New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Japanese Maples

Camperjim
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Japanese Maples

In the Japanese gardens, Portland, Oregon, there is a iconic Japanese maple that is one of the most photographed trees in the US. In the Fall, when colors are peak, photographers line up 10 deep waiting for their turn to photograph this tree. Years ago I lined up and make a few photos.

Near where I live on Long Island there is an absolutely spectacular Japanese maple, at least twice the size of the one in Portland. I photograph it numerous times a year as the seasons change. There is only rarely someone else there and I have yet to see another photographer, not even a cellphone photographer.

Here are my last two pictures of this tree. Best looked at printed LARGE in keeping with the impressive size and complexity of the tree.

Jun 18, 2022 at 09:45 PM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Japanese Maples

Lovely images, Jim. Both well seen and taken.

I like the first one best for the vivid colors and the choice of the frame. I like the feel I get from it: relaxing.

The second image feels a bit to tight in the frame and contrary to the first one feels like it has more drama.
I think each image has its own merit and they work better if you don't try to compare them together at the same time. Well done.

Jun 18, 2022 at 11:00 PM
EverLearning
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Japanese Maples

Shasoc wrote:
Lovely images, Jim. Both well seen and taken.

I like the first one best for the vivid colors and the choice of the frame. I like the feel I get from it: relaxing.

The second image feels a bit to tight in the frame and contrary to the first one feels like it has more drama.
I think each image has its own merit and they work better if you don't try to compare them together at the same time. Well done.

+1 !!!

The first one certainly speaks to the power of vivid colours. One thing I did notice with the first one is that my eye is pulled to that bright, open spot on the left. It can be cropped away but that does change the feel of the image. The other options would be to clone in some foliage or crop and then slightly stretch the remaining image.

Don

Jun 19, 2022 at 09:18 AM
Nikonshooter24

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Japanese Maples

Really beautiful! I love the first one!!

Jul 14, 2022 at 07:56 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Japanese Maples

Thanks. I printed the first one and it is hanging over my desk. I used the second as rough inspiration for a pastel painting.

Jul 14, 2022 at 08:06 PM
Melor
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Japanese Maples

I am lost on both these images. In the first one I see a little sky, and is that ground with grass? I cannot place myself and have no perspective on the image. The colors are pretty. I can identify the image as a tree but are you in the tree? Standing below and shooting up? In a neighbor tree shooting to the one nearby?

The second image treats my brain the same way, except that I have no sky or ground to orient myself. Is that a single image? It looks like. blend of multiple images to me.

Paul

Jul 16, 2022 at 01:21 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Japanese Maples

Melor wrote:
Is that a single image? It looks like. blend of multiple images to me.

No blends, just a horizontal and a vertical shot from the ground. With exception of sharpening, etc, these are pretty much out of camera images. Yup, in the first image there is some sky and grass in the background.

I guess the complexity and visual confusion worked. To paraphrase Magritte, this is not a tree. Nor does it have to look like one.

Jul 16, 2022 at 06:31 PM
Melor
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Japanese Maples

Camperjim wrote:
No blends, just a horizontal and a vertical shot from the ground. With exception of sharpening, etc, these are pretty much out of camera images. Yup, in the first image there is some sky and grass in the background.

I guess the complexity and visual confusion worked. To paraphrase Magritte, this is not a tree. Nor does it have to look like one.

Finding the sky and ground should show you that I did look at these image for a while. Visual confusion worked on me! I can imagine a high res print would give the eyes a lot to focus on. At web resolution, these are hard for me to figure out.

Thanks for sharing.

Paul

Jul 16, 2022 at 07:00 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Japanese Maples

Paul, certainly there are a lot of images that do not work very well at small sizes. The printing guru, Keith Cooper, recently had a video on this topic. I printed the first image at 16x24 which is as large as I can print at home. I recently upgraded my computer to I believe the size is 27". Next time I might go even larger.

Jul 16, 2022 at 09:05 PM
Melor
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Japanese Maples

I am sure the image is gorgeous on paper... enjoy!

Paul

Jul 17, 2022 at 11:27 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Japanese Maples

Quite enjoyable, Jim.

Leaning towards my favorite of what I've seen from you outside the tight comp florals.

Jeff

Jul 18, 2022 at 09:24 PM
shelaqq

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Japanese Maples

Itís gorgeous!

Jul 30, 2022 at 05:11 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password