - but I can work around these if I absolutely need to.

What are others using?

Jun 19, 2022 at 08:51 PM
Bacalhau
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Best outdoors backpack with backpanel access for hiking/outdoors photography

Gregory Targhee 45l
Backpanel access, but does not have water bottle side pockets, and only one belt pocket.
Missing too are harness d-rings
Despite all this, handles weight well but alas, typical of snowpacks it will feel warm in the summer.
The other issues can get fixed
So, if ventilation is a big issue, stay away from snowpack and pretty much any rear access panel bag/pack

Jun 19, 2022 at 10:37 PM
GroovyGeek
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Best outdoors backpack with backpanel access for hiking/outdoors photography

Bacalhau wrote:
Gregory Targhee 45l
Backpanel access, but does not have water bottle side pockets, and only one belt pocket.
Missing too are harness d-rings
Despite all this, handles weight well but alas, typical of snowpacks it will feel warm in the summer.
The other issues can get fixed
So, if ventilation is a big issue, stay away from snowpack and pretty much any rear access panel bag/pack

Similar observations with the The Osprey Kamber 40L, has a very nice curved back panel that allows air movement. Have been doing a local hike with it - 12mi RT, 3000ft elevation gain -1000ft loss on the way out, 75F to 80F temperature. Did not feel hot or stuffy. Misses side pockets and the belt clips are a bit of a hassle.

Recently tested and purchased the Shimoda X50. Actually quite nice, feels much nicer than F-stop though the hip belt is underpowered. I am trying to buy the X70 hip belt from them but like most small companies the customer service is quite poor.

Finally there is a new kid on the block that looks interesting
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1755404/0#15957596

Jun 20, 2022 at 01:06 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Best outdoors backpack with backpanel access for hiking/outdoors photography

The new kid suffers from what the rest do, The solid back (molded compressed foam) panel. This is the basic structure that you find in all of them. along with essentially the same frame structure.

in addition, its not that new either. been around for nearly two plus years that i have seen. just no one noticed.

positive factor, easily removable hip belt on the 36 and above that you can stuff in the bag while in suitcase mode. also the side handle for that mode.

no details on the Aluminum frame but i have a feeling it is pretty much the same bent rod inverted U design like my f-stop. give it a curve here and there and you can now use the term "ergonomic". there are limitations to the "box" design especially if one wants to put in another box in that box (ICU).

Mystery Ranch has a much better design harness assy as a straight pack goes. but again, it is designed primarily for load bearing and balance which comes in compromise with open back stressed mesh designs.

Jun 20, 2022 at 05:35 AM
Bacalhau
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Best outdoors backpack with backpanel access for hiking/outdoors photography

sjms wrote:
The new kid suffers from what the rest do, The solid back (molded compressed foam) panel. This is the basic structure that you find in all of them. along with essentially the same frame structure.

in addition, its not that new either. been around for nearly two plus years that i have seen. just no one noticed.

positive factor, easily removable hip belt on the 36 and above that you can stuff in the bag while in suitcase mode. also the side handle for that mode.

no details on the Aluminum frame but i have a feeling it is pretty much the same
...Show more

which model is this one? trying to get a better Idea of the hip belt, as it's attached to side edge, but I see too an extra piece inside.
Thanks

I don't think the rear access panel will ever provide a flawless solution - it's a compromised approach
Maybe if the zipper was moved from the back to 'after the frame' and then make have a sub panel opening - envision sort of a flap- opening (side zip opening 3 sides) bag mounted on a semi-rigid frame ...

Jun 20, 2022 at 12:40 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Best outdoors backpack with backpanel access for hiking/outdoors photography

no, its not attached other than the center portion via hook and loop and then via wings and belt assy.

the interior has 2 CF flexible rods

the back has an infinite adjustable shoulder strap assy.

Mystery Ranch Gallatin peak 40.

it is a pretty simple design that works.

Jun 20, 2022 at 01:18 PM
Bacalhau
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Best outdoors backpack with backpanel access for hiking/outdoors photography

sjms wrote:
no, its not attached other than the center portion via hook and loop and then via wings and belt assy.

the interior has 2 CF flexible rods

the back has an infinite adjustable shoulder strap assy.

Mystery Ranch Gallatin peak 40.

it is a pretty simple design that works.

Thanks

Jun 20, 2022 at 02:00 PM
TravelinBriNY
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Best outdoors backpack with backpanel access for hiking/outdoors photography

Yes, it is hard to get a ventilated suspension on a back panel access pack. I will give the Deuter and the Big Agnes a try, but I may eventually give in and go with front panel access, which so many bags have these days. Eyeing the new Gregory Baltoro 100 Pro for big trips outdoor with photo gear and camping gear...

Jun 20, 2022 at 02:10 PM
Bacalhau
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Best outdoors backpack with backpanel access for hiking/outdoors photography

TravelinBriNY wrote:
Yes, it is hard to get a ventilated suspension on a back panel access pack. I will give the Deuter and the Big Agnes a try, but I may eventually give in and go with front panel access, which so many bags have these days. Eyeing the new Gregory Baltoro 100 Pro for big trips outdoor with photo gear and camping gear...

There was a manufacturer that had front opening zippers - I believe called D or C access panel - in their packs.
Kelty Redwing tactical sort of does that, but not the one I recall...
The harness and belt are going to get dusty/muddy ofcourse

Jun 20, 2022 at 03:54 PM
TravelinBriNY
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Best outdoors backpack with backpanel access for hiking/outdoors photography

Yes, if I choose to go with a front opening zipper the options are quite extensive, however - as you note - that is a less natural way to put down and unload your pack on a long trek. Also leaves you somewhat more vulnerable to theft and/or your gear getting banged up. I am not adamantly against it, but prefer the back panel access.

Jun 20, 2022 at 10:43 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Best outdoors backpack with backpanel access for hiking/outdoors photography

Also leaves you somewhat more vulnerable to theft and/or your gear getting banged up.

vulnerability to theft: the variables here are near unlimited no matter where the openings are in reality. that reality is how determined the "thief" is. this opens up a whole can of worms on methods used from basic subterfuge to overt violence.

on gear getting banged up: front open or back open no real difference. its how you pack it

Jun 21, 2022 at 04:31 AM
TravelinBriNY
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Best outdoors backpack with backpanel access for hiking/outdoors photography

sjms wrote:
on gear getting banged up: front open or back open no real difference. its how you pack it

The assumption is you pack the gear so it is quickly accessible. The back panel offers more protection than the front, plus the backpack straps create a natural buffer. Sure - proper care wins out over all - but Id be hard pressed to agree that easily accessible gear near the panel opening isn't more vulnerable by the front panel that it is on the back panel

Jun 21, 2022 at 11:54 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Best outdoors backpack with backpanel access for hiking/outdoors photography

TravelinBriNY wrote:
I have long given up on dedicated photobacks for trekking - as they don't have high quality frames - and am looking for the perfect outdoors pack that I can combine with an ICU. I tried the Osprey snowboarding pack and didn't like how the suspension fit me (and I usually love Osprey packs); and now have the Deuter Freescape 40 and Big Agnes Prosepctor 50 waiting for me, I will keep one or none. In a perfect world this would be closer to a 65 liter pack.

If none work for me - especially as none of these have the
...Show more

I posted a thread here a while back on the Lowe-Alpine Cerro Torre 65+20 (now owned by, or in cooperation with, Rab it seems).
https:// copy/paste & delete this spacing rab.equipment/us/lowe-alpine-cerro-torre-65-85

It's not a light pack at 2.9kgs but it carries beautifully and has the right access modes for a photographer carrying a lot of gear (camping/hiking/photography). Check out the text in the post here but note that as I no longer use Smugmug, having developed my own website at thedragonsfather (add the usual .com), then the linked images are no longer visible : https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1660431/0

Although the Cerro Torre has a U shaped front opening it is well protected having a pocket situated over the opening (where I stuff my rain jacket and pants).

I don't have this review on my website (maybe I should add it) but there is one on the Boreas Lost Coast 45L & 60L packs in the Blog where I do mention the Lowe-Alpine. If you are looking for a larger pack (as you mentioned) then 40-50L packs simply won't do. The Boreas Coast (60L) is worth a look (model no longer available - maybe they have a new version) as a lighter alternative that also carries very well and is super adaptable for quick access to a camera w. lens attached (even though not having any side/back/front access) via the amazing exterior stretchy pockets.

----------------

This was my final post in the thread above on the Cerro Torre 65+20

FINAL UPDATE : Lowe-Alpine Cerro Torre 65+20.

What a great/lucky decision it was to go with this bag ! It carried the 20-23kgs (depending on amount of food/water) superbly. Of course I felt the weight but over 21 days, and certainly, at the very least, over 200 kms, of mountain hiking, I didn't feel any pain at all (a massive difference to the Deuter Futura TMP pack I tried).

Huge Pros
1. The Front Access panel letting me access my camera gear quickly whilst keeping it safe worked very well indeed. the pocket in the Front Access panel is where I kept my rain jacket which added padding to protect the contents of the bag (camera gear right beneath it) as well as the iPad that I slipped in behind the rain jacket.

2. The detachable lid, which converts quickly and easily (3 clips) by reversing into a 15L day pack, was invaluable on rest days in camp sites when I either wanted a small bag for camera gear (using a fleece for padding) or to carry around town for shopping.

3. Carry and padding were superb. No pain, ever. If I was ever uncomfortable then a couple of quick adjustments to redistribute the weight was all that was required.

4. Even with 23kgs of gear the pack was never close to full. The 65L would fill up but the extra 20L of the top sleeve always made packing easy.

5. The 3 sections (bottom section - tent, pad, stove, groundsheet & quilt ; middle section - 100-400G in a small bag, food, cameras & lenses in a small, cheap (€12), light & soft Chinese ICU ; top section - clothes, electronics and everything else) worked like a dream. I always knew where everything was and never once had to root around in a large bag looking for something.

6. The tripod packed very securely, alongside my hiking poles in their dedicated loops, on the side.

7. Cost (€190 - the most expensive pack I ordered/tried however compared to dedicated camera packs a veritable bargain) !

CONS - The weight of the bag at 2.9 kgs.

When I get home I'll be selling my largest pack I have, the Gregory Baltoro 75L, and keeping this one.

N.B.
The camera gear I took is in the photo in an earlier post above however to recap:
Sony 100-400G
A7r2 (most used)
A9
Loxia 21mm
Voigtlander Ultron 35/1.7
Benro 100mm filter holder (with polariser, 6 & 10 stop filters) & metal adapter rings.
Injue Travel Tripod & Leofoto Ballhead.

I frequently used every bit of this kit.

Jun 22, 2022 at 12:05 AM
TravelinBriNY
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Best outdoors backpack with backpanel access for hiking/outdoors photography

Thanks, good to hear stories of finding the right outdoors pack that can double hat for photography. I've never seen this model and its not widely available, but I will look at more reviews. I do think it crosses into thresholds held by other front panel packs - so then it becomes a question of fit, suspension, preference, size, etc., but as an outdoors lover I am always keen to study up on gear I don't know. Thanks for the recommendation

Jun 22, 2022 at 12:35 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Best outdoors backpack with backpanel access for hiking/outdoors photography

TravelinBriNY wrote:
The assumption is you pack the gear so it is quickly accessible. The back panel offers more protection than the front, plus the backpack straps create a natural buffer. Sure - proper care wins out over all - but Id be hard pressed to agree that easily accessible gear near the panel opening isn't more vulnerable by the front panel that it is on the back panel

oh, i make few assumptions with my time spent out and about. i guess your experiences and time will tell for you.

Jun 22, 2022 at 03:52 AM
Bacalhau
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Best outdoors backpack with backpanel access for hiking/outdoors photography

TravelinBriNY wrote:

Luckily never had such experience of being robbed, but form reading elsewhere, seems that often is the blunt gun/knife in-your-face approach or cut or grab straps and run - the moped/motorbike approach was quite popular for a while in certain countries...

I see many people keeping their packs onto their backs inside public transportation - aside of stupid and inconsiderate for other people, as eventually that pack will be in the way or bumping against other people, yes, in crowded situations lightening fast and nimble fingers can work their "magic" on those rear zippers and pockets

So, in that case has Steve noted, rear or front access panel matters so little - the moment you bring that camera out, you can become a target and theft could be just a matter of timed opportunity

Similar feeling about the super-padded camera bags - they really place way too much padding, and so few are concerned about having an abrasion and water resistant fabric and zippers. Not saying that no padding should exist - is just excessive in many cases.
Drop the bag from 3 or 4 feet onto concrete, and aside from direct scratches/bruises, it's very likely the gear inside will suffer considerable damage.

Jun 22, 2022 at 09:19 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Best outdoors backpack with backpanel access for hiking/outdoors photography

i am a born and bred New Yorker. decades ago, i worked all hours in Manhattan. lots of interesting sites and people during the "late" hours. not the safest environment to say the least. even back then NYC was safer than a lot of places i have ended up in more recent times. where i have my domicile in NJ is pretty near dead quiet to say the least. after all it is the "garden state"

Jun 22, 2022 at 09:45 AM
Bacalhau
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Best outdoors backpack with backpanel access for hiking/outdoors photography

sjms wrote:
i am a born and bred New Yorker. decades ago, i worked all hours in Manhattan. lots of interesting sites and people during the "late" hours. even back then NYC was safer than a lot of places i have ended up in more recent times. where i have my domicile in NJ is pretty near dead quiet to to say the least. after all it is the "garden state"

hmmm..not much of a garden in Newark and surroundings imo
Yes, central NJ is pretty quiet unless you are at the shore in the summertime - now, northern 'Jaysee", by Penn and NY state lines, one feels that crossed into a 5th dimension - it's pretty and isolated up there
- yes, lived outside Tarrytown and then Point Pleasant Beach - I recall 42nd and northern avenues back in the very early 90's and how it become so different after the Mickey Mouse took hold in Times Square area...still felt safer walking at 1am neat TS a couple years ago than daytime here in Portland.

Truth yes, prowlers can spot a tourist very easily, and better yet a camera bag type (brand's logo make things even more obvious ofcourse)

Jun 22, 2022 at 11:15 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Best outdoors backpack with backpanel access for hiking/outdoors photography

you haven't been where i live. it's quite nice. only 1.5 acres. almost good enough for Ultimate Disk workouts

Jun 22, 2022 at 11:39 AM
alemmo
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Best outdoors backpack with backpanel access for hiking/outdoors photography

If you decide on front access check out the Deuter Trail Pro 36, i picked one up on Sierra Trading for $99 last month. Has a nice large D shaped zipper access to the front, inside it fits a Peak Design medium cube perfectly. YOu also have top load access as well. Very good ventilated back and suspension.

I live in a hot humid environment so the back panel access bags have always been a big no for me.

Jun 22, 2022 at 01:43 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.