New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

The strong bonds of a (beaver) mother/child

EverLearning
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · The strong bonds of a (beaver) mother/child

I spent a lot of time last fall and this spring photographing this beaver family (two adults and three young ones) near our place. It is rather challenging in that they only came out for about 45 minutes before it was too dark to shoot even with the Canon R5, and I don't have fast glass. A lot of photos in the ISO 5000 to 12800 range. I haven't run this one through NR yet as I thought I would do that after whatever suggestions I receive and encorporate.

Thanks for the feedback.

Don

PS. shot from my belly, crawling across snow so as to not be detected. Elbows were my tripod.

Canon EOS R5    EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM lens    400mm    f/6.3    1/125s    10000 ISO    +0.3 EV  

Jun 17, 2022 at 01:18 PM
grandmas
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · The strong bonds of a (beaver) mother/child

Two cute.

I made some very slight color changes, the tail was blue along with some fur and nose.

I would also like to see a little more negative space on the bottom and maybe a bit more at the top.

Edited on Jul 14, 2022 at 10:52 PM · View previous versions

Jun 17, 2022 at 08:53 PM
EverLearning
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · The strong bonds of a (beaver) mother/child

grandmas, your repost looks slightly green on my monitor. I wonder how both mine and yours look to others? Is your monitor recently calibrated?

Jun 18, 2022 at 09:18 AM
grandmas
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · The strong bonds of a (beaver) mother/child

The sky color in my original might be what is bothering you as it is a green blue. You might prefer this version, not a lot of difference. I don't think the rest of the image is effected by the sky color in either of the examples since I corrected the tail, nose and sky separately.

Edited on Jul 14, 2022 at 10:52 PM · View previous versions

Jun 18, 2022 at 12:16 PM
EverLearning
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · The strong bonds of a (beaver) mother/child

Thanks for the follow-up grandmas.

Don

Jun 18, 2022 at 12:54 PM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · The strong bonds of a (beaver) mother/child

Another sweet shot, Don. Flip it horizontally and you will have a pose similar to the deer shot
Not much to say. One thing that bothers me is that grey oof "something"at the bottom. I would cover with some of those straws.

I have never seen those guys so I can't help with the color even though the color in the last one of GM feels more natural.

Socrate

BTW Did you try the new update? Now you can finally invert the top mask in LR and CR w/o having to invert every single mask component. Actually now you can duplicate and invert the mask with one click. You can even paste the mask on other images and save a mask as a preset. Well done Adobe!

Jun 18, 2022 at 01:37 PM
EverLearning
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · The strong bonds of a (beaver) mother/child

Socrate, good point about the grey OOF ice in the bottom right. I contemplated cloning in straw grass but thought it would look unnatural because there would be a clear line of "disconnected" straw (existing/new). How would you approach this - clone tool, manual cloning, duplicate layer shifted,

Thanks

Don

Jun 18, 2022 at 01:42 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

grandmas
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · The strong bonds of a (beaver) mother/child

I have found that when I do color samples I get a better look when I make them larger like the examples below.

Some photographers like all the blue in their images and some photographers do not. When I shoot wildlife I prefer not to have the blue, comes down to opinions. I like to show what they might look like without the blue for others to decide.

Edited on Jul 14, 2022 at 10:51 PM · View previous versions

Jun 18, 2022 at 01:52 PM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · The strong bonds of a (beaver) mother/child

EverLearning wrote:
Socrate, good point about the grey OOF ice in the bottom right. I contemplated cloning in straw grass but thought it would look unnatural because there would be a clear line of "disconnected" straw (existing/new). How would you approach this - clone tool, manual cloning, duplicate layer shifted,

Thanks

Don

I would say to just clone it on a separate layer using the clone tool. Than you can blur that layer a bit to make look as a oof FG. Something like this done really quick. Clone it finding a source that has the same pattern of the adjacent area to avoid disconnection.

Socrate

Jun 18, 2022 at 03:01 PM
EverLearning
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · The strong bonds of a (beaver) mother/child

Thanks Socrate. I will give that a go.

Don

Jun 18, 2022 at 03:16 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · The strong bonds of a (beaver) mother/child

Crawling into position through the snow! The sacrifices you make for your art. That's why I can't be a wildlife photographer. Bravo!

Jun 20, 2022 at 12:08 AM
EverLearning
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · The strong bonds of a (beaver) mother/child

AuntiePode, it's funny how we don't think too hard about something we are used to. Here in "The Great White North", I grew up my whole life with snow; played in it a lot as a kid and now marvel at how it can be beautiful when it is gently falling or how it blankets the ground (not so beautiful when one has to shovel it, but I digress). Now, the people who crawl on their bellies through wet mud and wood ticks to get the shot, they really impress me!

Jun 20, 2022 at 09:12 AM
EverLearning
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · The strong bonds of a (beaver) mother/child

Well, looking at the problem (the OOF ice in the bottom right) and the composition of the photo and the position/angle of the beavers, a very simple solution occurred to me - rotate the image a little bit. This got rid of most of the ice and, most importantly took the visible ice to the right of the bottom branches. It was very easy at this point to clone the bit remaining.

Here is the revised image.

Don

Canon EOS R5    EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM lens    400mm    f/6.3    1/125s    10000 ISO    +0.3 EV  

Jun 20, 2022 at 04:35 PM
lylejk
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · The strong bonds of a (beaver) mother/child

Wonderful capture, Don.

Jun 21, 2022 at 10:07 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password