New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2022 · Alaska Bear trip

Tollefsen
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Alaska Bear trip

I am wanting to schedule an Alaska Bear trip for 2023. I am looking for advice on who people have gone with that they really like. I know Brooks Falls for the iconic bear catching fish. I obviously like that, but I’m not set that I have do do Brooks Falls. I know there are other places to get great up close photos. The bear coming right at you splashing in the water type!

As for budget, I know you get what you pay for, so not low end, but not necessarily 12k for 6 days. I’m good with not having luxury, location knowledgeable guides to be sure we are at the right place right time is the most important. Would like a week.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts
Beth

Jun 15, 2022 at 08:07 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Alaska Bear trip

My wife and I spent 2 amazing weeks in Alaska in 2020 and one of the highlights of our trip was our stay at SSCL. We want to go back so bad now.

https://silversalmoncreek.com/index.php

Silver Salmon Creek Lodge is everything you want and so much more. Well within your budget but if you DON'T want to eat like a king then I would look elsewhere. The food and cabins are over the top and the images you WILL capture there will blow your mind.

Look no further. Trust me.

The Dive

Is that a pic-a-nic basket

Sleeping Bear 5 frame Pano

Wanna arm wrestle B&W

Blondie flirting

Red Fox sitting in trail

Jun 16, 2022 at 06:20 PM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Alaska Bear trip

You do not necessarily get more by spending more in Alaska. Possible to separate travel to Brooks from King Salmon by float plane or to book a float plane for a day that goes to where the bears are to be found. Different rivers have salmon runs at different times of the year so being a few weeks early or late and there will be no bears to be found.

On one trip my wife and I chartered a yacht in Katmai and we traveled to areas where bears were on shore and along the way saw orcas and puffins and other wildlife. There were 3 of us along with the captain and cook who are husband and wife.

Helps if you can fly with American Airlines although you may need to arrive a day earlier and leave day later to do so.

Jun 17, 2022 at 06:39 PM
Tollefsen
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Alaska Bear trip

lighthound wrote:
My wife and I spent 2 amazing weeks in Alaska in 2020 and one of the highlights of our trip was our stay at SSCL. We want to go back so bad now.

Silver Salmon Creek Lodge is everything you want and so much more. Well within your budget but if you DON'T want to eat like a king then I would look elsewhere. The food and cabins are over the top and the images you WILL capture there will blow your mind.

Look no further. Trust me.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50369305418_c1bc9f6613_h.jpgThe Dive

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50369308183_9f575320f2_h.jpg
Is that a pic-a-nic basket

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50363906793_7bbc5b6f27_h.jpg
Sleeping Bear 5 frame Pano

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51707849135_84d539899b_h.jpg
Wanna

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50310063616_2a17709d01_h.jpg
Blondie flirting

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50321311758_60bb6696c2_h.jpg
Red Fox sitting in trail

...Show more

Thank you, these are absolutely stunning images. Just what I want!!!

Jun 19, 2022 at 10:05 AM
Tollefsen
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Alaska Bear trip

elkhornsun wrote:
You do not necessarily get more by spending more in Alaska. Possible to separate travel to Brooks from King Salmon by float plane or to book a float plane for a day that goes to where the bears are to be found. Different rivers have salmon runs at different times of the year so being a few weeks early or late and there will be no bears to be found.

On one trip my wife and I chartered a yacht in Katmai and we traveled to areas where bears were on shore and along the way saw orcas and puffins
...Show more

Thank you! The more info I can collect the better!

Jun 19, 2022 at 10:06 AM
BlueRidge
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Alaska Bear trip

Agree with lighthound on Silver Salmon Creek Lodge on the edge of Lake Clark. We visited in 2016, and some of their guides are excellent photographers in their own right. Plus, no crowded viewing stands! You may encounter bears walking to dinner or outside your window.

Also recommend Denali National Park if time permits. Seeing the "mountain"--the tallest in the world from base to summit--along with bears in a very different setting is well worth it.

Jun 21, 2022 at 09:54 AM
cambyses
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Alaska Bear trip

I too have been thinking about a family trip to Alaska hoping to photograph both bears and eagles. And Salmon Silver Creek Lodge sounded like a great idea. But I just looked up their 2023 rates, and just 5-6 days there for our family of 4 (plus the air fare to Anchorage) would probably cost more than any 5-6 day trip almost anywhere else in the world, including even an African Safari trip! Those small charter planes must be charging a lot of money! So it seems like a tougher decision for us given our travel budget!

Jun 22, 2022 at 09:14 AM
FoleyAMG
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Alaska Bear trip

I am sure staying at the lodge is a fantastic experience...so definitely not knocking them...but from my experience traveling to Alaska the last couple years...a family could get by basing out of Anchorage or Homer and getting out to the bears relatively easily and cheaper than staying at these specialized lodges...regards to airfare, most flights whether out of Anchorage or Homer is priced anywhere before $600-$900 for a day our to Brook Falls...

Jun 22, 2022 at 12:47 PM
Tollefsen
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Alaska Bear trip

elkhornsun wrote:

On one trip my wife and I chartered a yacht in Katmai and we traveled to areas where bears were on shore and along the way saw orcas and puffins
...Show more

So did you do only photography? I see they do a lot of fishing which I don’t do. If I went it would just be me by myself. Do they take you out for early morning sunrise and sunset light? I was looking at a lady who does bear trips and that is where she stays, it I’m wondering if I really need her or if I can go on my own and get the same thing. Her trip is $6500 and we would be there for 4 nights. It looks like I could do 5 or 6 nights for the same price with out her. If I’m going all the way to Alaska I might as well stay longer! I’m also looking into where to go to see other wildlife before or after. Eagles and moose would be nice! Thanks Beth

Jun 22, 2022 at 04:44 PM
Tollefsen
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Alaska Bear trip

BlueRidge wrote:
Agree with lighthound on Silver Salmon Creek Lodge on the edge of Lake Clark. We visited in 2016, and some of their guides are excellent photographers in their own right. Plus, no crowded viewing stands! You may encounter bears walking to dinner or outside your window.

Also recommend Denali National Park if time permits. Seeing the "mountain"--the tallest in the world from base to summit--along with bears in a very different setting is well worth it.

So did you do only photography? I see they do a lot of fishing which I don’t do. If I went it would just be me by myself. Do they take you out for early morning sunrise and sunset light? I was looking at a lady who does bear trips and that is where she stays, it I’m wondering if I really need her or if I can go on my own and get the same thing. Her trip is $6500 and we would be there for 4 nights. It looks like I could do 5 or 6 nights for the same price with out her. If I’m going all the way to Alaska I might as well stay longer! I’m also looking into where to go to see other wildlife before or after. Eagles and moose would be nice! Thanks Beth

Jun 22, 2022 at 04:45 PM
BlueRidge
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Alaska Bear trip

Tollefsen wrote:
So id you do only photography? I see they do a lot of fishing which I don’t do. If I went it would just be me by myself. Do they take you out for early morning sunrise and sunset light? I was looking at a lady who does bear trips and that is where she stays, it I’m wondering if I really need her or if I can go on my own and get the same thing. Her trip is $6500 and we would be there for 4 nights. It looks like I could do 5 or 6 nights for
...Show more

Fishing is optional at Silver Salmon Creek Lodge, and very few people fished when I was there. Another lodge was close by but I do not recall the name. Yes, you can go on your own. The lodge is popular with photo tours of small groups, but my wife and I (and others) traveled on our own. The guides assemble groups of 6 people max, and take you out 2-3 times daily. The bears are acclimated to this number of humans, and tend to ignore us (thank goodness). Keep in mind that "morning" is relative in Alaska as it will be daylight at 4:00 a.m. and 10:00 p.m. SSCL is not ideal for Moose, but we did see Eagles. I cannot speak to the cost but $6,500 sounds like the same price range. This would include meals, guide, and the bush pilot flights to/from. It is an awesome experience. Hope this helps.

Jun 23, 2022 at 07:47 AM
runakid
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Alaska Bear trip

SSCL directly or Homestead directly
do not go thru some tour guide show who will take you to SSCL or Homestead. Contact them directly and save thousands.
Next door is Homestead which is equally nice and smaller.

Both are excellent and you will not be disappointed. I went with SSCL but I would use the smaller Homestead next time.

Jun 23, 2022 at 09:36 PM
Tollefsen
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Alaska Bear trip

BlueRidge wrote:
Fishing is optional at Silver Salmon Creek Lodge, and very few people fished when I was there. Another lodge was close by but I do not recall the name. Yes, you can go on your own. The lodge is popular with photo tours of small groups, but my wife and I (and others) traveled on our own. The guides assemble groups of 6 people max, and take you out 2-3 times daily. The bears are acclimated to this number of humans, and tend to ignore us (thank goodness). Keep in mind that "morning" is relative in Alaska as it will
...Show more

This helps a lot! Thank you!

Jun 24, 2022 at 07:33 AM
Tollefsen
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Alaska Bear trip

runakid wrote:
SSCL directly or Homestead directly
do not go thru some tour guide show who will take you to SSCL or Homestead. Contact them directly and save thousands.
Next door is Homestead which is equally nice and smaller.

Both are excellent and you will not be disappointed. I went with SSCL but I would use the smaller Homestead next time.

Thank you very much! Quite helpful.

Jun 24, 2022 at 07:34 AM
runakid
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Alaska Bear trip

SSCL or Homestead are really the only two places where you can stay for a short or long time. The food is excellent as are the rooms. The guides have been doing this for years. Both places are for fishing and/or photography. When we went it was a 50-50 mix and that made for great conversationsareound the table at meals.
As I said the lodges should be contacted directly to save you thousands. They will arrange flights and planes.
Have fun. I know you will.

Jun 25, 2022 at 06:36 AM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Alaska Bear trip

cambyses wrote:
I too have been thinking about a family trip to Alaska hoping to photograph both bears and eagles. And Salmon Silver Creek Lodge sounded like a great idea. But I just looked up their 2023 rates, and just 5-6 days there for our family of 4 (plus the air fare to Anchorage) would probably cost more than any 5-6 day trip almost anywhere else in the world, including even an African Safari trip! Those small charter planes must be charging a lot of money! So it seems like a tougher decision for us given our travel budget!

Most economical way to explore Alaska as a family is to rent a motorhome and stock up on provisions in Anchorage. No hotel rooms and no restaurant food can save a lot of money. Anchorage is also a very central location for heading north, east, or south.

Jun 27, 2022 at 08:04 PM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Alaska Bear trip

It is a matter of the amount of light as the bears will feed all day long. They need to build up their fat stores for the winter. A day long float plane trip leaving from Anchorage is worth investigating.

Jun 27, 2022 at 08:06 PM
Tollefsen
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Alaska Bear trip

runakid wrote:
SSCL or Homestead are really the only two places where you can stay for a short or long time. The food is excellent as are the rooms. The guides have been doing this for years. Both places are for fishing and/or photography. When we went it was a 50-50 mix and that made for great conversationsareound the table at meals.
As I said the lodges should be contacted directly to save you thousands. They will arrange flights and planes.
Have fun. I know you will.

I am on the wait list for 2024…. Obviously a popular place!

Jul 15, 2022 at 07:31 PM
runakid
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Alaska Bear trip

Are you on the list for SSCL or Homestead? Either way you will be fine. As I said- Homestead is smaller and yet offers all that SSCL does.

Jul 18, 2022 at 07:15 AM
runakid
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Alaska Bear trip

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1671717

Matt Shetzer leads a group from Homestead Lodge. These are just some of his phones.

Jul 18, 2022 at 08:38 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.