1       2      
       4       end

Archive 2022 · Are Lightroom Classic users now 2nd class citizens to Adobe

Alan321
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Are Lightroom Classic users now 2nd class citizens to Adobe

Gigphoto wrote:
... Sounds like I will just have to suck it up and get Lightroom Classic and continue to keep my files on my backup drives. ...

In what follows "Lr6" is my abbreviation for version 6 of the venerable Lightroom desktop computer program from long ago. "LrC" is the current Lightroom Classic desktop computer program (as used in the Adobe icons for that program). In case anyone is confused, the LrC catalog is not the image library. Library = the image files wherever they are. Catalog = what LrC knows about the image files and what I want done with the content of the image files.

Switching from Lr6 to LrC will be painful; very much worthwhile, for sure, but still painful. The longer you wait the more painful will eventually be. You should consider running both versions for a little while, but make sure you never let both (or perhaps either) write directly to your picture files. The pain comes from there being too many new features in LrC compared with Lr6, and from even the most basic edit commands working somewhat differently from what you are used to in Lr6. There have been several LrC versions over the years that have needed the Catalog to be rebuilt, making it incompatible with Lr 6 and also previous versions of LrC. There will be no easy way to go back. Things will be harder for you if picture files are directly altered or relocated in one without the other knowing about it.

Eventually, probably within a few months of actually using LrC, you will realize that keeping both programs and their own catalogs is no longer worth the mental effort and you will happily drop Lr6.

Meanwhile, one option is to duplicate your entire library and use LrC on the new one while leaving the old one for Lr 6. You could delete image files from the old library as they progressively become irrelevant - i.e. as the LrC version is then being used.

Or, you might do this with just a select few relatively important images that have been heavily edited in Lr6 with complex edits -- mainly because it will take you some time to figure how to edit them in LrC at all, and even longer to figure out how to edit them well. Some of the new LrC features and steps will even make some of your Lr6 experience redundant.

Or, you might keep Lr6 for old pictures that are rarely accessed and use LrC for all new pictures. I advise against this option because by the time you need to access those pictures you will hardly recall how to use Lr6 optimally - you will be fully set in the ways of LrC.

Personally, I keep all of my metadata within my LrC catalog and I have LrC compress and backup the catalog at the end of every session. My backup system manages those compressed backup catalogs pretty much daily. Meanwhile, any other software (Lr6, ACDSee, Ps, anything else) that writes only metadata to my image files will not upset my LrC view of those files because my LrC only reads its metadata (edit history, etc.) from its own catalog. There is still plenty of scope for external software to alter image files if I'm not careful. That external s/w could even be Canon or Nikon s/w getting the best out of images using secret sauce that LrC does not yet know about.

I always use other s/w such as Total Commander or Downloader Pro to put my picture files where I want them in my computer before using LrC import/add, rather than import/move or import/copy, to import them into my LrC catalog.

Jul 05, 2022 at 11:55 AM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Are Lightroom Classic users now 2nd class citizens to Adobe

Alan321 wrote:
In what follows "Lr6" is my abbreviation for version 6 of the venerable Lightroom desktop computer program from long ago. "LrC" is the current Lightroom Classic desktop computer program (as used in the Adobe icons for that program). In case anyone is confused, the LrC catalog is not the image library. Library = the image files wherever they are. Catalog = what LrC knows about the image files and what I want done with the content of the image files.

Switching from Lr6 to LrC will be painful; very much worthwhile, for sure, but still painful. The longer you wait
...Show more

A jump from LR6 to the current LrC version will be an adjustment. Something else that changed with the LrC version. Process version 5 which solved the problem of high ISO blacks looking purple.

After getting LrC version 7, I held onto LR6 for a year but never opened it once. The catalogue upgrades keep all the old adjustment information. After a year I got rid of it and the old catalogue. Now I could never go back. I’d go with a competitor before I’d ever do that.

Jul 05, 2022 at 06:15 PM
Keiththom
• •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Are Lightroom Classic users now 2nd class citizens to Adobe

Those of us like myself who live in remote areas and don't have access to high speed internet, cannot move to the cloud even if we want to. So the end of Classic would mean the end of Adobe for me. I have a modest number of images but last time I played with transferring them to the cloud, I got a message saying it would take ".......years."

Jul 06, 2022 at 09:45 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Are Lightroom Classic users now 2nd class citizens to Adobe

Keiththom wrote:
Those of us like myself who live in remote areas and don't have access to high speed internet, cannot move to the cloud even if we want to. So the end of Classic would mean the end of Adobe for me. I have a modest number of images but last time I played with transferring them to the cloud, I got a message saying it would take ".......years."

And yet here you are using the internet to post a message. You can be disconnected from the internet for up to 4 months until LR / PS stop working. Connect anytime during those 120 days and you’ll get another 120 without internet going forward.

Jul 06, 2022 at 10:11 AM
jhapeman
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Are Lightroom Classic users now 2nd class citizens to Adobe

Keiththom wrote:

Even with high speed, it's just impractical for anyone with a modern high-megapixel camera that likes to shoot in raw. I did a cloud backup recently of my photo library from the last 20 years; it's a second fail-safe to my off-line copies I already have. It's 12TB and it took a MONTH to back it up and I have a gigabit ethernet connection.

Like most things in IT, the "Cloud" hype was just that--mostly hype. Cloud computing is great for many things, but it's not the be-all end-all that many vendors promised. Thankfully it seems that most have figured that out and moved on. IMO even Adobe fully knows this and has shifted strategies.

Jul 06, 2022 at 10:14 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Are Lightroom Classic users now 2nd class citizens to Adobe

jhapeman wrote:
Even with high speed, it's just impractical for anyone with a modern high-megapixel camera that likes to shoot in raw. I did a cloud backup recently of my photo library from the last 20 years; it's a second fail-safe to my off-line copies I already have. It's 12TB and it took a MONTH to back it up and I have a gigabit ethernet connection.

Like most things in IT, the "Cloud" hype was just that--mostly hype. Cloud computing is great for many things, but it's not the be-all end-all that many vendors promised. Thankfully it seems that most have figured
...Show more

I have my images stored on the cloud as well as regular local backups. Once you get over the initial upload, some vendors allow this to be done via hard drive, the ongoing cloud syncing is totally painless and does not need your attention…exactly what a daily backup system should provide.

Jul 06, 2022 at 10:30 AM
jhapeman
• • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Are Lightroom Classic users now 2nd class citizens to Adobe

chez wrote:
I have my images stored on the cloud as well as regular local backups. Once you get over the initial upload, some vendors allow this to be done via hard drive, the ongoing cloud syncing is totally painless and does not need your attention…exactly what a daily backup system should provide.

Sure, for backup. But for active use of the files, it's really not ideal, unless you're working with low daily volumes. For my business, we shoot upwards of 200 files per day, so any active use of the cloud is unworkable for that volume.

Jul 06, 2022 at 11:13 AM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Are Lightroom Classic users now 2nd class citizens to Adobe

Keiththom wrote:

As far as Classic goes it is impossible to send RAW files to the cloud, only Smart Previews. I don't think very many people could use up the 20GB of cloud space with Smart Previews. I don't know why smart previews are bogging you down.

So basically you can't use cloud storage for RAW files with Adobe you can't use it with any company. I've been waiting or 7 years for the end of Classic or Adobe doubling it in price. Adobe will never end Classic, just support. All your files are stored locally, your edits will be maintained and you could export your previous work whenever you feel like it.

If that ever happens I'll move on to another developer and keep Classic around. I don't think I'll ever need to re-edit an old event. For a handful of files I'll just do with the new developer.

Also if you quit Adobe or it drops Classic support you can still use the catalogue. Not ideal without the Develop Module but I have read of some that signed up and then quit just so they could use the catalogue. I doubt I would still use it.

I stay with Adobe because I like the product. They have always been accommodating to me. Far better company than DXO that holds out for new camera support for months and conveniently gives it to you in November when you present your credit card for the new version. My gripe with Adobe is no NR AI yet but Portfolio makes it worth it to me. LrC, PS, Portfolio and another 10 apps or so included gives it value - for me.

If I was a pro portrait editor I'd probably also have C1 Pro. Currently I'm leaning to ON1 - that is if Adobe ever ticks me off.

Jul 06, 2022 at 11:54 AM
Gigphoto

p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Are Lightroom Classic users now 2nd class citizens to Adobe

Thank you for your thoughtful and most enlightening reply. You offer much more information than I had understood to this point. While it all sounds a bit daunting, it also sounds as if the longer I wait to purchase. A subscription — and, mind you, I can no longer edit or use any new images — the problem will only worsen. Thank you, again, for such a detailed expectation of both action and inaction.

Jul 07, 2022 at 02:17 PM
tobiaskay

p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Are Lightroom Classic users now 2nd class citizens to Adobe

Adobe Has include many new feature in version 8.2.2. They have now included the premium adaptive presets for portraits. They have also made improvements in healing brush tool. You will also get the support to the latest camera and lenses.

Edited on Mar 18, 2023 at 01:37 AM · View previous versions

Mar 16, 2023 at 02:07 AM
Oscarsmadness
• • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Are Lightroom Classic users now 2nd class citizens to Adobe

My snarky response to OP... everyone is second class in Adobe's perspective. All they want is to make money. They don't care about us.

I'm still using LR6. I use it as a DAM and do the majority of my work in PL5. I'm very happy owning my licenses.

Mar 16, 2023 at 09:34 AM
ilkka_nissila
• • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Are Lightroom Classic users now 2nd class citizens to Adobe

In my opinion after Lightroom (Classic) went into the subscription model, there has been more rapid and significant advances in its capabilities. The AI-assisted subject selection is actually very useful now. I think the photographer's subscription (including LR and PS) is fairly priced and much lower priced than full-price perpetual licenses would have been if keeping the software reasonably up to date.

I have not seen any signs of Lightroom Classic receiving any less effort in development and the mobile Lightroom remains a joke in my view. There is no possible way I could imagine uploading my images (which take up tens of TB) into a cloud service that wants to convert the file into Adobe's format, losing information, and restricts operations to Adobe tools only nor would I trust anyone else but myself to make my backups. I think it's clear to Adobe as well that a transition to the cloud-based apps won't happen to people who use photography seriously either as a hobby or work. In fact their cloud implementation is such that it probably drives users away from Adobe tools. But the desktop apps are fine and continue to get new useful features at a rapid pace.

Mar 16, 2023 at 10:01 AM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Are Lightroom Classic users now 2nd class citizens to Adobe

LR CC is constantly getting great updates like AI enhancements, I'm very happy with the value I get for my monthly 10 bucks.

Lightroom Mobile is totally fine for what it is. It recently got some nice new enhancements and the heal tools are much better than they were since it got Content Aware healing. It's a great tool to use while on the road to make quick edits, and I've imported most of my LR CC presets into it.

I have zero interest in using the Adobe cloud for any part of my workflow.

Mar 16, 2023 at 10:25 AM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Are Lightroom Classic users now 2nd class citizens to Adobe

Adobe PS is $10 a MONTH. Off subject here, but if you only spend $20 a month you're getting ≈5 cups every 30 days. I calculated it once (wanted to know how expensive my habit was). 2 cups a day at $3 a cup (about right for making one's own) comes out to $90 a month. It's very rare that I go to a coffee shop. For me coffee is a required morning infusion.

Mar 16, 2023 at 10:34 AM
Sashi
• •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Are Lightroom Classic users now 2nd class citizens to Adobe

I switched over to DXO PhotoLabs, and am not looking back. I have PSCS5 which has the full suite that I need occassionaly (InDesign/Premier Pro/Adobe Acrobat Pro). Note that my use is for strictly personal work and nothing professional.

Mar 16, 2023 at 11:10 AM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Are Lightroom Classic users now 2nd class citizens to Adobe

OntheRez wrote:
Adobe PS is $10 a MONTH. Off subject here, but if you only spend $20 a month you're getting ≈5 cups every 30 days. I calculated it once (wanted to know how expensive my habit was). 2 cups a day at $3 a cup (about right for making one's own) comes out to $90 a month. It's very rare that I go to a coffee shop. For me coffee is a required morning infusion.

For anyone with a semi serious hobby, a $10/month investment is literally nothing. I like to BBQ when I'm not taking photos. I can barely buy a single pack of bacon for $10 anymore. The LR/PS bundle provides so much more than $10/month in worth to me.

And my personal favorite coffee to buy away from the house is $6 after tip, so yeah...it's not even 2 of those

Mar 16, 2023 at 11:58 AM
jhapeman
• • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Are Lightroom Classic users now 2nd class citizens to Adobe

RoamingScott wrote:
For anyone with a semi serious hobby, a $10/month investment is literally nothing. I like to BBQ when I'm not taking photos. I can barely buy a single pack of bacon for $10 anymore. The LR/PS bundle provides so much more than $10/month in worth to me.

And my personal favorite coffee to buy away from the house is $6 after tip, so yeah...it's not even 2 of those

There's an irrational fear and loathing of software subscriptions, particularly with Adobe. I sort of get it...but at the price they are charging, it's a ridiculously good deal. I see people buying competitor's products and paying updates every year or two and in the end paying more by rationalizing it that they "own" the software. I mean, if you read the T&C you don't *own* any software, you just have a limited license to use it. It's not like LR dies and your files are lost if you lapse on your subscription. In fact, you in essence get a great DAM for nothing, and can just use any other editor you please.

Mar 16, 2023 at 12:08 PM
jwpstl
• • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Are Lightroom Classic users now 2nd class citizens to Adobe

jhapeman wrote:
It's not like LR dies and your files are lost if you lapse on your subscription. In fact, you in essence get a great DAM for nothing, and can just use any other editor you please.

If I stop paying for upgrades to my software of choice I don't lose any functionality at all.

Mar 16, 2023 at 12:55 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Are Lightroom Classic users now 2nd class citizens to Adobe

RoamingScott wrote:

Yeh, it seems ironic to discuss paying $10/month is outrageous when in the same breath we discuss cameras that cost thousands of dollars and collections of lenses that break ten thousand dollars. Staying current as hardware / Operating systems / features change around you is a steal at $10 / month.

Mar 16, 2023 at 01:03 PM
ilkka_nissila
• • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Are Lightroom Classic users now 2nd class citizens to Adobe

jwpstl wrote:
If I stop paying for upgrades to my software of choice I don't lose any functionality at all.

Eventually OS upgrades will make it incompatible and you'll no longer be able to use it unless you preserve the old OS in a virtual box or risk security issues due to the OS not being updated.

The OS being continually updated leads to a subscription model for the application software as well as the makers have to be paid to maintain compatibility.

Mar 16, 2023 at 01:05 PM
1       2      
       4       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.