New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Beaver - part 2

EverLearning
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Beaver - part 2

Having spent a lot of time photographing beavers last fall and this spring I do have a few photos that I felt were worthy of posting here for critique. Here is the second one.

Thanks

Don

Canon EOS R5    EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM lens    400mm    f/5.6    1/800s    2000 ISO    +0.3 EV  

Jun 18, 2022 at 04:01 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Beaver - part 2

I think this is outstanding with plenty of very positive features. The star is the beaver who seems to be watching and about to speak. The golden light on the face helps.

The image has a sharp and crisp feeling that I like. There is a nice balance between the subject and the environment. The only negative I could find is the centered composition. I could not recommend a better crop without losing part of the beaver's tail.

Jun 18, 2022 at 05:03 PM
EverLearning
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Beaver - part 2

Thanks Jim. Yes, the tail. It left me scratching my head as well. It feels to me like there is merit to it being in the image, even though cropping the right side and losing it would position/balance the beaver a little better.

I guess one option is to use the PS feature (whose formal name escapes me right now) to stretch the image from just left of the beaver's nose to the left edge of the frame, thereby pushing the beaver more right of the (new) center.

Most of the beaver's mass is right of center, so I am unsure how much to concern myself with this. Does it feel like a nit or a bigger issue to you?

Don

Jun 18, 2022 at 06:03 PM
grandmas
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Beaver - part 2

There is some blue in the snow that I assume you want.

Comp looks good to me, maybe some more space on the right of the tail. Moving the beaver more to the right would make the image visually weighted on the right. I find it is more important to keep focal points out of the center as much as possible as that is where the viewers eyes come to rest.

Nice image.

Jun 18, 2022 at 08:20 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Beaver - part 2

EverLearning wrote:
Does it feel like a nit or a bigger issue to you?

Don

nit, something only another photographer would even consider.

Jun 18, 2022 at 09:23 PM
EverLearning
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Beaver - part 2

grandmas, I don't want the blue in the snow and I was able to remove a bit of it by tweaking temp and hilights, but some of that is from the challenge of a fair bit of beaver and branches effecting the snow exposure. Those tweaks did make it look better though. Thanks.

Jim, glad that it is more of a nit. Darn beaver tail.

Don

Jun 18, 2022 at 10:03 PM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Beaver - part 2

When it comes to cropping there is a lot of personal taste that plays an important role and I usually leave it to the OP' s choice unless they specifically ask.

I don't think the subject is centered. There is a lot more space in front of the beaver than in the back. There are, however, a couple of things that I am considering.

The first one is that the subject is to low in the frame. It feels to close to the bottom frame to my eyes. So, I would include more of the FG. But that , again, is just me.

The second is the tail tip looking like is cut out or at least touching the frame. That can be fixed in different ways depending on your choice. Putting it under water is one.

Except for those personal preferences the image looks fine and I like the setting. The exposure is good and detail are clean. May be brightening a bit the face. Nice job, Don.

This is how I see it.

Socrate

Jun 18, 2022 at 10:25 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password