Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2022 · Nik Collection 5 - anyone upgrade (that feels like a generous descriptio...

eyal
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nik Collection 5 - anyone upgrade (that feels like a generous description)?

I use Color Efex Pro a fair amount to add contrast to images in ways I have not been able to do as easily otherwise.

That being said, I paid for Nik 3 then Nik 4 and saw little to no changes/improvement in the way I use the programs.

Now, one year after 4, we get the release of 5 which is 'rebuilt from the ground up' and at the low, low price of $79

Not sure I'm ready to pounce on this one having been burned on the lack of real updates for the last 2 versions.

Wondering if anyone already has...

Link - https://nikcollection.dxo.com/whats-new/

Jun 15, 2022 at 11:06 AM
eddieb
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nik Collection 5 - anyone upgrade (that feels like a generous description)?

I just saw the upgrade offer in my email. I, like you, am hesitant to jump on version 5. I haven’t checked to see if they are offering a trial, but I will check. If they do, I’ll give it a try and see if I feel it justifies a purchase.

Jun 15, 2022 at 11:19 AM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nik Collection 5 - anyone upgrade (that feels like a generous description)?

With every iteration, they have been clear about what has changed/improved. If you don't think those changes will make a difference for you, then don't upgrade - simple as that.

I have version 3 and I did not upgrade to version 4 because their changelog indicated it was an extremely minor upgrade, and in areas I don't use anyway. Version 5 looks to be a much more significant upgrade, but if you don't use the tools they improved, it still won't be worth it for you.

Personally I'd like to see them give some more love to HDR Efex 2 - it's still the best HDR software in my opinion, but it hasn't been updated in years.

Jun 15, 2022 at 04:01 PM
jforkner
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nik Collection 5 - anyone upgrade (that feels like a generous description)?

I upgraded to Nik 5, and really like (and use) the recipes in Color Efex. I’ve used the Nik software since the beginning, and this update/upgrade did not disappoint. I hardly ever used the previous version of Color Efex, but this version will get a lot of use I believe. I find the new capability similar to the Templates in Luminar AI.

Jack

Jun 17, 2022 at 07:38 AM
eddieb
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nik Collection 5 - anyone upgrade (that feels like a generous description)?

I bought the upgrade and agree with jforkner. Worth the upgrade.

Jun 19, 2022 at 11:08 AM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nik Collection 5 - anyone upgrade (that feels like a generous description)?

I don't use adobe, does this run as a standalone on its own, or is it a plug-in?

Jun 19, 2022 at 11:50 PM
jwpstl
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Nik Collection 5 - anyone upgrade (that feels like a generous description)?

AmbientMike wrote:
I don't use adobe, does this run as a standalone on its own, or is it a plug-in?

Plug-in or standalone.

Jun 20, 2022 at 11:09 AM
jwpstl
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Nik Collection 5 - anyone upgrade (that feels like a generous description)?

Here's a decent review of version 5:

https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/nik-collection-by-dxo

Jun 20, 2022 at 11:29 AM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Nik Collection 5 - anyone upgrade (that feels like a generous description)?

Still using PS CS6 and the free Google Nik version 2. I most likely upgrade to newer versions when I decide to get a new PC or Mac in a couple years from now.

Jun 22, 2022 at 06:58 AM
Sashi
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Nik Collection 5 - anyone upgrade (that feels like a generous description)?

I did the upgrade and like the new interface. Also digging DXO Photo Labs. Wish I can apply multiple filters to my images there at the same time. Their lens correction algorithms seems to be slightly better than what I have in Adobe.

Jun 27, 2022 at 03:33 PM
eyal
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Nik Collection 5 - anyone upgrade (that feels like a generous description)?

jwpstl wrote:
Here's a decent review of version 5:

https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/nik-collection-by-dxo

The review states it is not written for M1 and that Photoshop therefore needs to be run via Rosetta?

That doesn't seem to be the case for Nik 4...

Can anyone confirm?

Jun 27, 2022 at 05:04 PM
Daniel Smith
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Nik Collection 5 - anyone upgrade (that feels like a generous description)?

Silver Efex Pro only. No use for any of the others.

They force a bundle price.

There are other options that do not do this.

Jun 28, 2022 at 12:06 AM
jwpstl
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Nik Collection 5 - anyone upgrade (that feels like a generous description)?

eyal wrote:
The review states it is not written for M1 and that Photoshop therefore needs to be run via Rosetta?

That doesn't seem to be the case for Nik 4...

Can anyone confirm?

I don't have an M1 Mac to confirm but here's what DXO says:

https://support.dxo.com/hc/en-us/articles/5091327436701-Does-Nik-Collection-run-on-the-newer-Apple-M1-processors-

Jun 28, 2022 at 10:44 AM
GroovyGeek
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Nik Collection 5 - anyone upgrade (that feels like a generous description)?

I am not sure the new interface is a step up. Particularly:

1) Radius and intensity of all control points are now controlled from two different places
2) Clicking on a filter REPLACES the currently active filter, adding requires hunting for a small-ish plus sign. There is no undo if you replace by mistake, which is a pain in the ass if you had a bunch of control points
3) Interface does not remember your last settings. For example even if you select to display only your favorites next time you load all filters will be displayed. And the filters no long seem to remember your last settings.
4) Font is needlessly small and difficult to read, particularly on hi rez monitors with no apparent method for adjusting
5) Not any faster than the free version from Google

I would not spend $80 on the "upgrade".

Sep 03, 2022 at 04:57 PM
gse53
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Nik Collection 5 - anyone upgrade (that feels like a generous description)?

I waited to upgrade at $79 because I usually upgrade right away and they always give a better offer soon after. They sent me a 25% off deal recently. i just upgraded for only $59. Worth the upgrade, IMHO.

Sep 10, 2022 at 11:15 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.