New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Lightest / stable setup for family portrait

rek101
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lightest / stable setup for family portrait

I have an einstein + vagabond mini+ 13' stand I use with with a 60" umbrella (brolly box) I like for family portraits. I usually place it about 4-6' away with my strobe at about 1/16 or 1/32nd power. While I like the setup, it's way too heavy to bring with me anywhere.

While I think I could get enough power from a speedlight, the stand is pretty heavy and the modifier would become a kite in the breeze even with a sand bag. Is there a setup that people use for family portraits outside or maybe on location that is smaller/lighter, but could still light three or four people?

I'd like to not make it look "lit' but just give me a little extra depth of field and maybe fill in some shadows.

Jun 19, 2022 at 11:37 AM
AmbientMike
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lightest / stable setup for family portrait

I'd think a speedlite should be fine on fill.

Rigged up ~8x12 piece of foam core one time that had a tab to put on the flash and attach using a bunch of rubber bands. Might be a good option although I doubt you need it really g or daylight

IDK much about studio lighting but 1/16 or less might be less than a full power, regular, on camera flash. My old 540EZ is really nice and powerful. Manual on dslr

Jun 20, 2022 at 11:31 AM
rek101
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lightest / stable setup for family portrait

Thanks. Maybe bouncing off foam core would be the way to go....a lot lighter than a softfbox and could be supported by a less beefy stand.

Jun 20, 2022 at 02:42 PM
jjasef
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lightest / stable setup for family portrait

I'm a fan of AD200 and Photek Softlighters. It's still an umbrella so you're not gonna get away from it being in the wind. However, if conditions are right.. I've used an assistant to hold up my rig on a painter's pole with a Kacey Pole adapter -- there really isn't nothing as "light" and mobile as an assistant if/when you can.

An example of what this combo can do:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BpR_-h_B-3B/

How I used ^ setup on a SF rooftop shoot:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CQwEE6HDOcA/

Jul 07, 2022 at 08:25 AM
rek101
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lightest / stable setup for family portrait

Thanks! Assuming I don't have the assistant, what's the minimum size stand do you think I could get away with using the ad200? I think of all the parts of this that really make it impossible to take with me, it's the stand.

Jul 07, 2022 at 10:02 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

story_teller
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lightest / stable setup for family portrait

Invest in a roller lighting case similar to this - https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1388900-REG/impact_lkb_r2_v2_light_kit_roller_bag.html

That way you can put stands, lights, umbrellas, batteries, SANDBAGS, and other needs in one bag. You won't need to get the cheapest, flimsy light stand available. With that roller and your camera bag you're all set. If you shoot outdoors, you will need sandbags or weights. Even a gentle breeze can be dangerous to a light and umbrella.

You can easily get by with an 8 - 10ft light stand for most portrait situations. Also, get a stand with the widest base. Shooting groups might require taller stands to light up additional rows.

Jul 10, 2022 at 10:19 AM
rek101
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lightest / stable setup for family portrait

Maybe that's the way to go. I wasn't thinking of using the lightest flimsiest option, but I think it's nice to know what you can get away with. For pros going to a real shoot, the situation is totally different than personal use. I think it if extended to six to 8' I'd be fine, and I'd be using a 4' modifier. If it was windy, I'd probably not try it, but maybe a 5mph breeze would be ok. Once I liked the setup, I'd invest in a bag to transport it.

Jul 10, 2022 at 04:15 PM
matsu131
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Lightest / stable setup for family portrait

I use a Costco folding wagon. It'll go almost anywhere and fits a lot of stuff.

Aug 09, 2022 at 05:47 PM
matsu131
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Lightest / stable setup for family portrait

For light and ultra portable I use an AD300 with AD-S85 on a nano stand.

Aug 09, 2022 at 05:51 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password