New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Canon R3 Overheated during Still Shooting

jramspott

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon R3 Overheated during Still Shooting

I have a new Canon R3, and it overheated and shut itself down while shooting stills in single shot mode. CPS told me they had never heard of this. The tech I talked to send I could send it back to Canon, but they were unlikely to reproduce the issue in their air conditioned offices. So I called the website I ordered from, and they are taking it back as defective.

That said, I want to know if anyone else has ever seen this problem. Here are the details:

I was shooting the March For Our Lives event in Atlanta, GA on Saturday. I started taking a few pictures around 1pm. I was in single-shot mode, producing only RAW files. I had GPS, WIFI and eye control turned off (default state). Also, I had power savings on default settings, so it would shut down the camera after a minute of being idle. Pressing the shutter button would wake it back up.

The temperature was 86 degrees. I was in a grass field in direct sunlight taking single still shots of speakers. After 90 minutes of occasionally taking pictures (absolutely NO VIDEO at all), the screen in my viewfinder said "Overheated Shutting Down" or something to that effect. R3 camera was unresponsive. I shut it off, waited an minute, and turned it back on. I got one picture off and I got the same "Overheated Shutting Down" screen. I could not snap it out of it. I don't see any kind of warning before it did this. Perhaps there was a little indicator symbol I did not notice, but no warning text.

I headed over to a shaded area and turned camera off for about 10 minutes, missing a speaker. I turned it back on and resumed taking pictures, but I took fewer pictures and shut it off immediately when I got my few pictures. It seemed to be OK afterwards, but of course now I didn't trust it. I was going to shoot soccer and other things with it, but not after that episode. The System Status log was empty.

I have never had this happen with any 35mm DSLR, mirrorless or otherwise. My GUESS is the store tech is right and it has a defect (loose wire, etc). I am NOT, REPEAT NOT, saying this is some kind of general problem with the R3. I just wanted to know if ANYONE else has seen the Canon R3 overheat while shooting stills (especially SINGLE SHOT mode). I had shutter set to mechanical if that matters. We are coming into summer, and this is the first summer the R3 has been with us.

Thanks!

Jun 15, 2022 at 02:03 PM
jwcdds

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon R3 Overheated during Still Shooting

Sorry to hear you've developed an issue. Never had any overheating warning/shutdown but I don't shoot video.

I've had a few times where it would hang a few seconds before waking up from sleep (seemingly with certain lenses), and I've had a couple of times where camera would show live view but won't take a shot. But nothing where I couldn't reset with pulling the battery.

Jun 15, 2022 at 03:51 PM
artsupreme
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon R3 Overheated during Still Shooting

Sounds like a faulty one, good thing you got it replaced. The camera wasn't sitting on a tripod in the sun was it? Even if it was, it should still be able to handle that but I'm just curious.

Jun 15, 2022 at 07:28 PM
jramspott

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon R3 Overheated during Still Shooting

No, it was not on a tripod. It was hanging around my neck, either in my hands or resting on my large belly.
Good question. I was standing on grass but was in full sun, but nothing I haven't put other cameras through,

Jun 15, 2022 at 09:05 PM
artsupreme
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon R3 Overheated during Still Shooting

jramspott wrote:
No, it was not on a tripod. It was hanging around my neck, either in my hands or resting on my large belly.
Good question. I was standing on grass but was in full sun, but nothing I haven't put other cameras through,

Cool. I shot a race with the R3 other day in the heat and I wasn't letting it rest. It was hanging on a black rapid strap and had no issues with heating. I've had previous 1D cameras mounted on tripods in high temps for extended periods of time and never had a problem with any of them, so I would expect the R3 to handle the same abuse.

Jun 15, 2022 at 09:39 PM
Ferrophot
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon R3 Overheated during Still Shooting

I have noticed my camera exteriors get hot when sitting in full sun for any length of time. Black body and all that stuff. I take care to keep it in the shade as much as possible, especially when it is sitting on the passenger's seat in the car.

Jun 16, 2022 at 12:51 AM
robert_in_ca
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon R3 Overheated during Still Shooting

No issues with my R3. There were a few days in the low 80s back when when I was on safari in Tanzania and the camera performed flawlessly. Sounds like you had a faulty unit.

Jun 16, 2022 at 02:09 AM
Sage11

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon R3 Overheated during Still Shooting

What specific CF Express Type B card (brand, version, size, etc.) did you use?

Jun 16, 2022 at 05:45 AM
ballyhoo33
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon R3 Overheated during Still Shooting

I fired off about 2,500 shots during a recent soccer match with no issues with full sun and temps in the mid-80s.

Jun 16, 2022 at 03:06 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jramspott

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon R3 Overheated during Still Shooting

Card was a Sandisk Extreme Pro CFExpress 128GB.

Jun 17, 2022 at 06:54 AM
NOVA Joe

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon R3 Overheated during Still Shooting

So this happened to me today. I was shooting a neighborhood swim meet, stills only with electronic shutter and the high temperature warning showed up in the viewfinder. The camera did not shut down. I had been shooting for about 2 hours and it was 87 degrees and mostly cloudy. We had a break so I turned the camera off went indoors, pulled the battery, left the batter y out for 5 minutes, then loaded a fresh battery. I shot for another hour in the heat and sun with no issues.

Iím curious how many others this has happened to.

Jul 02, 2022 at 03:18 PM
Andrew J
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon R3 Overheated during Still Shooting

Get a Sony tough card or NKI, problem solved.

Jul 03, 2022 at 08:24 AM
Sage11

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon R3 Overheated during Still Shooting

jramspott wrote:
Card was a Sandisk Extreme Pro CFExpress 128GB.

The Delkin Black CF Express Type B cards are designed to operate cooler than the typical CF express card. I suspect if you pulled your Sandisk card out of the camera when it over heats that it would be too hot to touch.

Jul 04, 2022 at 06:10 AM
Bernie_King
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon R3 Overheated during Still Shooting

Shot all day yesterday in full sun, 90 degrees, about 1000 photos in total. About 5 hours in the direct sun. No overheating of any kind. Depending on your default video mode, it may be like the R5 where it will show you a video warning even if you're shooting stills Just a guess.

Jul 04, 2022 at 06:00 PM
jramspott

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon R3 Overheated during Still Shooting

What memory card were you using? I always use SanDisk, but folks on the forum are recommending Sony Tough or Delkin for running cooler.

Jul 05, 2022 at 07:01 AM
Bernie_King
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon R3 Overheated during Still Shooting

I have Delkin and Lexar. Both have performed flawlessly. I was shooting the Lexar last weekend.

Jul 06, 2022 at 01:41 PM
Tony5787
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon R3 Overheated during Still Shooting

I had an overheating warning a few weeks ago when I was shooting in North Carolina in hot, sunny weather. The weird thing was that it had just been sitting in my car when I noticed it. Havenít had issues with it since though so Iím hoping it was just a fluke.

Jul 06, 2022 at 06:17 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password