Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       end
  

Laowa 105mm f/2 STF adapted to GFX50R

  
 
nafiz
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Laowa 105mm f/2 STF adapted to GFX50R


Accidently found this len could cover 44*33 sensor nicely, post some sample images here for reference.
The smooth bokeh is great at the midium format as well as at the FF.

https://imgur.com/a/vwW4YcF

Basically I think this is a great len for portrait, it could handle noisy background very well (of course you need to bear the thing that this len is a manul focus len).



Jun 18, 2022 at 10:44 AM
nafiz
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Laowa 105mm f/2 STF adapted to GFX50R


But I have to notice you that when focusing at near infinity, the image will show some vignetting.
It could be easly fixed at LR or Capture One tho.

https://imgur.com/a/hBBI26L



Jun 18, 2022 at 10:51 AM
leonasj
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Laowa 105mm f/2 STF adapted to GFX50R


nafiz wrote:
Accidently found this len could cover 44*33 sensor nicely, post some sample images here for reference.
The smooth bokeh is great at the midium format as well as at the FF.

https://imgur.com/a/vwW4YcF

Basically I think this is a great len for portrait, it could handle noisy background very well (of course you need to bear the thing that this len is a manul focus len).


how much payed for laowa 105/2? maybe better to buy samyang 135/2?



Jun 18, 2022 at 01:37 PM
ftllens
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Laowa 105mm f/2 STF adapted to GFX50R


looks great, ef mount?


Jun 18, 2022 at 09:17 PM
thrice
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Laowa 105mm f/2 STF adapted to GFX50R


The samyang is not an stf lens.

leonasj wrote:
how much payed for laowa 105/2? maybe better to buy samyang 135/2?




Jun 19, 2022 at 12:41 AM
nafiz
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Laowa 105mm f/2 STF adapted to GFX50R


Actually I don't know samyang could cover this sensor, but err, these two are not in the same focal length tho.

If samyang performs well I'll consider to try one, it cost a little bit less than the laowa.

Another problem is nailing the focus could be hard, right? 135 eq. about 105 in FF.



Jun 19, 2022 at 12:46 AM
nafiz
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Laowa 105mm f/2 STF adapted to GFX50R


ftllens wrote:
looks great, ef mount?


Yes, EF mount, but I think NF mount would be the same (maybe more dark corner due to the smaller mount calibre ?)



Jun 19, 2022 at 12:48 AM
ftllens
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Laowa 105mm f/2 STF adapted to GFX50R


okay, i went out and bought one and tested it on the 100 (ef mount and the previous owner tacked on some exif thing that says f2). it's so good lol

i didn't have the gf110 to compare it against so i just tested it against the gf120, but it's pretty sharp.

here is mfd
(stf f/2, t/3.2)
(stf f/2, t/8)
(stf f/4/ t/3.2)
(gf120 f/4)
(gf120 at mfd f/4, you can tell STF is smoother still even if gf120 had more FOV)
edit: i forgot i had the Rokinon SP/ Samyang XP f/1.2 series that covers the 33x44 pretty well (all of them except the 10mm which needs some hood surgery), here is the 85:
(rok 85 f/1.2)
(rok 85 f/1.2 mfd)

so in terms of absolute bokeh blast, 85 1.2 still is the most, but i prefer how the STF bokeh quality melts the background while retaining more context fidelity.

color wise gf was just touch warmer and more magenta per auto WB on all

C1 20: sharpening: A: 64, R: 0.8, T: 0.5

very minor exposure tweak, export 88 quality

i've always been impressed impressed by their UWAs, should've known their teles would be great too.

note: with Skylum Luminar NEO nowadays, you can choose the quality and intensity of bokeh now, but it's great to see it in camera to save time















































Jun 19, 2022 at 12:54 AM
nafiz
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Laowa 105mm f/2 STF adapted to GFX50R


Wow, so the Laowa STF definitely worth a using.

Thanks for your test!



Jun 19, 2022 at 10:35 AM
leonasj
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Laowa 105mm f/2 STF adapted to GFX50R


nafiz wrote:
Actually I don't know samyang could cover this sensor, but err, these two are not in the same focal length tho.

If samyang performs well I'll consider to try one, it cost a little bit less than the laowa.

Another problem is nailing the focus could be hard, right? 135 eq. about 105 in FF.


gf120 sharpest vs laowa105 at every aperture/?

Edited on Jun 19, 2022 at 02:23 PM · View previous versions



Jun 19, 2022 at 11:34 AM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

ftllens
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Laowa 105mm f/2 STF adapted to GFX50R


yes, definitely. i don't think there is better alternative than this especially at this price point.

there is the minolta 135mm that jimkasson posted that looks great too, tho i like this FL a touch more.

they should make this into native gfx mount with simple exif support (lens name/aperture)

differences will be more pronounced with foliage or dense backgrounds, even with the 85 1.2 the nature of diffusion is more gradient and pleasant with the stf

with gfx the light reduction doesn't matter as much due its stellar noise handling and pattern.



Jun 19, 2022 at 02:17 PM
leonasj
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Laowa 105mm f/2 STF adapted to GFX50R


ftllens wrote:
yes, definitely. i don't think there is better alternative than this especially at this price point.

there is the minolta 135mm that jimkasson posted that looks great too, tho i like this FL a touch more.

they should make this into native gfx mount with simple exif support (lens name/aperture)

differences will be more pronounced with foliage or dense backgrounds, even with the 85 1.2 the nature of diffusion is more gradient and pleasant with the stf

with gfx the light reduction doesn't matter as much due its stellar noise handling and pattern.

400usd good price for new boxed laowa 105/2stf ?



Jun 20, 2022 at 02:34 AM
ftllens
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Laowa 105mm f/2 STF adapted to GFX50R


yeah i think that's alright, i just got a local used one that was kinda beat up outside but glass good for under 300


Jun 20, 2022 at 04:14 AM
ftllens
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Laowa 105mm f/2 STF adapted to GFX50R


some more around the house. this chip thing stores f stop (i just have to move the dial to match what it's set at) but still posts it as the 63Kmm lol

all at f2 just adjusted exposure and reduced some highlights in some shots, nothing else

i heard the gfx kinda working hard for IBIS so i just shut it off

definitely lower contrast (tho i lower contrast anyway in post usually), most shots my usual -1.3ev















































Jun 21, 2022 at 02:32 PM
nafiz
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Laowa 105mm f/2 STF adapted to GFX50R


Your pictures looks great! Showing how the background render so well with this lens.
But may I ask which adapter you used? Since seems my fringer doesn't read anything from the chip of the lens.



Jun 21, 2022 at 09:13 PM
ftllens
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Laowa 105mm f/2 STF adapted to GFX50R


thanks, i have the steelsring v3 (with the blue colored weather sealing ring). fringer is probably better for AF adapted, but i've had no issues with this steelsring v3 for almost a year.


Jun 21, 2022 at 09:31 PM
leonasj
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Laowa 105mm f/2 STF adapted to GFX50R


ftllens wrote:
some more around the house. this chip thing stores f stop (i just have to move the dial to match what it's set at) but still posts it as the 63Kmm lol

all at f2 just adjusted exposure and reduced some highlights in some shots, nothing else

i heard the gfx kinda working hard for IBIS so i just shut it off

definitely lower contrast (tho i lower contrast anyway in post usually), most shots my usual -1.3ev


how works stf/ and for what is made?



Jun 22, 2022 at 01:15 AM
ftllens
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Laowa 105mm f/2 STF adapted to GFX50R


it just stores the f stop in the exif if you set it as so on the camera (not sure why it's not showing up as 105mm tho for the FL when I put it on the mount adapter setting in cam)


Jun 22, 2022 at 01:23 AM
blessingx
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Laowa 105mm f/2 STF adapted to GFX50R


Thanks for the samples. As it has aperture ring(s-ish) anyone know if it can be used with an dumb EF->GF adapter?


Jun 26, 2022 at 10:13 PM
nafiz
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Laowa 105mm f/2 STF adapted to GFX50R


blessingx wrote:
Thanks for the samples. As it has aperture ring(s-ish) anyone know if it can be used with an dumb EF->GF adapter?


Yes definitely, actually this is the way.

I attached a sticker on my Fringer to isolate the adapter's chip and the camera to prevent camera reading the wrong FL of the len becuase Fringer doesn't identify this len.

Other mount of this len dosen't even have a chip on so I guess you can consider this as a full manual len.



Jun 26, 2022 at 11:08 PM
1
       2       end






FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password