New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Paying Attention in Class, Masai Boma

sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Paying Attention in Class, Masai Boma

deep in the archives
super low light capture/high ISO. After noise reduction I added back some grain for a more classic look

Scott

GoetzPhotoz

Canon EOS 5D Mark II    EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM lens    45mm    f/5.6    1/90s    25600 ISO    +1.0 EV  

Jun 15, 2022 at 07:58 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Paying Attention in Class, Masai Boma

Nice capture, Scott. I've got no problems with the grain or look.

To my eyes you've got two main challenges with this - putting the focus on your main star (child facing camera) and battling that blown out window in the background for pull.

I think that you can address some of the former by cropping a little tighter (remove distractions) and adding in some burning to give your central child more of a stage.

The latter is just gonna be one of those things that can't *really* be fixed, but personally the draw of the singing children is enough to make me not really care that much. It's also more or less aligned with the child, so not a massive pull to a horizontal edge or anything.

My $0.02.

Jeff

Jun 16, 2022 at 02:48 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Paying Attention in Class, Masai Boma

thanks Jeff. Before posting I had pulled in the crop for the reasons you suggested. Further cropping as you have illustrated looks better!
Scott

Jun 16, 2022 at 03:52 PM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Paying Attention in Class, Masai Boma

Very nice photo, Scott. I like the mood. 25600 ISO! Good job.

Here are my thoughts. I feel the kids close to the wall are too dark. The same for the tall guy on the back. I would like to see more detail. That would require to brighten the kid on the foreground.

The bright window doesn't really bother me. It can be used to create some atmosphere, if you like it. Bothers me more the bright spot on the top right. Looks like there was another source of light in the right-back considering the shadows on the wall.

Those considerations brought me to the edit of image below. May not fit your taste, but to me appears as an improvement. Which is just a personal taste.

Socrate

Jun 16, 2022 at 06:22 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Paying Attention in Class, Masai Boma

No matter how you play it ...

Jun 16, 2022 at 08:16 PM
EverLearning
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Paying Attention in Class, Masai Boma

Socrate, I am curious as to how you created the dusty rays of light coming through the window. It is an interesting effect on an already very good photo.

Don

Jun 17, 2022 at 09:30 AM
lylejk
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Paying Attention in Class, Masai Boma

Nice capture; do like the dust rays version that Socrate shared as well.

Jun 17, 2022 at 09:37 AM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Paying Attention in Class, Masai Boma

EverLearning wrote:
Socrate, I am curious as to how you created the dusty rays of light coming through the window. It is an interesting effect on an already very good photo.

Don

I did it the easy way. I used an overlay from my library, put it on a layer over the image layer, changed the blend mode to Screen, transformed, some Gaussian Blur, and reduced the Opacity, used a mask to hide some parts.

When I do serious work I use different method and I create the sun rays directly in PS. If you go on line you can find some very good tutorials on how to create sun rays and it is very simple.
I forgot. I also used another "smoke" overlay on top on a separate layer. Same as above adjustments.

Socrate

Jun 17, 2022 at 11:44 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password