Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

And now for something completely different (and unseasonal)

EverLearning
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · And now for something completely different (and unseasonal)

As always, it's feast or famine with me; both for shooting and for posting. This has been a particularly busy spring around home but I finally got some time to make progress on photos.

I have been going through several thousand images from late winter/early spring and have narrowed down my interest to 20 or so photos to give the "full meal deal" post processing to. This is the first one I have completed.

It is what happens when one spends hours slowly driving back country roads in nearly -40 weather looking for snowy owls but not finding anything. I started noticing more and more of these interesting terrain patterns caused by snow, strong winds and bitter temperatures.

There is one aspect I am not completely satisfied with but maybe I am overfussing. I won't bias opinions by further commenting. As usual, critique on in-field and behind-computer most welcome.

Don

Canon EOS R5    EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM +1.4x III lens    358mm    f/7.1    1/1000s    200 ISO    +1.0 EV  

Jun 15, 2022 at 12:00 PM
grandmas
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · And now for something completely different (and unseasonal)

Snow drifts are interesting. For a photo like this it could use a focal point to keep the viewers attention longer. I keep looking everywhere, but no where to stop visually and rest.

I tend to think that landscapes in general need to be pretty sharp through the whole image, perhaps a crop without the blurry foreground. Even if the intent for the photo is to show snow texture, I would prefer the whole image be mostly sharp.

Jun 15, 2022 at 12:44 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · And now for something completely different (and unseasonal)

I find the repetitive shapes, edges and shadows engaging. Not sure what I am reacting to, but it seems over-processed in terms of the textures, possibly just the actual quality of the snow.
Shooting lower down (in that cold!) would add more interest. And would add to the ambiguity: size? distance? mountains? This image reminds me of friend's BW picture of a canvas tent with the shaping provided by the supporting poles. It was unclear if I was looking at sand dunes, mountains of snow, etc.
Scott

Jun 15, 2022 at 08:07 PM
EverLearning
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · And now for something completely different (and unseasonal)

Thanks for the comments grandmas and Scott.

Maybe I am just a crazy Canuck (I was out shooting in this weather after all), but I considered this a B&W from the moment I saw it; shapes, textures, shadows, some pattern and even a "direction", like a wave. It was my hope that the viewer would be pulled to these features and visually explore them. Perhaps I overestimated the power of these elements?

Scott, I don't fully understand the phenomenon, but if it is windy then the weather gets a bit warm (but not actually melting) and then very cold, the snow forms into these drifts and then "hardens", but more like sandstone than granite. The drifting snow becomes more like grains of sand and can "carve" the snow drifts. Looking at my original, the texture is almost prominent as the end product. I think my working the blacks, whites and curves to get a bit more 3D emphasis added slightly to the texture because of the side light. I was kneeling, but the road is a little higher than the fields. I did experiment with different heights (but opted not to lay down on the road lest I became stuck to it!), and settled on this low yet three dimensional perspective. Yours is an interesting point about a lower yet perspective. I shoot far less landscape than wildlife, so I am quite keen to better understand how being lower would alter size and distance perception. Would not both of these be imparted on the mind by the presence of something the mind knows the size of (a fence post, person, rabbit, fox, horse, etc) and can use for comparative purposes?

Don

Jun 15, 2022 at 08:59 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · And now for something completely different (and unseasonal)

I feel ya ... gettin' skunked, ya start seein' things that aren't skunks.

Just something to bring out the textures and shapes. I realize that the tones are not "white" like snow, but snow is really only a reflection of the light, so as the light changes it's AI=AR for reflection, the tonal values that reach the lens are variable ... so, why not bring it out.

" Boogie Chillen' "
It's in there, it's Gotta come out.

Might be a bit strong, and you can kinda see the blown areas, as a byproduct, but you get the gist ... there's stuff in there. You might want to see how you can mine / reveal it ... to your taste, of course.

Alternatively, maybe a high key frame.

Jun 15, 2022 at 10:33 PM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · And now for something completely different (and unseasonal)

EverLearning wrote:
Maybe I am just a crazy Canuck (I was out shooting in this weather after all), but I considered this a B&W from the moment I saw it; shapes, textures, shadows, some pattern and even a "direction", like a wave, It was my hope that the viewer would be pulled to these features and visually explore them. Perhaps I overestimated the power of these elements?

Don

It is a very cool photo, Don, I like what you saw, but I believe the image is not showing what you saw. If the intent is to show shapes, textures, shadows, some pattern and even a "direction", like a wave, than you have to make that clear to the viewer by emphasizing shapes, texture and shadows.

As it is the image is too bright. My eyes are drawn to brightness. Black and white tends to work best if you incorporate the full tonal range from pure black to pure white.

I think the photo could use more motion and adding some more texture, more contrast, accentuating the shadow, could improve the photo.
One trick to make the image look like waves is to “level” the image.

Here is a re-edit that tries to incorporate your intent. Not sure it works for you, but I hope it will give you some inspiration for your own creation.

Socrate

Jun 15, 2022 at 11:06 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · And now for something completely different (and unseasonal)

Shasoc wrote:
Here is a re-edit that tries to incorporate your intent. Not sure it works for you, but I hope it will give you some inspiration for your own creation.

+1 for mine.

Jun 16, 2022 at 06:20 AM
EverLearning
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · And now for something completely different (and unseasonal)

Kent, very interesting alternative with the high key version. I had great side light and locked in on a high contrast "image" in my mind when stepping out of the vehicle with the camera.

Socrate, I think I let the idea of "unnatural" grey snow occupy my mind too much. I pulled the exposure down and it does look better. I also pushed the black point and shadows more and it does indeed help. I am torn between the uniqueness of the diagonal direction of the snow drifts and your version which is more wave-like. I am curious about how you obtained this version; given that rotating (especially this much) usually results in losing parts of the image along the two ends. Comparing mine to yours, it appears nothing was lost. Did you increase the size of the canvas, rotate and then content aware fill?

grandmas, I took your advice and trimmed a little off the bottom, which was the most OOF.

Thanks!

Jun 16, 2022 at 12:14 PM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · And now for something completely different (and unseasonal)

EverLearning wrote:
Kent, very interesting alternative with the high key version. I had great side light and locked in on a high contrast "image" in my mind when stepping out of the vehicle with the camera.

Socrate, I think I let the idea of "unnatural" grey snow occupy my mind too much. I pulled the exposure down and it does look better. I also pushed the black point and shadows more and it does indeed help. I am torn between the uniqueness of the diagonal direction of the snow drifts and your version which is more wave-like. I am curious about how you
...Show more

Don, I used Content Aware Crop and let PS do the job. I then retouched some parts to my taste with the cloning tool (mostly the top right part).

Jun 16, 2022 at 12:26 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

EverLearning
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · And now for something completely different (and unseasonal)

I had never heard of content aware crop! Cool. Thanks for the tip Socrate!

Don

Jun 16, 2022 at 01:01 PM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · And now for something completely different (and unseasonal)

EverLearning wrote:
I had never heard of content aware crop! Cool. Thanks for the tip Socrate!

Don

Yup. In PS when you choose the Crop Tool if you look at the top bar you can see and check the "Content Aware" box, next to the Delete Cropped Pixels check box. PS will fill all the empty spaces inside the crop using content aware.

Socrate

Jun 16, 2022 at 01:59 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · And now for something completely different (and unseasonal)

EverLearning wrote:
Thanks for the comments grandmas and Scott.

Maybe I am just a crazy Canuck (I was out shooting in this weather after all), but I considered this a B&W from the moment I saw it; shapes, textures, shadows, some pattern and even a "direction", like a wave. It was my hope that the viewer would be pulled to these features and visually explore them. Perhaps I overestimated the power of these elements?

Scott, I don't fully understand the phenomenon, but if it is windy then the weather gets a bit warm (but not actually melting) and then very cold, the snow forms
...Show more

Don,
Hopefully you are fully thawed and glad you were not frozen to the pavement. A photographer's hazard in Canada!
My point about getting lower was to further suggest mountains taken from a ground level POV. A fence, post, etc helps with realistic sense of scale, but my thinking is to go abstract, ambiguous, giving as little clues of distance and size as possible.
I do like the image and most of the iterations others have since added to this thread.

Scott

Jun 16, 2022 at 03:56 PM
EverLearning
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · And now for something completely different (and unseasonal)

Thanks Scott. I appreciate the elaboration.

Don

Jun 16, 2022 at 04:31 PM
EverLearning
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · And now for something completely different (and unseasonal)

So after all the tweaks, this is where I landed with this.

Don

Winter "waves"

Canon EOS R5    EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM +1.4x III lens    358mm    f/7.1    1/1000s    200 ISO    +1.0 EV  

Jun 16, 2022 at 04:32 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · And now for something completely different (and unseasonal)

"Northern Sahara"

Scott

Jun 17, 2022 at 11:36 AM
EverLearning
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · And now for something completely different (and unseasonal)

sbeme wrote:
"Northern Sahara"

Scott

Yeah, pretty much the same temperatures too; just one has a "+" in front of the temperature and the other has a "-".

Jun 17, 2022 at 12:15 PM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · And now for something completely different (and unseasonal)

EverLearning wrote:
Yeah, pretty much the same temperatures too; just one has a "+" in front of the temperature and the other has a "-".

Or you can photoshop it

Jun 17, 2022 at 01:43 PM
EverLearning
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · And now for something completely different (and unseasonal)

"As seen through ski goggles or a beer bottle"

Jun 17, 2022 at 02:56 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password